Looking for ideas for my campaign (Danger: Long)

Hermit

Re: Looking for ideas for my campaign (Danger: Long)

Lucky Numbers

An Asian man (Japanese or Chinese, most likely) shows up on the Fab Four's doorstep, demanding to join. According to him, four is an unlucky number, signifying death, and his I Ching readings indicate that the nest week is a crisis period. Unless he's inducted, one of the FF will die. He won't take no for an answer, either, despite the fact that his powers are considerably weaker than those of the player characters.

GM's option whether Numbers is really able to predict the future or is just deluded.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Thanks, SS

Oooo... I like that one as well' date=' especially the animals idea. I sense potiential for a rampaging giant monkey, a gag lab rat that uses it's power to purloin munchies, or an evil telepathic cat. :) Could be fun.[/quote']

Evil Telepathic Cat: >>Rub my belly... feed me tuna... kill the dog!<<

Well, the pcs have overheard comments from the Mayor about a "Project Cerebus", and given a not too subtle hint from him later that there are some things they shouldn't pry into.

I have no idea what Project Cerebus is, but it's fun to watch their nosed twitch with interest, and their eyes narrow at the chance of official skullduggery :)

Re: Thanks, SS

Oooo... an evil telepathic cat.

Is there any other kind??

I tried something similar once,.... the group tracked down the Villains to their base and trashed them thouroughly, but not without taking a few bumps of their own. During the aftermath, a cat that was in the base (an abandoned trailer park) took to the team leader, who guuiltily took it in. Afterwards, the team kept wondering how villain groups were always one step ahead of them, almost like traps were being set by an unknown criminal mastermind. Ironically, the team takes forever finguring out who or what is behind it all, since the team leader is too busy scooping the 'master villains' poop. :shock:

Depends a lot on your campaign theme...some random ideas.

Playing up the fame bit.

~Have one of the characters ex-girlfriends/boyfriend or cousin write a tell-all book

~Someone claims to have been affected by the origin explosion also, only with negative results...lawsuit ensues.

The Inevitable alien plotline (is a FF homage)

~Aliens from dimension F are affected by the explosion, and decide to invade the dimension that attacked them (provides a reason to have that babe who rules a billion dimensions to show up...)

Cataclysm Scheming Inc.

~Develops a way to boost other people's intelligence, like herself. Creates a gang of supersmart crooks, with genius intelligence.

~Alters records, showing Brainwave did not have authorization to handle radioactive materials...resulting in her arrest.

~If you have her as a European, she can bribe/blackmail the EU into doing all kinds of fun things to the PCs.

Future Character Ideas

~Scientist with mental powers? This is easy. Another scientist accuses her of stealing or intervering with his research...with her mind!

~Dervish: A personal enemy in an AI computer program...can he run faster than the program can transfer itself to Istanbul?

~Impact: The obvious one here is the crook I put away as a cop comes after me for revenge. More fun might be found in dealing with police corruption, or getting "drafted" by the government.

~Firepower: The best use for the NPC heros are to have them make mistakes, before your players do. Some things NPC heroes have done in my campaign include: Own comic book, own action figure, Pay-per-view fight with villain of PC hero, dating Dracula, and looking in PC's rooms for evidence of "drugs".

Red Ghost idea: Tweak his orgin, say he was conducting similar experiments in the 1950's, only they propeled him forward in time (like Captain Atom). This gives you a 1950's era commie, who is wandering around looking at all the McDonalds. He'll start with a ton of hunteds, can build a nuclear bomb, and breaks into Brainwave's lab for parts. Doesn't know anything about microchips...

Best powered animal I had in the campaign escaped from a VIPER lab. It was a superstrong, teleporting rat with heat vision (normal size). They also bread at the same rate as normal rats...whole cities were placed under martial law. Could do the same thing with rabbits or squirrels, I suppose.

For the Namor plot: have Atlantis be a colony of aquatic aliens who have been secretly living under Lake Superior for the past few centuries, hidden

from mankind. (like Gorilla City).

For a Neo-Galactus plot, what if Galactus was already defeated, centuries ago? Have him be one of the moons in the solar system, a villain (or the mayor) visits, and he wakes up. He starts eating the solar system, some aliens show up, ally with the PC's, and beat him up. Alien hero (who has powers just like the Superskrull) then gives long speech about the folly of mankind. :)

Best I can come up with right now.

• 2 months later...

Update for those interested

Currently, I am running the Fabulous Four through Champions Battlegrounds. They've just started 'Fatal Attractions' as they visit Millennium City (I placed the other adventures in their home town of Chicago, but Firepower's Secret ID has part ownership of certain production company and Impact is a big fan of 'To Save The World' ;) so off they went).

Truthfully, the best lines/moment so far may have been in "Let's go to the Maul" when Dervish, not knowing Black Diamond's ultra heavy nature, attempted to zip up and do a passing throw. He ended up seizing her by the waist, was jerked to a stop as he couldn't budge her.

Dervish pats her mid section a bit, looks up and goes "You know, you hide that remarkably well..."

Black Diamond arches a brow and responds, "You realize, I'm going to hit you now?"

Dervish sighs, "Yeah, I know."

:)

• 9 months later...

Much has happened. Poor Interface actually got captured ... but don't worry, he'll get free.

Now, I'm finally starting up Reality Storm, and we went with the Fabulous Four for that adventure. The group is probably way over their head points wise, but I have faith they can pull it off. Besides, they aren't total novices anymore. :)

Dervish and Firepower tagged teamed some tornados, and the group just learned Dr. Destroyer and some weird horned guy they've never heard of before is behind the weather going nuts, so they are realizing with certain other super teams occupied (or worse) it's up to them to track him down, and stop him. Impact told her brothers her secret ID in case she didn't come back. Firepower has a ring and plans to propose to Brainwave, but she doesn't know yet, and indeed, they've all been so busy he keeps planning to put it off "when they have time" which is playing for a bit of humor.

I am thinking of throwing a few more FF type touches into the story line, perhaps having Cataclysm drawing energy from the Reality Storm for her own purposes and trying to use them later.

Re: Update

I don't have any FF ideas (as I never bought them), but I do like this thread. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I started up the idea of Firepower being mislabeled as the leader. That was fun.

FIREPOWER: "We've got trouble."*Showing the paper*

BRAINWAVE: "What trouble?"

FIREPOWER: "What trouble? They think I'm the leader of this team..."

IMPACT: "So? Let them think what they want, we'll do it democratically anyways."

FIREPOWER: "Yeah, but what if the rest of you screw up? I'll get blamed for it."

If you haven't, you should put this in the "Quote of the Week from my Gaming Group" thread.

Re: Update

Glad folks are enjoying. :)

If you haven't, you should put this in the "Quote of the Week from my Gaming Group" thread.

Heh.

Thanks.

In other news, the quest to "cure" Drogen Lar continues, and Brainwave and Dr. Silverback have been working hard at it.

Who's to say that Cataclysm and the PC's were the only ones affected by the original accident?

For that matter Hermit...Cataclysm may even attempt to create "super-powered lackeys" because the burning desire for revenge. She develops a touch of "god-complex", creating others in her "own image"...to do her will.

For that matter Hermit...Cataclysm may even attempt to create "super-powered lackeys" because the burning desire for revenge. She develops a touch of "god-complex"' date=' creating others in her "own image"...to do her will.[/quote']

Update. We only gamed for a bout two hours, but it was productive:

WARNING: If you are a player in Reality Storm, this may ruin a lot for you, so I suggest you forgo it.

Still struggling with the after effects of the situations, Dervish's computer and systems operations skills combined with Brainwave's science to figure out, as best they could, the 'source' of the transmissions from the villains. Determining it was in the time stream, our heroes try to figure out how the HECK they're going to construct such a device... Brainwave tries to consult with other heroes, but Dr. Silverback reports his lab has been ruined.

With the Champions apparently deceased, Force 1 MIA, and other groups busy stopping VIPER's operation Plunder... PRIMUS turns to the Fab 4 ("You were about fifth on our list, to be honest." "Thanks, that makes us feel SO much better...") and gives them yet more data and access to NASA resources, which the villains have arrogantly ignored for now.

Using tap ins to these satalites, Brainwave discovers that someone right outside Chicago is drawing from the energy of the Reality Storm itself! Feeling they may have a lead on some super science that can help, they track it down. Dervish informs the others he will 'check it out' and leaves before they can remind him to be cautious (Well, Brainwave does get a mind link up, so SHE tells him, but he shrugs, overconfident fellow that he is).

Finding a deserted building that was once a research lab for alternative energies, Dervish checks out what he thinks to be a camera. It instead is a sonic gun that catches him off guard.

He awakens just in time to prevent himself from being locked completely into dual shackles.

Meanwhile, our heroes are flying there... and are not happy with having lost even mental contact with Dervish. They come in, and begin to fight killer robots etc.

To make a long story less so, Dervish gets free, even as his friends come to 'rescue' him. It looks like a battle is in the making, but first, of course, Cataclysm scornfully tells the heroes that she has more important matters to attend to. Brainwave realizes Cataclysm has a piece of the puzzle, and plays Cataclysm's egocentricies by challenging HER a tad... just a tad. Catacylsm informs them of the possible dangers of the Reality Storm "if that idiot Destroyer can't control it... and of course, if he can, that's rather inconvient for me as well." Then, Brainwave hints that the Fab 4 and she can help each other.

Impact arches a brow, and mutters to Brainwave, "You are -not- about to agree to work with this #$##$?"

Yet, increasingly, it seems if the team wants to get in the time stream NOW, rather than later, they'll have to deal with the devil they know. Especially troubling is that they know Cataclysm had to be draining the Reality Storm's power for SOMETHING... but have to let her plot go and foil it later. They do try to leave a message to some other heroes and PRIMUS, hoping they will be able to stop the villainess if they can't return, but it remains to be seen.

Of course, when Cataclysm hooks them up, and punchs them through the barrier into the timestream, she also gains access to their energy templates. Which will be very useful in her plans to empower a group of her own to deal with the meddlesome hereos SHOULD they live.

Meanwhile, our heroes end up on the paths of the Time stream. Brief encounters occur where they are almost shoved off infnity, but soon they come to the nexus of the Universe. Now all they have to do is sneak in, figure out what fully is going on and how to stop it, and defeat one of the most powerful villains in the CU, his henchmen, and whoever this horned guy is as well.

Same Fab Time, Same Fab channel. :)

(BTW, the look on the players faces when they realized it was Cataclysm in that lab was priceless. One player accused me "Now I KNOW she is not in that book" , Naturally, I just smiled :eg: and told her that "Personalizing it for you guys shows how much I care." )

Re: Insomnia update

... speedster rat hooked up to a generator to save on electricity at the base.

Sudden thoughts of PETA knocking down the door because they feel that the rat is being mistreated. If the PCs don't do something about them, PETA might sue them or worse yet might begin a smear campaign against them. They do want to keep their good name after all. Just a thought.

---Blue Rose

Sudden thoughts of PETA knocking down the door because they feel that the rat is being mistreated. If the PCs don't do something about them' date=' PETA might sue them or worse yet might begin a smear campaign against them. They do want to keep their good name after all. Just a thought.[/quote']

Or a plot twist. Those from PETA actually represent the group Please Eat The Animals. (I saw that on someone's sig, but I don't recall whose.)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the "Reality Storm: When Worlds Collide" Story line this eve... everyone had a blast even if it wasn't all as 'scripted' :)

WARNING: If you are a player in Reality Storm, this may ruin a lot for you, so I suggest you forgo it.

Needing to slip into the grand palace that is the center of the Eterniverse, our heroes managed to fly over the guards at the main gate unnoticed, and risked being "shredded into a thousand different dimensions" by squeezing through the panels when they were open but not yet fully charged.

Still, things went awry when Brainwave threw Dervish in, but missed ...forcing him to corkscrew and spin in midair to readjust his trajectory. He still bumped a panel, and for a moment had visions of many strange alternate worlds...

One where Bill Gates, some punk intern at Dervish's computer company ended up begging for an audiance...

One, where his girlfriend, Luna (aka a super heroine named Crecscent) assured him that SURE she'd talk to her sister and see if she was up for a three way.

One that had him with green skin...

The second one was what made him sure it couldn't be real... :D

He also took a heap of STUN, but no true harm.

The others entered, with lighter encounters of mightbes and elsewheres. Perhaps most chilling was the vision Brainwave experienced of her hands wrapped around Cataclysm strangling the villainess, even as she simulataneously used her mind to fry the #$$# for the slaying of Firepower, and their children.

But in the end, that was merely scenery.

Once inside, they encountered patrols ...one group of men in service to Kreutzritter was heard talking about the 'prisoners below'.

Realizing this must be Captain Chronos and that "other guy" (Drifter), the heroes made their way down below to rescue them. Only to run into Alice- Queen of Hearts, and Gigaton, the Right hand of Dr. Destroyer, with about 3 agents of each mastermind as well guarding the brig.

Dervish's super speed move through hit like a hammer on steroids, but Gigaton was not even stunned and to make matters worse, Firepower, ignorant of Gigaton's abilities, fed the villain energy that he absorbed into stun and strength. From there, it got hairy.

Brainwave was not yet in line of sight with many, and she was the only who could see the cloaked 'Alice'. Impact became Alice's target of choice, who used armor piercing rounds, and rude commentary in a snide british accent in conjunction. The latter just pissed Impact off, the former, however, did some serious damage to Impact's looks and nearly put her out. Impact couldn't seem to lay a glove on the invisible mercenery, and got shot... again in the head.

Seizing Gigaton in a surprise manuever, the brick threw him down hard into the hex before her, absolutely CREAMING Alice, causing the villainess to be appear at last.

"Shoot me in the face again, B####!" Snarled the Italian American super hero, in what was not her most eloquent moment, but certainly a heart felt one.

Alice, being well and truly out, gave no coherrent reply.

Dervish split his attention between Gigaton and the agents. Soon the agents were down (With help from Brainwave), but Gigaton remained. Brainwave's mental blasts didn't seem to slow the Villain much, but every little bit helped.

Dervish became enough of an annoyance that Gigaton entangled him. Switching tactics, Brainwave mental illusioned him that she was running away to 'get help'. He 'destroyed her' , wasting his attack on empty air, but thinking he had killed her made a comment about how these 'celebrity heroes failed to impress'

Firepower, feeling useless against the energy sucking villain, used his heat aborbing abilities (and power skill roll) to take back what gigaton had taken from him, though it did damage in to the NPC hero in the process. Finally, both fell into a heap.

(to be continued)

Yet another warning, spoilers galore below:

seriously, and it's long as well...

Freed, Captain Chronos and the Drifter thanked our heroes (Though Captain Chronos did fuss about he was sure the heroes were late) and apprised them of the Reality Storm, and the causes for the most part. When they heard of the Champions' 'Deaths' , they also commented on an odd rush of energy they'd detected that hinted the Champions might be anything but.

The Fab 4 headed outside, and using the good Captain's ship, managed to enter into Entropus himself to aid the Champions and the Guard both. Each Fab 4 member could only go into one 'pocket world' and could only retrieve the heroes when enough 'reality space' had been cleared by defeating the foes they fought.

So it was that Nighthawk and Caliburn ended up with Dervish appearing to assist them against the radioactive mutant zombies.

Red Phoenix and Defender found Impact in their midst, ready to join them in battle against the Cyborg Nazis.

Brainwave was suddenly side by side with Ironclad and the Sentinel, facing the onslaught of wave after wave of carnivorous neanderthals.

Firepower aided Sapphire and Slipstream in their conflict with the Pteridactyal men.

Witchcraft and Mother Raven seemed to be out of luck...

However, when enough foes finally fell, the super heroes were retrieved, and though Dervish had to go in later to save the mystics, and Firepower was nearly killed and had to be rescued by Brainwave... Entropus' wardens/guardians were finally removed and that SHOULD have been the end of it.

Hasty introductions were made in Captain Chronos' now over crowded timeship.

Of course, the Trickster reappeared, teasing and cajoling the heroes with smirking half hints and pseudo lies. Now, three teams, the Guard, The Champions, and the Fabulous Four went in loaded for bear, with the F4 slipping in first to scout it out because they would be underestimated.

Brainwave and Dervish both noticed technological gear and Rakasha's behavior that hinted at the double cross each meglomanical mastermind planned against the other, and mindlinked, our heroes began to plot how to take advantage of it.

Firepower presented himself claiming to be surrendering to Dr. Destroyer on behalf of all his earth. Dr Destroyer did not trust this one bit, and made a sublte motion to the disguised Rakasha who began to use his telepathy on the mentally defenseless Firepower.

Realizing her Mental Illusions MIGHt be able to fool even mental senses, Brainwave thought fast and projected false readings into Rakasha's head. The master deciever was himself decieved, allowing Firepower to fake out Doctor Destroyer into the right spot, and lure Kreutzritter as well with a comment refering to the horned villain as Destroyer's 'lackey'.

Both in place, the camera came on, and so did the ambush weapons...

Alas, also so did the forcewalls that one of the villains had set up to keep the other from fleeing. The two archvillains would only be delayed a short time, and in the mean time the Iron Duke was now ready to rumble, and the only ones able to face all three of them until those walls came down were the Fabulous Four, on their own.

From his kneeling position, Firepower stoop up and hit the temporarily paralyzed Dr. Destroyer with his most powerful attack. Dervish swatted the lesser agents like fleas. Impact took Rakasha out so quickly it wasn't funny, and Brainwave surely would have died if Iron Duke had connected. Her own assault on the mind of the being surprised her by working somewhat, but not as well as she liked.

The heroes continued to pummel and thrash in their free phases for all they were worth, but Dr. Destroyer and Kreutzritter recovered all too soon.

Seeing Dr Destroyer charge up to vaporize Firepower, Impact aborted her own action to actually leap into the blast and protect him... the brick of the F4 was shredded down to 5 body, but somehow held on heroically to conciousness. Dervish tried another move through on Dr. Destroyer, but missed, slamming instead into one of the forcewalls, and breaking it.

This proved to be fortunate, because that let the Guard in! Now Iron Duke and his master had new targets to worry about.

But that still left Dr. Destroyer to our heroes. Even when the champions were let it, the battle seemed as if it would never end.

Brainwave continued to fuss with the controls, her brillaint mind at a loss to understand how this all worked. She did manage to siphon off a small part of the Reality Storm, and reverse its flow so it would come down and consume them instead... screaming through her mind link that they needed to get out of there.... soon the other heroes were ready to run as well.

Destroyer raced to the controls only to find out his own entangler weapons remains now lacing the levers thanks to Dervish's quick thinking. Kreutzritter, unaware of the danger of the backflow, saw only that the heroes were fleeing (as well they should!) and attacked Dr. Destroyer for his treachery (the fact that he himself was also treacherous was neither here nor there).

The three super hero teams escaped out of the palace, even as it seemed to wink out of existance for a moment, and it looked like Brainwave's plans to save their world might instead have destroyed the eterniverse itself!

Like a man come to clean house, Entropus arrived, entering in as the heroes had hoped. Both arch villains were ejected from the palace ...landing into the void. The palace righted itself, and all was still.

Our heroes went to investigate (Actually, Firepower NNDed Brainwave into unconciousness and then went to risk just himself). Entropus seemed to barely care or notice. As is his duty, the cosmic being restored the two worlds and let the storm pass on. A portal was opened, and all the heroes went through to their respective homes despite the howls of protest from the Trickster.

Exhausted, bloody, and having just battled one of the most powerful villains of their earth, the Fabulous Four materialized on top of their base. They were home, but not alone. Around them, they saw hundreds of fellow Chicagoans holding candle light vigils, prayers, and so forth for the return of their heroes. When they saw them appear, clapping began, then applause, then thunderous applause...

Only then did the battered PCs realize that their entire battle from the activation of the ambush weapons on had also set the multiversial Camera (which the villains had used to issue their ultimatium in the first place) on, and every man, woman and child in the world with access to a TV had seen the Fabulous Four and allies fight for the fate of two worlds, and it didn't take much to figure out the F4 saved them all!

They were not just superheroes, for one moment, they were THE Superheroes, -the- team that had saved billions.

And of course, while things would never be the same, some loose threads did wrap up, and new ones were born. Firepower tried to finally propose to Brainwave, only to find the gold of the ring he was carrying had melted. Tired of this, Impact got in to the base, took some copper wire, and handed it back to him telling him to do it, now!

Thus he proposed to Brainwave, who kissed him in response, and said, in a nutshell, yes.

Impact's captain spoke of how it would be unjust to fire her from the force after she'd saved two worlds, but it would be even more unjust to keep her on the bombsquad when she could do so much more as a super hero. She wasn't fired, she was granted an honorable discharge and full retirement benefits...

And Dervish nearly fainted when he found out that Crescent did indeed have a sister, "Identical twin, why do you ask?"

:)

They go to DC to recieve the congressional medals of honor next month.

~Finis for now~

I was going to do a Galactus meets Haviland Tuff and Rendevous with Rama riff for my now-defunct online game; it's a perfect fit for a Fantastic Four tribute. :)

Start with Galactus and the Silver Surfer, with a few tweaks (galactic Champions had a villain with a background partially borrowed from Galactus; the guy with the minds of his entire species. Nova?).

Now throw in your favorite Sci-Fi story with a city or world sized ship. Heinlein, Asimov, Pratchett, Martin; there's plenty to steal from.

Now mix in one more sci-fi book to keep your players from guessing, stir, simplify, figure out why the Four have to deal with it, and let it play out.

The Galactus and Inhumans stories were always my faves with the FF.

Speaking of which, you can use the Empereans as the Eternals or the Inhumans (or come up with your own Inhumans tribute, or use the Lemurians).

And then you can always have an American atomic test destroy a Lemurian outpost, triggering a roaring rampage of revenge by a noble but rage filled Lemurian Princess, one who was a heroine in WWII. And of course, she finds one of the male heroes very attractive. :)

Bigger' date=' Better, Faster. Cataclysm tries to recreate the experiment to create evil versions of the heroes or to reverse the effects. Unfortunately things don't seem to go to plan.[/quote']

There might even be a possibility for Cataclysm to try to reverse the accident altogether; the entire accident, including the players changes.

Are the characters willing to sacrifice their powers for seeing the end of Cataclysm’s reign of evil?

Speaking of which, you can use the Empereans as the Eternals or the Inhumans (or come up with your own Inhumans tribute, or use the Lemurians).

Odd that you should mention that, I plan to use the Hidden Lands and one of the Empyrean Plot Seeds almost verbatum. It will be interesting to see how the Empyreans react to these "upstarts" who have a name so similar to the super hero team that once challenged the very gates of Arcadia itself, but earned their respect.

Thanks for the suggestion of the animals ala Red Ghost.

Cataclysm's lab animals were sent on a mission, which (after some RP and detective work) were thwarted by the PCs.

The Fab Four now have a super stretching Python as a pet for Brainwave (And Firepower doesn't want it in his bed, whether it likes his body heat or not) and a speedster rat hooked up to a generator to save on electricity at the base. :D

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hermit again.

man I wanted to give you rep for this.....a superspeed rat as power generator, that's classic

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hermit again.

man I wanted to give you rep for this.....a superspeed rat as power generator, that's classic

But... but... I used a very similar idea in the plot seed thread over a year ago. :cry:

Do I get a little rep for mine? Just a little? TheRavenIs? Hermit? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? :o