Statting up NPCs on the fly.

Mark Taylor

I'll soon be running a HERO System campaign, and HERO is a touch more complex than systems I've tended to run previously. As my GMing style is very improvisational, I tend to make up a lot of NPCs, sometimes fairly major NPCs, "on the fly" when the PCs actually encounter them. I've been giving some thought to how best to do this in the HERO System. I certainly don't want to change my GM style to suit HERO System's comparatively rules-heavy approach better – that would defeat a large part of the point – which is that switching to HERO should give me more flexibility, not less, and the point of my improvisational style of gaming is also to give me the most possible flexibility in my game. Coming up with personalities and such for NPCs on the fly is no problem – it's the stats that pose the problem, so I decided the best way to get me started was to come up with a basic process, which could be elaborated and modified as circumstances require. This process is deliberately spread out over several steps that happen at different times so that the game will never have to come to a dead stop while I scribble down stats. It isn't intended to calculate NPCs' point totals – that's not important, it can be done after the game session if the NPC will be used again. I was wondering if anybody had anything to add, or any other advice that might help, or just an opinion on how well this might work. Note also that this is in essence a rather rough first draft. I'm sure to have missed something out. Feel free to point it out.

---

A) If the PCs first encounter the NPC in combat, it goes something like this:

1. Decide on DEX. This gives base CV, and base SPD simply by dropping the last digit and adding +1; decide whether SPD will be boosted beyond base and determine final SPD.

2. Begin combat; I don't need to know anything else – yet.

3. When the NPC is first attacked, decide their STR and CON. This also determines PD and ED, which I can decide whether to boost or not as with SPD above; decide whether they have any CSLs which can be applied to defense; also, do they have any armor? If so, decide on rPD / rED and/or Damage Reduction. I probably don't need to know their BODY or STUN yet, unless they take an awful lot of damage in one segment. If the NPC will have any major defensive powers or maneuvers than can be aborted to, I also need to determine that now.

4. When the NPC first attacks (obviously this might happen before step 3, in which case the order of these steps is reversed), decide STR if it hasn't been decided already. Decide on what attack ability the NPC will use. If it is based on a Power which uses END, determine how many active points are in it. (I don't need to know real points). The quick reference to power costs in the HERO System resource kit should enable me to do this very quickly in most cases. Decide whether the NPC has any CSLs which he can apply to that attack ability.

5. When the first Post-Segment 12 crops up I need to determine BODY, then STUN, END and REC if the NPC has been injured or used any END. Otherwise I can probably wait until next time. Nine times out of ten I should already have all the primary characteristics these are derived from at this stage. If not, determine those now.

B) If the PCs first encounter the NPC in a non-combat situation, define their INT, EGO, COM and PRE, as these are most relevant to non-combat interaction. Besides that, there is no defined procedure - I determine what I need as and when I need it.

---

Obviously these procedures will need to vary based on what actually occurs in a given encounter. For example, if the character uses or is targeted by mental or presence attacks obviously I will have to determine EGO and / or PRE at the appropriate times. Its purpose is to serve as a framework for what needs to be done while I'm still learning to run the system. With sufficient practice it should become second nature. I'll write out a more detailed procedure later with some more options included once I've had some feedback on this first draft.

I deliberately didn't mention things like disadvantages and perks. I'll handle them the way I handle their equivalents in any other system – by role playing the NPC and then writing them up later, based on how I role played.

Re: Statting up NPCs on the fly.

IMO, this is too much "on the fly" to be convenient. If I were you, I'd come up with basic NPC templates to trot out when needed. Y'know, Soldier, Goon, Businessman, Scientist, etc. That way most everything can be statted out beforehand for a variety of NPC types, which eliminates you having to say, "Alright, he'll attack-- I wonder what his STR is? Would this guy have an EB?"

You don't have to use every template you wrote up, but if you need them, they're there. Also, it allows for quick and minor variations on a theme, so that each opponent the PCs face doesn't seem completely identical.

IMO, this is too much "on the fly" to be convenient. If I were you, I'd come up with basic NPC templates to trot out when needed. Y'know, Soldier, Goon, Businessman, Scientist, etc. That way most everything can be statted out beforehand for a variety of NPC types, which eliminates you having to say, "Alright, he'll attack-- I wonder what his STR is? Would this guy have an EB?"

You don't have to use every template you wrote up, but if you need them, they're there. Also, it allows for quick and minor variations on a theme, so that each opponent the PCs face doesn't seem completely identical.

I'll certainly write up some templates - but I will also want to come up with unique NPCs who won't fit the templates on the spot. I'm used to generating NPCs, including their stats, "this much" on the fly in other systems. I do it all the time, so it doesn't intimidate me. The issue is that HERO is a little more complex, so it requires more thought as to the procedures involved in order for the process to happen smoothly.

I think "Concept," DX, SPD, Best CV, DF, STN, Power SFX W/Active Point Estimate, Top Skill W/Roll should all be in place right off the bat. You can outline which powers within the SFX, or which skills according the concept, and personal traits as things progress. I think another good idea would be, instead of templates for whole characters, start jotting up package deals in your spare time.

Thus, for a telekinetic burglar, you could jot down

TK Burglar, DX 23, SP 5, CV 10, DF 20/20, SN 35, TK 70 AP, Thief Skills 14-

From there its just a matter of keeping track of what they did for future reference (and for building when time presents itself).

I do shorthand this way all the time.

What genre do you play in? If it's Champions, then Until Super Powers Database would help out a bunch in whipping up complex powers on the spot.

If you don't know the game that much, you should check out the pages in the front of FREd on power levels. That helped me a lot in figuring out the range of values for Characteristics and combat stats at the various power levels.

As long as you don't mind juggling a lot of numbers in your head, Hero can work for this, but if improvisation is your thing there's probably better game systems for you out there. Something flexible yet rules light like Tri-Stat would work.

I think "Concept," DX, SPD, Best CV, DF, STN, Power SFX W/Active Point Estimate, Top Skill W/Roll should all be in place right off the bat. You can outline which powers within the SFX, or which skills according the concept, and personal traits as things progress. I think another good idea would be, instead of templates for whole characters, start jotting up package deals in your spare time.

Thus, for a telekinetic burglar, you could jot down

TK Burglar, DX 23, SP 5, CV 10, DF 20/20, SN 35, TK 70 AP, Thief Skills 14-

From there its just a matter of keeping track of what they did for future reference (and for building when time presents itself).

I do shorthand this way all the time.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'd already have a character concept before I started. This is about generating actual stats on the fly. Concept usually pops into my head with little difficulty, and I don't feel the need to write it down until I flesh out the character later, because I know I'm not going to forget it. Character concepts tend to fix themselves in my mind fairly naturally.

Your suggestion for basic stats to jot down looks pretty good. It's not so extensive that It'll bring the game to dead stop while I do it, and it's certainly enough to get started with. Most likely I'll try a few methods and then settle on what suits me best. Lots of package deals also look like a very good idea. I can organise them in Word documents on my Palm PDA so I don't have to thumb through pages and pages of notes to find the ones I want.

My first HERO campaign is going to be fantasy (I originally intended to do "Robot HERO", but that has been shelved until a later date now) so I also have the Fantasy Hero Grimoire as a quick reference source of pre-built powers that I can tweak on the fly. I'll probalby get the USPD as well because quite a few Fantasy HERO gamers have told me it's another great source of pre-defined powers that can easily be tweaked to make spells.

Didnt somebody on here create a random character generator that could help maybe. You could just print out a few "spares" for emergency. I cant remember the website for this random character generator so maybe someone else can help you out there. In any case I like to have a few spares on hand in case somebody goes unexpected on me.

What genre do you play in? If it's Champions, then Until Super Powers Database would help out a bunch in whipping up complex powers on the spot.

If you don't know the game that much, you should check out the pages in the front of FREd on power levels. That helped me a lot in figuring out the range of values for Characteristics and combat stats at the various power levels.

As long as you don't mind juggling a lot of numbers in your head Hero can work for this, but if improvisation is your thing, there's probably better game systems for you out there. Maybe BESM or something flexible yet rules light.

My post in reply to D-Man above should answer your question. :D

Didnt somebody on here create a random character generator that could help maybe. You could just print out a few "spares" for emergency. I cant remember the website for this random character generator so maybe someone else can help you out there. In any case I like to have a few spares on hand in case somebody goes unexpected on me.

You're probably referring to nyakki's marvelous online random character generator. Very handy, and fun to play with in its own right. :)

I make inprov characters all the time. No telling who the heroes might run into or need to find (or look for anyways).

All I do is make up stats as we go along. No need to figure out something unless it actually comes up. I've already got the concept, and I just jot down notes on what I have him do.

Did the character exhibit a skill or knowledge? I jot in down and write in the level.

Did the character attack? I make up a reasonable OCV, jot it down, and use states for whatever weapon he's got. If he used a Power, I just figure out what the end all effect is and roll the dice, and jot down any spiffies (like Armor Piercing or AE or whatever).

Did someone attack him? I make up a reasonable DCV & jot it down. If he's hit, I figure what his defenses are and where they come from. There are states for armor in the Equipment section of FREd, plus he might have Powers.

If combat gets any more involved than trading one or two blows, he'll need a SPD. (Jot it down)

Is he being chased or chasing someone? He'll need movement....

...and so on.

After the game, I look at my notes and flesh out the character's stats. If anything occurs to me that he should have or know I'll make a note of during the game (such as a high DEX rather than having CSLs).

I've developed several lasting, memorable, recurring villains and supporting characters this way. And it's fun, untill the players start asking lots of questions or use Telepathy. :rolleyes:

I make inprov characters all the time. No telling who the heroes might run into or need to find (or look for anyways).

All I do is make up stats as we go along. No need to figure out something unless it actually comes up. I've already got the concept, and I just jot down notes on what I have him do.

Did the character exhibit a skill or knowledge? I jot in down and write in the level.

Did the character attack? I make up a reasonable OCV, jot it down, and use states for whatever weapon he's got. If he used a Power, I just figure out what the end all effect is and roll the dice, and jot down any spiffies (like Armor Piercing or AE or whatever).

Did someone attack him? I make up a reasonable DCV & jot it down. If he's hit, I figure what his defenses are and where they come from. There are states for armor in the Equipment section of FREd, plus he might have Powers.

If combat gets any more involved than trading one or two blows, he'll need a SPD. (Jot it down)

Is he being chased or chasing someone? He'll need movement....

...and so on.

After the game, I look at my notes and flesh out the character's stats. If anything occurs to me that he should have or know I'll make a note of during the game (such as a high DEX rather than having CSLs).

I've developed several lasting, memorable, recurring villains and supporting characters this way. And it's fun, untill the players start asking lots of questions or use Telepathy. :rolleyes:

That's essentially the same as my method in most other systems I've run. What bothered me slightly about doing it in HERO was the sheer volume of stats needed for combat in HERO - I wanted some kind of framework I could work with to ease the process while I'm still learning to run the system. I don't want to have to bring the game to a jarring halt just because I have to stat up an NPC! I'm really glad to hear that at least somebody else things it can work just as well in HERO despite the extra complexity. I'll probably use parts of my procedure and D-Man's suggestions at first while I get used to it. After some practice I'm sure I won't need it.

As for the part when the players ask questions - that's the really fun part. :D I'll admit it's a struggle sometimes but improvising under that kind of pressure is rewarding too - especially when it takes the game in a new direction as unexpected to me as to my players.

That's essentially the same as my method in most other systems I've run. What bothered me slightly about doing it in HERO was the sheer volume of stats needed for combat in HERO - I wanted some kind of framework I could work with to ease the process while I'm still learning to run the system. I don't want to have to bring the game to a jarring halt just because I have to stat up an NPC! I'm really glad to hear that at least somebody else things it can work just as well in HERO despite the extra complexity. I'll probably use parts of my procedure and D-Man's suggestions at first while I get used to it. After some practice I'm sure I won't need it.

As for the part when the players ask questions - that's the really fun part. :D I'll admit it's a struggle sometimes but improvising under that kind of pressure is rewarding too - especially when it takes the game in a new direction as unexpected to me as to my players.

The most important thing to remember is that you only need what you need. If you think the guy the team just encountered should have an 8 OCV, just take a note. Don't worry if it's because he's got a 23 DEX or a 15 DEX with 3 CLSs. The important thing at the time is the total OCV. Same goes with everything else. Figure out the numbers later when you have a chance to think about it.

This should help for an undefined NPC in combat

Basic NPC combat template

Dex (cv is based on this)

Con

Pd

Ed

Spd

Stun

Extras:

- rPD/ED

- Combat levels

- Type(s) of attack and damage.

Things like body, rec end and charges won't really matter unless the combat goes on for more than a turn. Strength should be included if that's one of his attacks. If a mentalist is involved on either side , you'll need an ego stat.

Thanks for all the advice, folks! Now for my next task - redesigning the character sheet to make it more fantasy-ish. In effect, a Fantasy Hero specific version of the HERO 5th Character sheet. If anybody's interested I'll post the result on the Fantasy Hero forum when I'm done.

Now for my next task - redesigning the character sheet to make it more fantasy-ish.

When I ran a pulp one-off for my (non-Hero) group I redesigned the sheet to look more D20. It seemed to work - I had no complaints about complexity or maths or anything else (though that might be due to the pre-gens).

If anybody's interested I'll post the result on the Fantasy Hero forum when I'm done.

That's be good. I would like to see a Hero Book that demonstrated various ways to present the system to players. As a toolkit a Hero game rarely has the same finish as dedicated systems and the notation (e.g. 3D6 RKA AP 0 END) enforces that perception.

Anything that improves the presentation of a campaign using the Hero toolkit has to be good.

Doc

One other thing to consider: Disads that affect combat. Is your NPC Vulnerable to any PC SFX or Powers? Susceptible to any conditions in the area? Afraid of snakes (and the PC whose background is somehow tied to King Cobra)?

J

One other thing to consider: Disads that affect combat. Is your NPC Vulnerable to any PC SFX or Powers? Susceptible to any conditions in the area? Afraid of snakes (and the PC whose background is somehow tied to King Cobra)?

J

Excellent point, J. Though things like this really should be planned, occasionally your spontaneous NPC might need some defining trait the Player Characters can take advantage of, or somehow use.

Hey, Mark, just catching up on old threads across the boards, so just got to this. FYI, I am the same in terms of improving NPCs, at least when it comes to the humans and minor supers (though it's not at all uncommon for me to sketch out a semi-major super and fill in a few blanks as I go). I don't use a system as you've suggested but I don't see any real issues in what you wrote, and others wrote. I would suggest, though, that as you get used to the PCs and to HERO, you won't need a formal system at all.

Anyway, here's what I do often: when an NPC comes up and I need to do some stats mid-game, if I don't have a preconception for the stat, I usually roll d100 or (as I try to get away from that in the spirit of HERO) 3d6 and for whatever characteristic I need to do right then I base it off that roll, higher = better, jotting it down as I go for any later reference that may be required. THere's no system in front of me, the degree that I'll award the char value is based purely on what the NPC should be in the range of (could it be a mutant? must it be a "regular" human? is it supposed to be an agent?). So for example, if I roll 3d6 and I get a 14 I'll be inclined to give a "regular human" an 18 STR assuming they are extremely good in that one area, though an agent I'd give a 23 to. If the moment were right.

However, if it is an impromptu agent or thug, I have templates for those I can grab, and don't normally randomized that type.

For supers, I try to stat up beforehand just due to all the variations on powers and such, that's just a bit much to do, though I could always use the UNTIL super-collection - I did sort of have to do that once when I realized just as a game was getting underway that I had totally forgotten to stat out my super-dinosaurs, grabbed the Bestiary and up-statted all those! Anyway, for supers that are done mid-game, I will often do a couple quick mental questions and then arbitrarily roll to resolve - the questions will be whatever comes to mind OR seems appropriate ("mental or magical?" "strong or smart?", "hyper-defense or eggshell?), then I might roll a couple quick stat guidelines or based on a couple random results an idea might come together that serves well enough to throw numbers down.

In any case, good luck!