Dual Multipowers

Ellis

If I ever build my 350 pt. version of Seeker hes going to have 3 Multipowers.

the first will be for his weapons,the second for his Movement powers (I'm giving him Clinging, Accurate Leaping,Running,Swinging & Tunneling) & the third Multipower will be limited to the following slots:Armor with a+1 to Concealment & similar skills & Combat Luck (bought as a Power).

I recently built an electrical character with three Multipowers. One is her ability to handle the flow of electricity, either out (attacks) or in (absorbtion with linked defense only against electricity). The second is her ability to travel via electricity (leaping, teleport over conductive material, and megascale teleport over conductive material). The third is her ability to assume an electrical form, either partially (force field) or completely (desolidification).

Mathematically, I guess it wouldn't make any difference whether they were split into three Multipowers or lumped into one huge one where none of the slots took up the whole reserve. But keeping them separate better suits the SFX (and keeps me from the temptation of letting her attack powers creep higher... ;) )

I wouldn't say that...

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Mathematically, I guess it wouldn't make any difference whether they were split into three Multipowers or lumped into one huge one where none of the slots took up the whole reserve. But keeping them separate better suits the SFX (and keeps me from the temptation of letting her attack powers creep higher... ;) )

There is a BIG difference, actually... Let's say you have Multipower A, Multipower B, and Multipower C...

Assuming we're talking about Ultra Slots in all the Multipowers, for clarity, you can have one A power, one B power, and one C power going at any time...

If you put them all in one Multipower, with a reserve equal to the sum of the AP of the three largest slots, then you could opt to have three A powers going at once if you wanted... Which you could NOT do the other way, and which is why, I would say, the rules for Multipowers are written as they are...

Re: I wouldn't say that...

Originally posted by Foxiekins

If you put them all in one Multipower, with a reserve equal to the sum of the AP of the three largest slots

If you made the reserve equal to the sum of the three largest slots, then it wouldn't be mathematically the same as three separate Multipowers anymore (unless the three Multipowers just happened to have all had identical reserves). I'm talking about making the new reserve the sum of the three old reserves.
then you could opt to have three A powers going at once if you wanted...
Probably not, depending on the points (see above). But theoretically, yes. Another reason for keeping them separate to enforce the SFX. It may not be logical within their conception for them to be able to maintain three A powers.
Which you could NOT do the other way, and which is why, I would say, the rules for Multipowers are written as they are...
I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Besides the three multipowers possibly having different sets of limitations, the best reason not to have them all part of one big multipower is so they don't all get nuked at the same time if you run into somebody with a really badass suppress or dispel or something.

Current record: 3 multipowers and 2 VPPs on the same character.

Originally posted by TheEmerged

You could also use twin multipowers for multiple-power attacks (MPA's). I believe the Mechanon writeup in Champions has two, for example...

Exactly so, a Primary and Secondary Weapons Array. One drawback of his design, though, is that some of his Combat Skill Levels only apply to the Primary Array, so his Multiple-Power Attacks would have a lower OCV. (That may have been a deliberate choice by Steve Long, though, to keep him from being too overwhelming.)

Exercising my inner Champsguy :D , I noticed that if you combined Mechanon's two Multipower Reserves into one while keeping the the slots the same cost, you could use two weapon slots simultaneously for a Multiple Power Attack (perfectly legal) while getting the benefit of all Mechanon's CSLs for the combined attack.

Another rationale for having two separate Multipowers would be if they each have different Special Effects. For example, I have a PC in my current campaign who is both scientist and sorceror, and has one MP for technological devices and another for magic spells.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Another rationale for having two separate Multipowers would be if they each have different Special Effects. For example, I have a PC in my current campaign who is both scientist and sorceror, and has one MP for technological devices and another for magic spells.

Funny...my current PC, Dr. Anomaly, is also a scientist-sorceror, but I did it with two VPPs (75 pt gadget, 30 pt magic) and a buttload of skills.

My character, Microman II, has two multipowers and a VPP. The mulitpowers are his Shrink Tricks ( stuff like Desolid and Microverse travel ), and Utility Powers ( miscellaneous internal gadgets and weapons ). the VPP is a Skill Pool.

I while you could theoretically combine the two mpp, it would make no sense in terms of sfx, which to me, is the most important determinant.

True, its a "DM approval" power construct, but it fits the character perfectly, and the contents of the database are subject to DM discretion. Besides, its a 750 point campaign; more leeway is required for high-powered characters.

( translation: the team already has a Damage Reduction/Absorbtion combo, a 0 END LoS 80 point Cosmic Power Pool, a 135 point Psionic Power Pool, an 80 point Psionic Cosmic Power Pool, a 30 point Gadget pool than can effectively be changed at will, and multiple different NNDs; a little 6 point skill pool isn't gonna break anything. . . )