Pacifist Fu

Sociotard

I've been chipping away at 'Pacifist Fu', a martial art for a character who has taken an oath of non-violence. I really need to get martial hero. Soon. I had some questions.

Cost Maneuver OCV DCV Notes
4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort
4 Dodge -1 +1 Dodge All Attacks, Abort
4 Disarm 0 +5 Disarm, +10 Str
4 Escape 0 0 +15 Str vs. Grabs
4 Hold -1 -1 +10 Str for Holding On
Acrobatics

Breakfall

Stealth

Combat Luck

I wanted a few other things in it that I don't know how to build. For example, I wanted a "Fakeout" maneuver. It would fool anyone into thinking he was throwing a punch, causing them (hopefully) to act defensively. I was thinking Mental Illusions (even danger sense would be fooled, this way), but how would that get written up as a maneuver?

Is there a way to do a throw that wouldn't include the usual STR + vel/5?

Are there martial versions of "Roll with a Punch", and "Dive for Cover"?

Anything else you think this could use?

Re: Pacifist Fu

I know I generally like to steer away from custom manuvers and just adapt what they have, but on occasion, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. (Oh, and I do recommend the Ultimate Martial Artist).

I don't remember point costs off the top of my head, but I know that the existing throw you mention is +0 OCV/+1 DCV/STR+(v/5)/Target falls prone for only 3pts. I'd just modify it to something like +2 OCV/-1 DCV/Target falls prone, for 3pts.

I made it -1 DCV because in a way you're trying to get in front of the attack, and you're sacrificing some of your safety to slow the opponent's momentum as you put him down.

I don't remember point costs off the top of my head, but I know that the existing throw you mention is +0 OCV/+1 DCV/STR+(v/5)/Target falls prone for only 3pts. I'd just modify it to something like +2 OCV/-1 DCV/Target falls prone, for 3pts.

I made it -1 DCV because in a way you're trying to get in front of the attack, and you're sacrificing some of your safety to slow the opponent's momentum as you put him down.

Very nice! I wonder if I could do something similar with Sacrifice Throw. Oh! I have an idea!

4pts Pin +1 OCV 0 DCV Grab Two Limbs; Target Falls; You Fall.

Reversal would be good' date=' Grappling (Grabbing?) Block too.[/quote'] What does 'Reversal' mean?
Don't forget the root maneuver.

For the fake out I would allow that as a sleight of hand roll.

What does 'Root' mean? The sleight of hand bit is interesting, like using bluff in D&D.

Very nice! I wonder if I could do something similar with Sacrifice Throw. Oh! Idea!

4pts Pin +2 OCV 0 DCV Grab Two Limbs; Target Falls; You Fall. What does 'Reversal' mean? What does 'Root' mean? The sleight of hand bit is interesting, like using bluff in D&D.

I reversal is a maneuver whereby the held individual reverses the hold.

Root is essentially the opposite of a shove. Its a manuever in the UMA.

As for sleight of hand - I grant a DCV/OCV bonus based on the the sleight of hand roll for feints. The player has to tell me which effect they want before they roll. The margin of success determines the bonus.

I think you should definately pick up UMA, sociotard.

Grappling Block, Reversal, and Root are all in there, and would be very well suited for the kind of defensive martial art you're trying to construct. You might also give him a Nerve Strike, since it would similate the ability to stun someone without doing any damage -- depends how how pacifistic the character is.

Grappling Block, BTW, is like other block maneuvers, but you end up holding one of the attacker's limbs.

Revearsal is like in amature wrestling, when in one fluid movement you slide loose and wind up gripping the other guy; or in Professional Wrestling, like where you've got the opponent in a submission hold (grab w/squeeze) and you manage to flip it so the other guy is held and taking damage (Like a figure-four leg lock).

Been a long time since I saw wrestling, but I remember that move because my brother and I used to try to do that to each other :)

You might also give him a Nerve Strike' date=' since it would similate the ability to stun someone without doing any damage -- depends how [i']how[/i] pacifistic the character is.
Possibly. In a heroic campaign, would you allow a Nerve Pinch to be sweet and painless like spock does it? I was going to throw it in, but the first Nerve Pinch listed in FREd is the Groin Strike :eek: !

That does it, it's time to bite the bullet. I'm ordering the Vehicle/martial artist combo tonight.

Another option might be to put a Drain on the character, so your passivist ways take the wind out of your opponents sails.

Or as an opton to the Martial manuevers, translate the damage to a STR drain, It wouldnt be much, but after a flurry of combat that isnt seeming to do anything to him, he will find that his muscles have locked, and that 45 str brute, is now throwing a 3d6 punch

Is there a way to do a throw that wouldn't include the usual STR + vel/5?

There are three throws in UMA (Grappling Throw, Takedown and Legsweep) that do not use the velocity damage option. If you have UMA, you can use the rules in it to build a custom manuever that does no damage (I did it back with the 4th ed. Ninja Hero). You could even mix it with an abort basis like block or bind.

Possibly. In a heroic campaign' date=' would you allow a Nerve Pinch to be sweet and painless like spock does it? I was going to throw it in, but the first Nerve Pinch listed in FREd is the [i']Groin Strike[/i] :eek: !

That does it, it's time to bite the bullet. I'm ordering the Vehicle/martial artist combo tonight.

Remember that HERO is a tookit full of mechanics. The SFX is up to you. I've designed Mentalists with an Ego Attack defines as euphoria. I'm sure you can do the same with Nerve Strike. (Choke Hold, probably not.... :eek: nevermind where my mind just went :D )

Thinking more about martial variants of Dive for Cover and Roll with a Punch

5 Martial Roll with a Punch -1 -1 "Block" after being hit, take 1/2 damage vs. HTH and EB attacks, Abort
4 Martial Dive for Cover 0 0 Make Dex Roll at -1/1", Character is not at 1/2 dcv afterward, abort
Too Power-gamish?

Thinking more about martial variants of Dive for Cover and Roll with a Punch

5 Martial Roll with a Punch -1 -1 "Block" after being hit, take 1/2 damage vs. HTH and EB attacks, Abort
4 Martial Dive for Cover 0 0 Make Dex Roll at -1/1", Character is not at 1/2 dcv afterward, abort
Too Power-gamish?

Dive For Cover, if you'd call it that, is covered by Flying Dodge in UMA (+4 DCV plus up to a Full Move, or 1/2 Move is you've already made one). And there's no DEX roll!

I'd just say a Martial Roll with a Punch is a simply +2 OCV with Roll with a Punch for 4 points. A DCV mod wouldn't make much sense.

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort
4 Dodge -1 +1 Dodge All Attacks, Abort
4 Disarm 0 +5 Disarm, +10 Str
4 Escape 0 0 +15 Str vs. Grabs
4 Hold -1 -1 +10 Str for Holding On
Acrobatics

Breakfall

Stealth

Combat Luck

Sorry, I'm easily confused. Are the OCV and DCV values switched for Dodge and Disarm? :confused:

I usually add some minor defensive powers to my Martial artists to keep them from getting creamed in one shot, should they be surprised, asleep, or whatever: +2 DCV (costs END is optional) and 25% rPD DR. for 25 points, they get defenses that don't seem much like defenses, that can simulate things like rolling with a punch or blocking the brunt of an attack. I imagine a lot of the pure fighters in the Marvel Universe, like Cap and Daredevil, carry around a small number of these types of non-powers.