Increasing Casual STR

devlin1

Re: Increasing Casual STR

Originally posted by devlin1

Is it legal/accepted to put a Limitation on STR that's "Only to increase Casual STR"? If so, what would it be worth?

If not, why? I can imagine why, but I'd like to hear other perspectives.

Im pretty sure Ive seen this before. I would call it a -2, but if it is printed it will probably be a -1 as limits on STR usually dont go below that despite all the many things that STR normally does.

Of course, combined w/ No Figured, even with a -1 for the Casual Only, it would total to -1 1/2 so every 10 points of STR bought this way would cost 4 points.

...but it would be handy to represent a guy who doesn't let obstacles like people and cars get in his way.

That's why there's a power called "Flight." :D

I take it this is for a villain? It's hard to see anything heroic in a character who throws pedestrians and cars around just because they happen to get in his way.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

I take it this is for a villain? It's hard to see anything heroic in a character who throws pedestrians and cars around just because they happen to get in his way.

It's a largely rhetorical question, actually, but yes, I wouldn't buy STR this way for a decent, law-abiding character. :)

That's a good point. The definition for a -2 Limitation, IIRC, is the power losing almost all of its effectiveness. Is having additional STR only for this purpose as bad having additional STR that's, say, No Conscious Control (which, in itself, has all kinds of possibilities as well)? I think not.

So, upon review, I'd make it worth less. Between -1 and -1 1/2, IMO.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I agree it's a -2, though I feel Casual STR is a bit more useful/important than Gary implies. (Shrugging off Grabs and Entangles and shouldering aside obsticals.)

Not nearly as important as Figured Characteristics, damage, and lifting.

Also, bear in mind that you need +10 str with this limitation to get +5 casual str.

That's a good point. The definition for a -2 Limitation, IIRC, is the power losing almost all of its effectiveness. Is having additional STR only for this purpose as bad having additional STR that's, say, No Conscious Control (which, in itself, has all kinds of possibilities as well)? I think not.

Not nearly enough of a limitation. Consider if you only made it a -1 limitation:

+10 str "Casual Str only". Real cost 5 pts.

Or you can do this:

+10 str and sell back 5 stun. Real cost 5 pts.

You get the same casual str as the first, but you also get +2 PD, +2 Rec, +2" leap, +2d6 damage, and X4 lifting capacity.

I would strongly consider giving it more than -2 limitation, except that -2 is as high as it ever gets under normal circumstances.

Re: Increasing Casual STR

Is it legal/accepted to put a Limitation on STR that's "Only to increase Casual STR"? If so, what would it be worth?

Oh yeah, I guess we forgot to tell you: yes, we think it's legal but I guess ya figured that from our posts, eh?

With only a -1 Limitation, Casual STR would cost the same as regular STR. Casual STR is about a half effective as normal STR, or maybe less, so should cost half as much. At -2, Casual STR costs 10 points for 15 Casual STR. In any case I'd say that only getting to use, at most, half the value for very limited uses and under restricted circumstances losing almost all of it's effectiveness.

Well, let's see, for a 40 STR PC, this would cost 13 extra points if it were a -2, in order to have a 40 STR at all times(casually shrugging off grabs and entangles).

And you'd want to buy it at 0 END, presumably, which would make the cost more like 20 points.

For 60 STR, the net cost would be 30 points.

Juggernaut would be a good exemplar of someone whose casual STR could equal full STR--you'd also want to give him Knockback resistance equal to his full STR DC in inches(somewhere between 16 and 25").

theoretically, you might want to allow full STR damage on move-bys, as well. Obviously that could get abusive.

What about characters that just have more Casual STR than you would expect...?

Example from my old campaigns: METALMAN...

He had a 20 STR, and then got 4 levels of permanent Density Increase on top of that... I figure he would have 40 STR, but a Casual STR of 30... In 4th edition it was easy to make him, since I could just buy Density Increase Always On, and have GM Fiat declare that the STR from Density Increase added equally to STR and Casual STR... In 5th Edition, I can't do that anymore, which is why this thread interests me...

Except that Always Dense characters are now supposed to be built by buying the abilities the Density Increase would give them, instead of buying Density Increase itself, which calls for actually purchasing the ability in question, along with everything else...