Harbinger of Justice

Metaphysician

Originally posted by Bill_CCHKK

Because then it would still add to skill rolls? Maybe he didn't want a 17- will all DEX-based skills.

Just a guess.

But the limitation he took is more limiting than a -1/2. Perhaps not enough to get a -3/4, but it should be more than -1/4.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Gary

Why didn't he just take Does Not Add to Figured Characteristics for -1/2? That was still legal in 4th Edition.

'cause with 700+ points, Steve didn't give a damn?

Originally posted by Bill_CCHKK

If I remember correctly, Steve posted in a similar thread one time that the Harbinger of Justice started out as a normal level character (250 points, probably, given the timeframe) and that everything that was shown in Dark Champions was accrued experience.

Now *that's* scary.

From his DC writeup: with all Powers, Skills, Talents and Perks factored in, HoJ weighed in at 895 points. For a street-level PC.

Scary is right.

Well, there's "street level" and then there's "street level." ;) I don't think Harbinger was a PC in a street-level campaign per se. I think he was the "street-flavored" PC in a normal supers campaign. So I don't think he was just going up against thugs and low-powered wackos... he was going up against actual supervillains. Of course, he is still a butt-kicker par excellence. ;)

Also, I have a vague recollection of hearing that Steve's original character wasn't quite as high-powered as Harbinger is in the book, but that the Hero guys at the time asked him to beef Harbinger up to give an example of what a powerful "street type" character in a supers game could look like. (I'm not sure about this, but that's my recollection.)

Originally posted by levi

The HoJ may make it into the supplement but as we have seen in all of the 5th Ed books, he may be drastically different than previously published.

Yes, but those characters were either altered or left out because Steve didn't like the old versions of them, whee as HoJ is Steve's baby. He may not show up in the DC genre, but I'd bet he'll show up somewhere in the 5th edition.

Originally posted by TheImperialKhan

So, is Harbinger going to make it into Dark Champions this time around?

Based on the blurb in "Our Products" I'd guess not, he really doesn't seem to fit very well any more. But around here you can never be sure.

I'm not sure if HoJ will make it into Dark Champions or not, but keep in mind that DC is a genre book along the lines of Fantasy Hero or Star Hero, not a campaign book. DC deals with the entire "normals" genre. Everything from SWAT teams to James Bond to low-level supers. My guess is that HoJ will make it into the Hudson City campaign book, which, IIRC, deals with the low-level supers stuff.

Originally posted by death tribble

He is referenced in the Champions Universe so it is likely we will see him. The Harbinger that is.

He is?! Where? I didn't see him in the Champions Universe book itself. :confused:

I used HoJ a few times in a past campaign, once as a foe for the PCs (who were much more "four color" in their ethics), and once as an (uncomfortable) ally against a common enemy. Eventually the PC heroes determined to track him down and stop him, which turned into a pretty memorable story arc.

FWIW I made the secret ID of the Harbinger Donald Henderson, aka the Marksman from George MacDonald's "Guardians" campaign, a bunch of old Champions book covers, and the Champions comic-book series. The Marksman came into contact with the mystic Skull Pendant (from To Serve and Protect), which warped his desire for justice to an extreme level. The Marksman officially "retired" from superheroics before HoJ appeared on the scene.

Henderson had been one of the PC team's financial backers and his company provided much of their electronic equipment, so the players were very ambivalent toward him after they finally caught him - which led to some great roleplaying. :) They were able to reverse the influence of the Skull Pendant on him, but Henderson still insisted on being tried for his crimes as the Harbinger. The extenuating circumstances led to him receiving a sentence of life imprisonment rather than the death penalty.

BTW the Marksman's symbol was a black cross in a white circle over the heart of his uniform, I assume representing the crosshairs of a gunsight. Although it had no religious significance to the character, I rationalized that the fact that the Cross and the Crescent have been portrayed at odds so often in history inspired him to adopt the "crescent moon" for his symbol as the Harbinger.

Well, it seems from what little I know that Dark Champions *could* coincide with the Champions U, just with a different focus. The sticking point would be Hudson City, and why its so different from other cities, and lacking in public high-end superheroes. I'm sure *some* explanation could be whipped up, like a local oddity in the mana level or something.