Need help with Black Paladin's new sword.

JohnOSpencer

In my campaign, Black Paladin had his sword taken from him to give a hero back his shadow. He has since claimed another magic sword of undefined ablilities. I need help making it up without making it too powerful. My PCs are at about standard champions level(20-30 def). Black Paladin has about 110 points to spend on it.

I have a tenative name, but will definatly listen to other suggestions.

The name I have is "Soul Breaker".

Thanks for any help.

John Spencer

Taking off the beaten path (not that anyone is here yet) but I'd rather avoid Excalibur, any Soul Swords or even Need(Mercedes Lackey's Spirit sword).

Rather i would suggest Sunguide

Dawn 3-4d6 Hka OAF Sword. This is the power of the edge of the blade.

Midday 8d6 Sight Flash Not at night or in darkness OAF Sword. This is a reflective gleam from the highly polished center of the swords blade that can be used to blind opponents.

Eventide Missile Deflection OAF Sword. This is the power of the back of the blade. Though of course this is not allways deflection (it could be simple avoidance).

the Scabbard too could have powers

Dusk the character gains Night vision (or Combat Sense) IIF Scabbard

Midnight Change Environment -4 to opponents Dex rolls, Or Invisibility, Not During the day IIF Scabbard.

Predawn +2 HTH Combat levels UBO x2 others at range Persistant.

IIF Scabbard.

the character could also attach himself to an Element (rather than light or darkness)

You might consider making the sword an OIF , to avoid the PCs just taking it again.

Give the sword additional attacks that could be used for multiple attacks or sweeps.

Going with the soul-stealing motif:

-Perhaps a stun and/or body transfer that adds to BP's stun total.

- Maybe a no-range telepathy linked to one of his attacks.

- Maybe a no-range possession type attack (ala Jericho of the Teen Titans).

Originally posted by ChuckB

I like that idea. Aside from the basic KA, it also has a function that works as Mind Control or a Transform: slave of the sword wielder. In this attack mode, the blade passes through the target, turning them into a puppet of whoever holds/wears the sword.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

I like that idea. Aside from the basic KA, it also has a function that works as Mind Control or a Transform: slave of the sword wielder. In this attack mode, the blade passes through the target, turning them into a puppet of whoever holds/wears the sword.

That works too , but I was thinking more along the lines of the sword and its wielder both disappearing inside of whomever they possess.

I would avoid the sword altogether. Having the Black Paladin show up with another sword, especially one that is bigger and better is really taking a victory by the heroes and making it a loss. I would give the BP a flying nightmare (non-winged flying demonic horse with flaming hooves) or a dragon. Having the 110 points to spend on a follower and possibly a decent lance attack would ramp him up, make him cooler and not take the PC's victory away.

Guest cubist

Go with something along the lines of the Soulsword that Magik of the NewMutants had- can cut through magic walls, dispels any magical powers affecting anyone hit, only harms those who use or are magic in nature, etc. It would be somewhat in character for him to use such a weapon and would be very effective if the PCs contain one or more magical beings or magic users.

Originally posted by Vex

I would avoid the sword altogether. Having the Black Paladin show up with another sword, especially one that is bigger and better is really taking a victory by the heroes and making it a loss. I would give the BP a flying nightmare (non-winged flying demonic horse with flaming hooves) or a dragon. Having the 110 points to spend on a follower and possibly a decent lance attack would ramp him up, make him cooler and not take the PC's victory away.

The only real reason the PCs got the sword is because I didn't really like the way it worked. Although one of the PCs lost his shadow, I thought it was kinda weird and ulikely to affect most PCs.

One of the PCs actually was there and tried to prevent him from taking the new sword. The Powered armor guy, without power armor, challenged Black Paladin, without his armor and weapons, to a one on one fight. He sucked up hits long enough for the innocents to get away. Unfortunatly, he was no match for him.

As for the steed and all, I am about to run Shades of Black, and that covers that.

John

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Taking off the beaten path (not that anyone is here yet) but I'd rather avoid Excalibur, any Soul Swords or even Need(Mercedes Lackey's Spirit sword).

Rather i would suggest Sunguide

While I think this sword is really neat(and I may have another use for it). It doesn't really fit Black Paladin.

John Spencer

Originally posted by ChuckB

You might consider making the sword an OIF , to avoid the PCs just taking it again.

Give the sword additional attacks that could be used for multiple attacks or sweeps.

Going with the soul-stealing motif:

-Perhaps a stun and/or body transfer that adds to BP's stun total.

- Maybe a no-range telepathy linked to one of his attacks.

I don't mind the PCs taking the sword away, he can usually get it back.

I really like these ideas. Thanks.

John Spencer

Originally posted by JohnOSpencer

While I think this sword is really neat(and I may have another use for it). It doesn't really fit Black Paladin.

John Spencer

In fact I would go so far as to say that sword is more appropriate for a superhero then a supervillain like Black Paladin. Perhaps a rival of his? OH! Character idea! *files it away for later use*

Here's what I got.

Cost Power END
90 Soul Breaker: Multipower, 180-point reserve, all slots OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1)
6u 1) Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1) plus Transfer 2d6 (STUN to STUN), Can Transfer Maximum Of 50 Points, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1)
3u 2) Channel Soul: Energy Blast 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defense; +1 1/2); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Takes 1d6 STUN every use.; -1/2)
8u 3) Soul Taint: Energy Blast 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), No Normal Defense (Soulless or Non-Humanoid; +1); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1), No Range (-1/2) plus Major Transform 4d6 (Human into Weilder's Slave), Works vs Ego, not Body. (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1), Linked (Energy Blast; -1/4)
5u 4) Soul Twist: Ego Attack 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1), No Range (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Uses DEX, not EGO to hit. (-1/4) plus Mind Control 12d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (Enchanted Sword; -1), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Ego Attack; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Uses DEX, not EGO to hit. (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 112

What do you all think?

John Spencer

I think slot (2) has a Side Effect limitation that doesn't meet the minimum power level of a side effect? 1d6 STUN-only is a 5cp effect...?

Anyway, how about

Blind The Soul - Flash vs. everything, or Darkness w/ PI

Soul Sight - Detect Souls, Full Sense, Discriminatory

Steal Soul - Entangle, BOECV, invisible, doesn't block anything

There's nothing wrong with Black Paladin having a magic weapon- but does it have to be another sword? Think about a mace, hammer, military pick, flail, scourge, or even something whacky like a Lucern Hammer (the Babe Ruth of polearms)!

You might even give him a modern equivalent of a sword, something like a long taser, or a monofilament whip.

The one thing I would avoid with a character named "paladin" (good or evil), is a distance attack weapon. It's out of flavor I think.

Have you thought about him changing his name to "Blackguard"? That's the name of evil ex-paladins in the D&D 3E.

How about...How about if it's more of a "soul TAKER"

Give him a summon that can someone a ghostly doppleganger of anyone that his sword has drawn blood from. Jack up the sword a little bit if you need, too, but what if it's not the be-all end-all of his offensive ability.

Just off the top of my head you'd have the summon "soul-slave" and then maybe you can add some sort of incremental/triggered attack on whoever was copied. The longer their soul is enslaved, the more they suffer. Or of the soul-slave is ever "killed" they take a big whammy. Also, give him some bonuses to some stats per soul he has taken or something neat like that (like more stun and end, he fuels himself off their souls. Maybe even strength or something).

It's kind of a variation on the ol' mind control method. But a little cut on Heroman's NPC and then what does he do? The soul-slave doesn't necessarily have to mimic the powers of the target, it can have its own suite of powers (because you might not have the points to totally mimic some targets). They could be confused, mindlessly controlled, reliant on their "soul disruptive touch" or whatever.

Then you can roll in the points from his weak demons (why use them now?) and the sword. Suddenly, they can't just pound all the goons... every one of them is connected, somehow, to an innocent.