City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

The good news is that the game is running without difficulties on my nigh-antiquated computer.

The bad news is that I keep getting ambuished by gangbangers who are faster than I am and gang up on me in groups. These are quite far away from my current mission site, but they're everywhere with no way to avoid them and are usually one to three levels higher than I am (I currently am stuck at Level 2), with the result that I'm spending a lot of time in the hospital.

At least I was able to find the trainer to GET to Level 2. Last time, on a different server, I couldn't.

As a result, I don't feel especially super at the moment.

Give the enemies a wider berth -- even if you have to run down the middle of the street to avoid the groups on both sidewalks. It's what I did early on. You can also "slot" an Enhancement into a movement power (like Sprint or Run) that improves your movement speed with that power.

Don't worry about going to the hospital early on. The XP debt thing doesn't start until you hit level 10.

Just keep plugging at it! You may want to try forming/joining a team by sending out a broadcast.

Just run around in Galaxy or Atlas in the immediate vicinity of the trainers and arrest some level 1,2, and 3 Hellions and Skulls, train up, and expand your range outward. When you get bored with this do a door mission, and / or join a SEWER team. You can easily level a character up to lvl 6 in an hour or two like this if you don't dawdle. Also, when you are close to leveling plan your assault on the last mob smartly to make sure there is another higher lvl mob within running range so when you lvl and get the temporary inspirs and health / end resets you can sprint into the next mob and whack them while you are buffed.

Also, always skip the tutorial after the first time. Its a total waste of play time if you know how to play.

If you are on Champion, I'd be glad to set up a time when I can log on with a character in that range and walk you thru the lowby levels.

Also, always skip the tutorial after the first time. Its a total waste of play time if you know how to play.

I disagree. It's an easy way to get safely to level 2 and once you start badge hunting, it's almost the only way to get one badge. (you have to defeat 100 infected. You don't see them again until you can enter Recluse's Victory in the 40s.)

I disagree. It's an easy way to get safely to level 2 and once you start badge hunting' date=' it's almost the only way to get one badge. (you have to defeat 100 infected. You don't see them again until you can enter Recluse's Victory in the 40s.)[/quote']

"safely to level 2"? How is this even a concern? It's fast work to go from level 1 to 2 entirely safely in Galaxy / Atlas. Really, the levels don't even start to really be noticeable until you get into the 6 to 10 range, depending on AT. For most AT's level 10 is attainable in good day's playing if you've got nothing else going on.

And the Isolator badge, if you care about such things, is gettable via Ouro in the mid 20's. One of the Mender missions sends you back to the tutorial map in flashback mode; you only have your level 1 power but you also have any temp powers you've picked up and you can also team if need be to make it go by ultra fast.

"safely to level 2"? How is this even a concern? It's fast work to go from level 1 to 2 entirely safely in Galaxy / Atlas. Really' date=' the levels don't even start to really be noticeable until you get into the 6 to 10 range, depending on AT. For most AT's level 10 is attainable in good day's playing if you've got nothing else going on.[/quote']

AT? What's an AT? besides, isn't the Tutorial where you get important things like the resurrection beacon so that you go straight to the med center if you die?

AT? What's an AT? besides' date=' isn't the Tutorial where you get important things like the resurrection beacon so that you go straight to the med center if you die?[/quote']

Archetype. Blaster, Scrapper, etc.

And no. You don't need to get anything from the tutorial whatsoever. The beacon nonsense is all built in; you get it automatically.

The bad news is that I keep getting ambuished by gangbangers who are faster than I am and gang up on me in groups. These are quite far away from my current mission site, but they're everywhere with no way to avoid them and are usually one to three levels higher than I am (I currently am stuck at Level 2), with the result that I'm spending a lot of time in the hospital.

This is actually one of my biggest complaints of the game. I get a level 6 Mission but I have to run though a bunch of Level 15 baddies to get to the level 6 Mission.

This is actually one of my biggest complaints of the game. I get a level 6 Mission but I have to run though a bunch of Level 15 baddies to get to the level 6 Mission.

Get a Raptor Pack by doing the Bank Mission and you'll be able to fly over them. ;)

What zone would that be in? Door missions are generally zone-appropriate; you shouldn't be getting lvl 6 missions in a lvl 15ish zone. The Hollows used to have that problem and was notorious for it, but they fixed it several issues ago by redoing all the spawn points and mission doors in the zone.

Guest Celt

In the Villain Tutorial there is also a badge named (IIRC) "Jailbird" you get by exploring either a certain number of jailcells or a particular one. I would expect there to be something comparable in the Hero Tutorial.

The devs learned their lesson from the Isolator badge in CoH by having the tutorial badge in CoV be a exploration badge instead. You get it by visiting the last cell on the top level in the wing in which you first appear.

One problem I'm having on one of my servers (the one I've played on most) during the demo) is that the mission site for my current arc is VERY far away from City Hall and the Medical Center. I have yet to even get close to it. Right now I have to turn around and go back to Atlas park to get trained up to Level 4, then go right back out and try to get to the mission site. I don't even know what it looks like. I sure wish I had a movement power to make things easier, but I have no idea how movement powers work.

One problem I'm having on one of my servers (the one I've played on most) during the demo) is that the mission site for my current arc is VERY far away from City Hall and the Medical Center. I have yet to even get close to it. Right now I have to turn around and go back to Atlas park to get trained up to Level 4' date=' then go right back out and try to get to the mission site. I don't even know what it looks like. I sure wish I had a movement power to make things easier, but I have no idea how movement powers work.[/quote']

You don't start getting movement powers until level six. Then you can take hover, which is combat flight. Then you can pretty much ignore the ground.

What server are you on?

I have characters on Justice, Protector, and Liberty right now.

You don't start getting movement powers until level six. Then you can take hover, which is combat flight. Then you can pretty much ignore the ground.

What server are you on?

I think I'm currently on Protector, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to get to mission in an abandoned warehouse against a gang called the Skulls, if that means anything.

EDIT: Yep, Protector with my current character -- Lord Kronstien, Level 4 mutant swordsman (Scrapper). The warehouse is so distant that I've never even gotten close to it. If I could team up with somebody, that would probably help, but who'd take on a noob?

I'm really just baffled why you're having so many issues getting around. Just toggle on run, keep about 30 feet away from mobs, and move expeditiously to your mission door. If you don't get too close the mobs wont engage you if you are running, and even if they do engage just keep running and they'll fall behind.

Also, don't bother training on odd levels until you get past level 12 and can slot DO's. Also, the bonuses from training enhancements are so weak they are just a waste of time and influence unless you happen to get free drops that are useful. sell off and save your influence instead, press thru to 12 (takes a day or two at most), and get DO's.

The early mobs are pretty much interchangeable; Some Skulls do dark damage, some Hellions do Fire, some Clockwork do electric, and so forth but otherwise the power scale is so low the differences between them are pretty much academic. Skull Daddy's are maybe more dangerous than the other mob's bosses due to having Shadow Maul but other than that...meh. I tend to go after Buckshots as they are pretty easy to take down and yield decent xp, and I avoid Clockwork due to the endurance sapping capabilities of Electric but that's me.

Oh, and if you just can't manage to get around, the Architect Entertainment building is right across the street from City Hall in Atlas. Just go in there and run some AE missions to level up to the point you're comfortable and ready to face the big bad world again. No commuting necessary.

What server are you on?

Hover, while nice in being able to ignore the ground, is S.L.O.W. I'd say get to level 5 by beating up random thugs, then join a team doing the bank mission. You should come out with a Raptor Pack good for two hours of in-game use.

Michael, I'm only on Guardian in case you have any toons there.

What zone would that be in? Door missions are generally zone-appropriate; you shouldn't be getting lvl 6 missions in a lvl 15ish zone. The Hollows used to have that problem and was notorious for it' date=' but they fixed it several issues ago by redoing all the spawn points and mission doors in the zone.[/quote']

I think it's called Perez Park? That first "Dungeon" area where you have to be level 6 or so to get in.

If they fixed it GREAT, I haven't played in quite some time (can only take that game in small doses before the monotony gets to me).

Michael Hopcroft,

I think part of your problem is you aren't leaving your Sprint power active. As long as it is, the baddies shouldn't catch you. Something else you may want to try is rolling a toon with the Kinetics power set. It's like getting a Movement Power at level 4. I have a Kinetics/Sonic Defender called Speed Freq, and I love him.

New announcement. I'm intrigued. I was hoping for this when CoV started since I've always liked the redemption theme.

Paragon Studios™ is proud to officially announce the next City of Heroes® expansion, City of Heroes Going Rogue™! This will be the first major expansion for the City of Heroes franchise since the launch of City of Villains® in 2005.

Praetoria, a utopian mirror to our own world, hides a dark secret. Exploring this mysterious alternate earth, the heroes and villains of this world feel an uneasiness of doubt creep over them. Loyalties are questioned. Choices are made. Lines are drawn. As they search for the truth behind Emperor Cole and his Praetorian guard, brutal foes and fierce allies emerge, turning this once blissful paradise into a battle ground.

City of Heroes Going Rogue officially opens the "mirror universe" of Praetoria and an all-new alignment system that explores the shades of gray that lie between Heroes and Villains. For the first time, Hero characters can become Villains and vice versa, enabling Heroes to cross over to the Rogue Isles™ and Villains to experience Paragon City™.

For more information, read the official press release and check out our new Going Rogue website to view the announcement trailer and register for the latest news and updates for City of Heroes Going Rogue.

Hey Michael' date=' I've got some chars on Protector. I'll look for you and if you see either Ice Pirate or Burnin' for You, that's me. Global @Lemming[/quote']

No dice, I'm afraid. I made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up lost in Skyline City, where even the weakest thugs are about ten levels higher than me. The revivials take me deeper into the zone, and I am deathly afraid of trying to get out, especially since I'm completely lost. If you see me in Protector, it will be with a new character.

New announcement. I'm intrigued. I was hoping for this when CoV started since I've always liked the redemption theme.

"City of Heroes Going Rogue officially opens the "mirror universe" of Praetoria and an all-new alignment system that explores the shades of gray that lie between Heroes and Villains. For the first time, Hero characters can become Villains and vice versa, enabling Heroes to cross over to the Rogue Isles™ and Villains to experience Paragon City™."

HEEL TURNS!!! :thumbup:

No dice' date=' I'm afraid. I made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up lost in Skyline City, where even the weakest thugs are about ten levels higher than me. The revivials take me deeper into the zone, and I am deathly afraid of trying to get out, especially since I'm completely lost. If you see me in Protector, it will be with a new character.[/quote']

Ok. Look for me, we can get that character out of Skyway easy enough. Or we'll just work on your new one.

Ok. Look for me' date=' we can get that character out of Skyway easy enough. Or we'll just work on your new one.[/quote']

Interesting. I'd like to get out of Skyway very much. Set a time with me privately and meet me in front of the medical center I was revived at. Look for Lord Kronstien (Level 4 Mutant Scrapper -- Mutant seemed the closest origin to "extradimensional").

Also, I now have a Level 2 Magic Scrapper called Kaishaku on Champion. He was standing right in front of Atlas Park when I signed off.

Finally, I'm still on the demo. If I buy the DVD-ROM, what should I do with it? Do I install it or simply input a code to get my upgrade and my 30 days?