Britney Spears is Supergirl!

Mutant for Hire

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

Its the bare midriff that does it.

That's pretty much what did it for me. And there was something of a Britney/Christine look to her features as well.

I think Britney would be perfect to play Supergirl - she's got that all-American spunkiness. SMG is too angsty, at least as Buffy.

SMG can do non-angst pretty well. She's done some screamingly funny comedy skits now and then. And Britney's acting abilities are a distinctly unknown quantity.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Not SMG. I loved Buffy.. so I never want her to get a job outside the franchise ever, ever again. :D

But seriously? Like Agent Elrond, for me she just doesn't work in any other role. It breaks the cord required for suspension of disbelief (as I then realize "it's just an actor").

Most actors I can appreciate in multiple roles... some are too memorable.

I can deal with SMG in different roles much more easily than Agent Elrond, although he got easier to work with mentally after the first LOTR movie. SMG has done quite a few SNL skits (the FOTR one with Jack Black is awesome, the Spiderman one is tantalising to say the least) and other movies like Cruel Intentions, Scooby Doo etc (although I will admit in Scream 2 I kept hoping she would kick ass instead of die) so I could work with her as Supergirl - even as I sit here typing looking at my Buffy calendar on the wall :)

Originally posted by wcw43921

While I don't want to see this turned into a BATS Britney thread, I always thought if anyone was a close match for Supergirl, it was Sarah Michelle Gellar--which is why I found it interesting when it was rumored that David Boreanaz might play Superman in an upcoming movie.

I said to myself-- "Well, I may not have hit the bullseye, but I did hit the outer rim of the target."

Besides, we all know Christina's the model for Sapphire of the Champions.

Really? I always thought she looked alot more like Jennifer Lopez to me.

I don't get any connection with Sarah Michelle Gellar's appearance and the usual depiction of Supergirl. From what I've seen of Supergirl, I think an athletic Bridgette Wilson would be a better visual fit although I don't know if she has the screen presence to pull it off.

As far as Superman, I would hope they would move away from having trendy supermodel guys and stick with a guy who actually looks like he's in his 30s, tall, dark, handsome, with very broad shoulder and the pectoral development that is always suggested by Superman art. Lean, wiry guys who appear to be in their early 20s are wrong for the part.

I think Christopher Reeve fitted the bill perfectly for the movies (well the first two especially) as Superman. Loved the fact he was in Smallville. I also like Tom Welling as Clark although he would need to 'fill out' a bit more before putting on the blue suit (not to say he's puny or anything, but like the previous poster mentioned he's perhaps a bit too tall and wiry right now).

Given the last two Reeves who have filled the blue tights, I think Keeanu would do best to just say "whoa."

Has supergirl ever been anything other than eyecandy, used back in the days of the CC to prove that Jimmy Olsen was in fact NOT Clark's catamite? Not that there's anything wrong with eye candy, but I never gave her much respect to begin with. Abs of steel, buns of steel, etc. Yum?

I think SMG is a good actress, and perhaps even a decent person, but she is not right for Supergirl.

The problem is not her acting, it is her size, she is just too darned skinny.

I am getting so tired of having these walking toothpicks presented as the paragons of the female (and male) form.

I am not advocating Anna Nicole Smith for the role, but I think someone who looks like they have had a decent meal in the last three years would be nice.

Buffy is just not "buff" enough to play the part.

They left Krypton because it was going to explode, not because of a famine!

Buffy was supposed to have strength from a "supernatural" source, so for her the "skinny girl who is super strong" bit worked great, but Supergirl is supposed to be actually filled out and strong looking, and by that I do not mean someone who looks like a skeleton covered with beef jerky (like some of the "fitness" women look).

Just my cranky opinion,

KA

Take another look at the Wizard cover at the top of the thread - Supergirl is not super-buff, from that picture she looks downright skinny. I don't think Supergirl has ever been of Amazonian proportions in the comic books now that I think of it, she's always been small next to Superman (and to reiterate, not especially muscular).

Let's not forget we're talking about SuperGIRL here, and not SuperWOMAN. SMG would be just fine :)

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

But seriously? Like Agent Elrond, for me she just doesn't work in any other role. It breaks the cord required for suspension of disbelief (as I then realize "it's just an actor").

Most actors I can appreciate in multiple roles... some are too memorable.

Presumably you haven't ever seen "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert".

That's the image of Hugo Weaving I took into the Matrix.

Alan

Originally posted by BoneDaddy

Has supergirl ever been anything other than eyecandy, used back in the days of the CC to prove that Jimmy Olsen was in fact NOT Clark's catamite?

Supergirl (the original one) was Superman's cousin. Their relationship was explicitly not sexual.

Alan

Originally posted by assault

Supergirl (the original one) was Superman's cousin. Their relationship was explicitly not sexual.

Alan

/comicgeek on

/comicgeek cranked up to 11

Actually, the ORIGINAL Supergirl was created by a wish of Jimmy Olson's for a mate for Superman. The whole Kara Zor El thing happened later.

/comicgeek off

As to Supergirl's appearance... I used to be fond of a certain model of Steele for the role but I can't say I still feel that way.

Originally posted by TheEmerged

Actually, the ORIGINAL Supergirl was created by a wish of Jimmy Olson's for a mate for Superman. The whole Kara Zor El thing happened later.

There's nothing worse than being out-geeked. :)

To cover my chagrin, I will point out that there were at least two stories where Jimmy Olsen disguised himself as a woman.

Then again, Jimmy also turned into a human porcupine at one point, so we probably shouldn't read too much into it.

Alan

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Vorsch

I thought supergirl was a purple protoplasmic robot created by good/egomaniac lex luthor of an alternate reality dead world, as a replacement for the insanely powerful superboy.

Its been a while since i read comics so its all probable changed now.

Yep. Until that comic comes out, there never has been (and still isn't) ANY entity known as Supergirl.

'Leastways, as far as I know.

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

Yep. Until that comic comes out, there never has been (and still isn't) ANY entity known as Supergirl.

'Leastways, as far as I know.

Sorry but there has been a comic series featuring Supergirl, the Supergirl who was the cousin to Superman. I still have some of the comics from that comic series. So, yes, there was a Supergirl.

Originally posted by Tech

Sorry but there has been a comic series featuring Supergirl, the Supergirl who was the cousin to Superman. I still have some of the comics from that comic series. So, yes, there was a Supergirl.

Yes, but not in the post-Crisis continuity. :(

Alan

Super girl:

I: Wished From Jimmy to give Superman a mate

II: Superman's Cousin (Kara Zor El)

A. Died in the Crisis of Infinite Earths, written out of continuincy

III: Supergirl

A: Created By Lex Luther of Pocket Universe where Superboy servived the crisis

B: Came to earth with Superman, was taken to kent farm to recover

C. Assumed ID of Supergirl and started dating Lex Luther (Who was a clone saying he was the son of theo riginal)

D. Realised Lex was scumm ball and left

E. Merged with Linda Danners and became an "Earth Angel"

F: Met an angelic being named Kara (Note so did Deadman)

G. Lost most of her powers and started wearing costume from S:TAS

H. Met up with Kara Zor El, Via Hyper Time took her place, but in the end had to sacrifive Kara once again to save the universe

I. Retired from Heroing (But she is still out there somewhere, THANK YOU PETER DAVID FOR NOT KILLING HER THIS TIME

IV: New Supergirl claiming to be Superman's daughter, she was created by some aliens called the "weapons smiths" IIRC

V Superwoman: a foot note character from the future who uses advance technology/natural future abilities to fight crime in the present, sufferes from partial amnesia, only about 3 appearences, all Pre Crisis

Originally posted by JmOz

V Superwoman: a foot note character from the future who uses advance technology/natural future abilities to fight crime in the present, sufferes from partial amnesia, only about 3 appearences, all Pre Crisis

IIRC, there was the evil Superwoman from Earth III?