City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

CoH/CoV is the only MMO I ever liked, but I reached the boredom point after about 15-18 months. The new features in the last set were pretty..disappointing. Day job was quite a let down, as were the new power sets. At heart, I think the problem is the missions get boring, and often don't let you feel like a super-hero/villain. I also have grown bored with the set roles of tank/scrapper/blaster/defender/controller.

I have a strong dislike of PVP based games which makes me an odd man out for most MMO's, and I also prefer games where just logging on for a few hours is ok, not having to waste my time every evening. I'm waiting for Champions Online, patiently. Right now, I'm hoping for a decent single player strategy game to grab my attention.

CoH/CoV is the only MMO I ever liked, but I reached the boredom point after about 15-18 months. The new features in the last set were pretty..disappointing. Day job was quite a let down, as were the new power sets. At heart, I think the problem is the missions get boring, and often don't let you feel like a super-hero/villain. I also have grown bored with the set roles of tank/scrapper/blaster/defender/controller.

I have a strong dislike of PVP based games which makes me an odd man out for most MMO's, and I also prefer games where just logging on for a few hours is ok, not having to waste my time every evening. I'm waiting for Champions Online, patiently. Right now, I'm hoping for a decent single player strategy game to grab my attention.

I am in a similar situation. I love Eve Online's sandbox, but am iffy on its PVP. I normally won't PVP in games, but I bought Warhammer to force myself to try it without consequences. Very fun to pop in for a few hours and smash people (and get smashed by people) in the scenarios, but the PVE content in WAR is lacking. MMOs tend to force me to group, and I hate being forced to do that.

I took advantage of the sale on Steam to buy Bioshock for $5, Ghost Master for $2.50, and Darkstar One for $5. Also grabbed Sacred 1 and Aquaria and Fallout 3 before the sale. Fallout 3 is pretty good for gore and you can use tactics (not really required though). Sacred is fun, think of it as an improvement on Diablo 2 with better graphics and exploration. Aquaria reminds me of an underwater Super Metroid. Darkstar One reminds me of my old Wing Commander days. Just grabbed Bioshock and have yet to play it.

Suspect I have ADD. I get bored easily and prefer to solo. I play MMOs for the lore but really need a sandbox aspect. If you use Steam, check out their current holiday sale, and you might find something you will like.

I should go look for my Dungeon Master CDs and see if I can make them work under Vista...

Oh, Steam has the best single player strategy game on it for you. For under $12 you can grab the X-Com strategy bundle! X-Com 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games back in the 1990s, building my bases defensively, trying to capture aliens alive, save civilians, improve my team members and keep them alive, and research new techs before the aliens overwhelmed me. That may be just what you need, and the files have been tweaked to run under XP and Vista. :D

What I'm looking forward to is Issue 14-The Architech.

The promise of creating our own missions opens the opportunity for some Roleplay with my friend's Supergroup. I could make missions specifically designed for them will bring renewed life to many players.

• 2 months later...

What I'm looking forward to is Issue 14-The Architech.

The promise of creating our own missions opens the opportunity for some Roleplay with my friend's Supergroup. I could make missions specifically designed for them will bring renewed life to many players.

It's now on the test server. I've barely started playing with it, but it looks fun.

• 2 weeks later...

User-created content is the final send-off for the game. They're likely to reroute COH resources to Aion and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The game's been out a long time (almost 5 years since its release) and it's showing its age. Handing it over to those who still have an investment in the game is pretty smart.

I've pretty much hit the wall with COH/COV. I only have two 50s and a few 40s, but there are lots of alts scattered around. It's a good game and I had my fun with it, but if it came out today I wouldn't buy in. I'm also waiting for DCUO and CO, which is where things will be going. May as well get in early, right? Until then, I did just pick up AOC (still not installed...) and I can always play L4D and other games. I may even visit COH/COV from time to time, but the thrill is most definitely gone.

I've been checking out some of the Architect Missions. Some folks have real talent.

And BTW, if you are in an SG make sure the leader knows to set the permissions for every storage rack separately. Iy defaults with just the leader and Superleader allowed.

Both the Scions and Eurostar are reset so people can use them again.

I didn't know that about the Storage Racks Tim. Thanks!

Check out story lines by @Woebane, @Stroud, and @Lemming

Woebane has three up. He's a good writer so the text is worth reading.

Stroud has a Zoo adventure up. Good attention to detail.

My own is "Clockwork Orange". Imo, still needs work, but the latest version isn't bad. If just for the robots wearing derbies.

[rant] People, when you create missions, it is not necessary to put multiple EBs in every mission. EBs represent the top teirs of an organization. Not every Boss you meet. Try using regular Bosses once in a while. Then people who run solo could actually run the mission. [/rant]

And FYI I run on Tenacious and am getting these.

COH is a pretty cool game and concept but they really didn't put enough variety into settings. They needed to put more interesting locations into the game; I got sick of the damn office building and warehouse settings by level 10. Lots of opportunity for growth in the game still, tons they could add to it and make it more fun but I guess its probably not worth the money and time now. Last time I logged in it was heartbreaking, so few people around.