Strike Force Organizations

Susano

37 minutes ago, Susano said:

Space Gamer? No, Autoduel Quarterly? Yes.

Interesting, would have sworn there were a couple of pieces so close to the style used for Affrighter there it was from you.  Might have been Interplay instead/as well.  The Metagaming house organ they printed after Steve wound up with TSG, that is.  Didn't last long.

Had the whole run of ADQ but don't recall seeing your art (or the mystery lookalike) in it.  Was it while the mag was still in the smaller format or later when they went to 8.5"x11"?

Kind of wish I still had all those mags.  Long gone now, and pdfs just wouldn't be the same.

3 hours ago, Rich McGee said:

Yeah, some of those ring a bell al right, particularly the "junker" from one of the Chassis & Crossbow articles.

I know the police car showed up ALL over the place for a while.

Yet another update! The Blood is at 5,000 words but work has slowed slightly as I puzzle out who is who. To explain, the Blood seen in Org Book 3 are not exactly the Blood as they appear in Aaron's game. I don't want to go into too many details (it will spoil the fun of discovery) but the Affrighter's true history reads like something you'd expect of the typical X-man.

5 hours ago, Susano said:

Yet another update! The Blood is at 5,000 words but work has slowed slightly as I puzzle out who is who. To explain, the Blood seen in Org Book 3 are not exactly the Blood as they appear in Aaron's game. I don't want to go into too many details (it will spoil the fun of discovery) but the Affrighter's true history reads like something you'd expect of the typical X-man.

Im thinking the group is akin to the entire New Gods of DC Comics. In there own world they are giants of emended power. But I order to wander out multiverse they must have an avatar form or risk destroying the entire universe just by being there.

The group that the Blood reminds me most of is Champions' own Empyreans, in that they're a super-powered race/lineage of great longevity living incognito among humanity; most of them a by-blow of one of their kind with a normal human; maintaining a family connection, but mostly following their own paths, heroic, villainous, or neutral. The Empyreans borrowed more elements from their own inspiration, Marvel Comics' Eternals (not the movie version), but I wonder now if the Blood might have influenced their concept as well. I should ask Steve Long that one day.

Michael, by any chance did Aaron leave a character sheet for Azor at the peak of his power? Or is it just his diminished state? Maybe one for the Commodore's ship? :bounce:

4 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The group that the Blood reminds me most of is Champions' own Empyreans, in that they're a super-powered race/lineage of great longevity living incognito among humanity; most of them a by-blow of one of their kind with a normal human; maintaining a family connection, but mostly following their own paths, heroic, villainous, or neutral. The Empyreans borrowed more elements from their own inspiration, Marvel Comics' Eternals (not the movie version), but I wonder now if the Blood might have influenced their concept as well. I should ask Steve Long that one day.

Michael, by any chance did Aaron leave a character sheet for Azor at the peak of his power? Or is it just his diminished state? Maybe one for the Commodore's ship? :bounce:

The only character sheet for Azor is the one from Organization Book 3. Granted, updating to HERO 6e proves he's no slouch, but he's not the Azor who transported thousands of people from Earth to Ean. As for Commodore... there is a whole suite of character sheets there -- for him, his vehicles (yes, plural), his base, his crew (I think), and his powered armor corp.

Just now, Stanley Teriaca said:

I'm kinda surprised that they actually shrink themselves to enter the boom tubes to go play in the DC Multiverse .

Aaron didn't use the DC Miultiverse, he used his own. He borrowed elements from the DC verse, much like he borrowed elements of the Marvel verse. The New Gods, Darkseid, and Apokolips all exist in Earth-AU, specifically (IIRC) in the Chaos/Negative Zone.

12 minutes ago, Susano said:

Aaron didn't use the DC Miultiverse, he used his own. He borrowed elements from the DC verse, much like he borrowed elements of the Marvel verse. The New Gods, Darkseid, and Apokolips all exist in Earth-AU, specifically (IIRC) in the Chaos/Negative Zone.

I understand, because it is a private game he was free to use whatever he wished whenever he wished, with nobody to stop him. And forcently for him, he was able to publish his stuff for Hero without the little borrowing from Marvel, DC, and who knows where else.

Of course in the Champions Prime universe, we got away with lots of proxy characters from both universes (and beyond... remember Zen Team?).

So, when are we going to get the Champions proxy of Ultraman and Karmen Rider 😉?

An update on Strike Force:

I am 12,000 words into The Blood, which means I am ~30,000 words into the project. I am developing various Blood NPCs for 6e, which means I am either updating them from Org Book 3, or, I am using files found in Aaron's notes.

The fun part... ("fun") is splicing together their backstories and such from various sources. Org Book 3 really only gives the basics, there's a lot more to each of the Blood, and I want to present such things in a proper manner.

Oh, 6e Azor is 814 points. 6e Affrighter? 886!

2 hours ago, dan2448 said:

I'm really happy to see this news.  I was a backer of the original Strikeforce Kickstarter (was that really so long ago as 2016?), and look forward to getting this as well!

Yeah, I keep thinking it was only a few years ago, not 8-9.

I just watched (and enjoyed) your recent interview on the BMF Podcast about this project, and enjoyed that as well!

I had been hoping since the Kickstarter for Aaron Allston's Strike Force was completed years ago that more might eventually be done with his Strike Force Universe based on the writings he left behind.  I had forgotten until you mentioned it on the podcast that this Strike Force Organizations project was originally a stretch goal for that Kickstarter that wasn't met, unfortunately. I remember now being disappointed by that at the time.  With every year that passed since then, that seemed to me increasingly unlikely. So this is really welcome news. 

(That said, it was disappointing to learn from this podcast that Aaron Allston's handwritten notes are apparently impossible for anyone else to decipher.  I assumed from that that maybe there was a little less in his posthumous files to 'work with' than I initially hoped/assumed from a distance.)

For whatever it's worth (if anything), I think it's an excellent idea to also add stats for Prowlers & Paragons (or any other super hero RPG) to this project to increase the potential audience/customer base.

I was also interested to learn that it hasn't yet been decided how/when this Strike Force Organizations project will be funded/published, and that that will be decided by Jason Walters after the manuscript is completed  and submitted to him (the goal for that being the next few months, apparently). Having just Googled Aaron Allston's name, I see that the 10th anniversary of his untimely passing will be in February.  Perhaps this project may be a way to mark that, and keep his creative work alive.

1 hour ago, dan2448 said:

That said, it was disappointing to learn from this podcast that Aaron Allston's handwritten notes are apparently impossible for anyone else to decipher.  I assumed from that that maybe there was a little less in his posthumous files to 'work with' than I initially hoped/assumed from a distance.)

While his handwritten notes are indecipherable, Aaron typed up a LOT of material for his Chronicles and also created a lot of digital files as part of his planned Strike Force Universe series of books. SO, really, I have no idea what happened in the last few games is all. On the other hand, the sheer scale of his Strike Force Universe series of books means there's a lot of gaps where he hadn't gotten around to detailing some aspect of his game.

2 hours ago, Susano said:

While his handwritten notes are indecipherable...

Now that just sounds like a challenge.  :)  I don't suppose you could post a sample for us to mull over?  Unless he used personalized shorthand or a non-English language to take notes in there's probably someone on the forum who could decipher at least part of it.

2 hours ago, Rich McGee said:

Now that just sounds like a challenge.  :)  I don't suppose you could post a sample for us to mull over?  Unless he used personalized shorthand or a non-English language to take notes in there's probably someone on the forum who could decipher at least part of it.

Anyone who has his digital file archive can find the files I am thinking of. I would need to get the file name, however.

PS: The Blood is at over 14200 words and I am about 1/3 way though the assorted NPCs. Then comes some scenarios, and then on to the Circle.

16 hours ago, Susano said:

PS: The Blood is at over 14200 words and I am about 1/3 way though the assorted NPCs. Then comes some scenarios, and then on to the Circle.

You know you're a Hero player when you see "PS: The Blood" and think it's a professional skill. ;)