Transformers Hero

Jhaierr

I am sorry to say that I cannot answer your question.

However, a while back the group I am was thinking of how we could do a "Transformers: HERO" campaign. As one of the possible GM's for this I started thinking about how it would be best to create the characters.

What I came up with is that the players create an AI. This is really and truely their character. From there the player creates an automaton with the multiform power to simulate "other vehiclular/bestial" forms.

This thread from the Old Forum Archives contains some pretty neat Transformers writeups courtesy of our resident Munchkin King, Champsguy, as well as some interesting discussion and a link to a cool website for all "official" things Transformer:

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/OtherGenres/000090.html

The writeups are for 4E HERO, but the biggest difference is that the Transformers are given Growth and Density Increase bought 0 END Persistant, Always On, which is no longer "legal" under 5E. If you don't like that it's easy to change, though.

Someone once pointed out that Japanese mecha tend to come in two flavours...Walking Tanks and "Big Guys With Metal Skin"...The quickest way to tell the difference between the two is whether they have a "face" or not...If they're supposed to be a realistic vehicles they will have some sort of boxy sensor setup...If they're supposed to be anthropomorphized then they'll have a "face" of sorts with "eyes".

So, in hero terms (if you look at it my way), the "Walking Tanks" would be made as Vehicles or automatons, and the "Big Guys with Metal Skin" would generally be made as Characters. (Since that's what they effectively are for all intensive purposes.)

Therefore, I would build Transformers like this guy did, and build them as characters. And, would probably do the same for most "Robot Superhero" shows, and possibly even Gundams. (The "pilot" becomes the character when they enter it, perhaps subtituting for the INT and EGO of the mecha.) They tend to take "stun" and react like characters do (because that's what they effectively are), so it just seems logical that they be made this way. You could skip things like "life support" if you wanted, since there's no reason for them to need it, or include it at your whim if you want to be really completist.

I guess about the only issue at hand is how to handle the size issue, but then a few levels of Growth can do that nicely enough. The idea of including "Damage Reduction" as well to simulate tough armour or just plain old size was also a cool idea too.

Good luck!

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

I know this isn't HERO Rules, but if you've got a few Transformer toys handy you can try these miniature combat rules using the toys themselves. Let's see... I've got them right... here! It's fun if you got an hour and you want to run a scenario from the old TV show (we do that all the time). If you need stats for your Transformers look them up here.

• 5 years later...

Re: Transformers Hero

Transformers HERO

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/groups/gnborh-Transformers.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transformers Resources:

Transformers - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers

Battletech/Mechwarrior Hero Resources

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31861

ROBOT WARRIORS™ to HERO System® FIFTH EDITION (Thanks Chris Goodwin)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57375&highlight=ROBOT+WARRIORS

<<>>

QM

Also, that was some major thread necromancy! :D I made the original post almost six years ago. I don't even remember making it! I have no recollection of why I created it. ... Probably something to do with transforming mecha.

for some reason Transforming Hero has been eating my brain lately.

I think its cause the tech shop dude is always playing the movie when I go in there.

I'm leaning away from Multi-Form or duplication, or anything that makes more than one character sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a strange dream about a spinoff called Transformers: Transporter. It was about a group of humans who are allied with the Autobots, sent as scouts to explore the universe (or Universes) on a special Transformer called Transporter that was capable of FTL travel in speeds that humans could make reasonable trips on (aka between adventures).

The adventure in my dream involved an alternative Earth that was getting hotter and hotter, and the human race was dying out as a result. The reason was an ailing Unicron (after a stinging defeat from Optimus Prime in the normal universe) had fled into the alternative universe and was in a position to alter Earth's orbit with its gravitational field. In addition, it had sent some of its own agents (Transformers who could look human) to try and prevent anyone from finding out this cause. I don't recall how the situation was resolved (I believe it involved tricking Unicron into leaving that universe by holographically presenting it with a non-existent army of Autobots -- which it actually feared).

The basic premise was that most life in the Universe was mechanical and humans were unique in being sentient biological creatures (as far as they could tell). This made humans special and explained the genocidal ambitions of the Decepticons on Earth.

I remember a long long time ago an old group that I was with started a game in which each player made up an autobot to represent themselves. Back then we were part of a organized gaming club. The president of the club was a school teacher whose nickname was Bingo. His autobot was Bingobot Prime (a school bus). It was about 20 years ago but we were already using Champions. It has been so long I don't remember what my own persona was. The game never got off the ground all we did was put together a few character.