City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Interesting. I'd like to get out of Skyway very much. Set a time with me privately and meet me in front of the medical center I was revived at. Look for Lord Kronstien (Level 4 Mutant Scrapper -- Mutant seemed the closest origin to "extradimensional").

Also, I now have a Level 2 Magic Scrapper called Kaishaku on Champion. He was standing right in front of Atlas Park when I signed off.

Finally, I'm still on the demo. If I buy the DVD-ROM, what should I do with it? Do I install it or simply input a code to get my upgrade and my 30 days?

If you are going to buy the game, get the new mission architect boxed version coming out. Less time downloading patches/updates.

Anyone on Victory by any chance?

New announcement. I'm intrigued. I was hoping for this when CoV started since I've always liked the redemption theme.

I am intrigued by the "alignment system" that is mentioned. I wonder if it means that heroes will actually be expected to act like heroes?

For example, how many comic book heroes, when faced with a mission to rescue a kidnapped civilian, would systematically beat up every minion in the building, whether or not they were in the way of the rescue attempt, before actually rescuing the poor civilian? Or when asked to retrieve a stolen whoozits, how many continue to beat up minions after obtaining said whoozits? That is normal behavior for game players (attempting to get as much XP as possible out of the mission before exiting), but is not very heroic.

I had opined, once upon a time, that it would be nice to have a way to reward characters who didn't act like the Punisher on every mission. Such as, every enemy that you defeat subtracts some amount from the XP earned from the mission XP. This would mean that after some point, there would be no benefit to taking missions over hunting bad guys on the street. It would make it beneficial to try to fulfill the mission objectives with a minimum of violence -- or at least, make you carefully choose which enemies to fight. Maybe minions earn less than they subtract, lieutenants are even, and bosses and above earn more than they subtract.

Just a thought.

Don't get me started on allowing villains to act like villains.

It turns out I'm @Redshot21. I wonder if I need a better handle, but I only get one chance to set one -- I don't know whether that's 'ever" or because I'm on a Demo account.

On Protector, my Level 4 Mutant Scrapper (Lord Kronstien) was left standing directly in front of the medical center in Skyway. As mentioned before, I need to get OUT of Skyway and back to Atlas Park. I have an ongoing mission in Atlas park at a warehouse on the southwest corner of the zone map -- the problem, as I mentioned, has been getting there. I don't have any movement powers to make running the gauntlet any easier. If someone can get me back there and back on track for the mission I'd appreciate it. It would also help to get another couple of levels -- or eventually to get enough levels that wrong turns aren't universally fatal.

On Champion, I have a Level 2 Magic Scrapper (Kaishaku). He was left standing near Ms. Liberty after getting killed once and taking out a few random thugs including some Level 4s. I don't have any missions for him and haven't even been to City Hall to pick one up, and have no contacts outside the Tutorial adventure.

I have a couple of variations on Redshot (a science blaster with a machine gun) on a couple of other servers. I don't think I'm going to be using them anymore. He just isn;t very efficient and I can't prevent thugs from closing distance in a hurry after I start shooting at them.

I'm wondering when my heroes get to be super. So far the thugs are close to forcing my hand as far as what I do. I'd like to have a car to get to mission sites, but the only cars in the game appear to be random distractions.

It turns out I'm @Redshot21. I wonder if I need a better handle, but I only get one chance to set one -- I don't know whether that's 'ever" or because I'm on a Demo account.

On Protector, my Level 4 Mutant Scrapper (Lord Kronstien) was left standing directly in front of the medical center in Skyway. As mentioned before, I need to get OUT of Skyway and back to Atlas Park. I have an ongoing mission in Atlas park at a warehouse on the southwest corner of the zone map -- the problem, as I mentioned, has been getting there. I don't have any movement powers to make running the gauntlet any easier. If someone can get me back there and back on track for the mission I'd appreciate it. It would also help to get another couple of levels -- or eventually to get enough levels that wrong turns aren't universally fatal.

On Champion, I have a Level 2 Magic Scrapper (Kaishaku). He was left standing near Ms. Liberty after getting killed once and taking out a few random thugs including some Level 4s. I don't have any missions for him and haven't even been to City Hall to pick one up, and have no contacts outside the Tutorial adventure.

I have a couple of variations on Redshot (a science blaster with a machine gun) on a couple of other servers. I don't think I'm going to be using them anymore. He just isn;t very efficient and I can't prevent thugs from closing distance in a hurry after I start shooting at them.

I'm wondering when my heroes get to be super. So far the thugs are close to forcing my hand as far as what I do. I'd like to have a car to get to mission sites, but the only cars in the game appear to be random distractions.

you might want to double check your missions (there's a dropdown for that). The Tutorial sets a mission to talk to your first contact. So you should have a contact to talk to.

Tasha :D

I'm wondering when my heroes get to be super. So far the thugs are close to forcing my hand as far as what I do.

Yeah, that's a bit frustrating in CoH.

One thing to check that's easy to miss starting out is the difficulty level. When I first started playing, I looked at the titles and figured that the "Invincible" AtomAnt sounded better than the other options. Six levels later I found out that I might want to change that before tackling Frostfire again...:o

I had opined' date=' once upon a time, that it would be nice to have a way to reward characters who didn't act like the Punisher on every mission. Such as, every enemy that you defeat subtracts some amount from the XP earned from the mission XP. This would mean that after some point, there would be no benefit to taking missions over hunting bad guys on the street. It would make it beneficial to try to fulfill the mission objectives with a minimum of violence -- or at least, make you carefully choose which enemies to fight. Maybe minions earn less than they subtract, lieutenants are even, and bosses and above earn more than they subtract. [/quote']

Well, theoretically, you are "arresting" each thug you beat unconscious, so it's not necessarily that unreasonable. But yes, some way of distinguishing Batman from the Punisher would be nice.

If you are going to buy the game, get the new mission architect boxed version coming out. Less time downloading patches/updates.

Anyone on Victory by any chance?

I bought the Collector's DVD Edition because I found it in a closeouts store for $10. This version came with a CoV poster, PVPonline comic book, and a Limited Edition Statesman HeroClix. It also conveys several things to all characters: a VIP badge, a cape, and a unique power -- the Power Slide. The power slide has a neat glowie effect around your feet and (AFAIK) is faster than sprinting.

But I did have to wait several hours for the update download -- even on my broadband cable connection.

Well' date=' theoretically, you are "arresting" each thug you beat unconscious, so it's not necessarily that unreasonable. But yes, some way of distinguishing Batman from the Punisher would be nice.[/quote']

I'm blanking on the name of the character, but he carried guns and had a CVK. He'd jump into combat yelling "Flesh wounds!"

My fire/fire blaster I tend to joke that it's a good thing that we have the finest burn ward at the Zig.

I bought the Collector's DVD Edition because I found it in a closeouts store for $10. This version came with a CoV poster, PVPonline comic book, and a Limited Edition Statesman HeroClix. It also conveys several things to all characters: a VIP badge, a cape, and a unique power -- the Power Slide. The power slide has a neat glowie effect around your feet and (AFAIK) is faster than sprinting.

The prestige sprint powers are all the same speed, they just add a different visual SFX.

Also, if you keep your account long enough, one of the Veterans Rewards is an unlock for all the sprint powers.

The prestige sprint powers are all the same speed, they just add a different visual SFX.

Also, if you keep your account long enough, one of the Veterans Rewards is an unlock for all the sprint powers.

However, you don't get Power Slide from the vet reward, just the Preorder Prestige Sprints.

As far as feeling super, its all relative.

For starters, compared to most other MMO's you do start off pretty bad arse. You can actually run around and do some stuff. I recall some other games where I never got past the killing rats or corellian butterfly stage because it was too frustrating and the starting characters sucked that bad.

As you level up in the early game you pick up powers fast, and your character fills in with good options.

The reality for me is, the game doesn't really start until around level 10 to 14 depending on the powerset of a character, but on the other hand its pretty easy to get there. Past 14 when you get your first REAL travel power the game really takes off, and your character becomes very super. High level CoH characters are extremely powerful; a level 50 CoH character would probably take 500 to 750+ points to stat out completely though its not entirely clear cut since the game uses a scaling damage model and mitigation schemes are percentile driven vs flat.

Anyway, not to get distracted or into a protracted level to points discussion, it's kind of like you start off as a 250 point champions character with some unusual design limitations, and hit 350 points round about the mid teens. Not precisely, but hopefully you get my meaning.

The really odd thing to me is the inability to start with a travel power, and having to wait so long to get one. The main concern of the devs early on IIRC was that the travel powers do require you to be somewhat capable of controlling your characters movement effectively and also allow you to get to places that it may not be a good idea for you to go as a lowbie. I think that's kind of bs, especially at this point when most players are veterans, but its baked into the game and there you go. The ability to get a temp travel power in the Safeguard missions earlier than 14 alleviates this a little bit, and if you really really really must have a travel power earlier you can pay 5 bucks per 30 day cycle to have a jump pack on all your characters.

Having said all that, getting back to the relative thing, if you are always facing opponents at your outer edges then you are always equivalently challenged. It just feels more portentous to take down a named bad guy of some stature than to take down a horde of thugs single handedly in Perez Park, but looked at from a challenge rating perspective there are points where it might be an equivalent encounter from a risk / reward / resource expenditure analysis. Its also more fun to do it using more powers; it seems less anonymous. But if you think about it, if you had one Strike ability and could use it repeatedly with no recharge required, you wouldn't need 7 different "Strike" effects; you might need a point strike and an AoE strike or a Mez strike, etc -- tool boxy effects. However its more fun to be able to throw crazy attacks with cool wind ups / animations and less boring.

On the subject of boring, there is also a quite a bit of monotony that sets in as you climb the levels -- at the end of the day the game is predominantly a button mashing exercise if you ignore the storylines. The grind can get tedious if you let it. On the other hand if you stop worrying about levels and focus on just playing the game the grind feeling subsides quite a bit.

What makes the game fun for me in spurts is the teaming and some of the cool features, like ouroboros. The ability to sidekick up or exemplar down is awesome and makes the game very flexible to teaming up. The in game communication model is very flexible as well. I like the very wide variety of villain types, though I don't like all the villain types I like that there are so many of them with such a diverse coverage. Some of the Task Forces are a lot of fun and have a real "comic book" feel to them, assuming you can get a group together that's not a bunch of total a$$hats. If you have some friends to play with the game's enjoyability factor goes way up.

However' date=' you don't get Power Slide from the vet reward, just the Preorder Prestige Sprints.[/quote']

Truly? Ill take your word for it. I'm unimpressed by the SFX tack ons and never use them anyway. There are a bunch of them though.

Guest Celt

I slot the preorder sprint with speed, and the regular sprint with end red.

The slide is the same speed as regular sprint or the pre-order/vet reward sprints, just different visual effects.

A quick semi-movement power:

Take Hurdle from the Fitness pool at 6. At 8, take Combat Jumping from Leaping pool. these 2 stack and helps you cover a lot more ground in a single bound than everything but a full movement power.

A quick semi-movement power:

Take Hurdle from the Fitness pool at 6. At 8, take Combat Jumping from Leaping pool. these 2 stack and helps you cover a lot more ground in a single bound than everything but a full movement power.

Ya; the top possible speed with this combo is around 55mph if memory serves. There are some who don't even take a real travel power and make do with this and Ouroboros and temp powers if needed.

Ya; the top possible speed with this combo is around 55mph if memory serves. There are some who don't even take a real travel power and make do with this and Ouroboros and temp powers if needed.

This is a fav of PvPs that I've seen. Since neither one get's reduced when you attack.

The MA you saw last night had that until she hit 14.

On the villain side, you can park a char at Grandville for 21 days and get a travel pack for the day job. (Of course, you should be able to get way past lvl 14 in that time)

If I bother, I just put extra speed in my sprint, and a jump in my slide.

The MA you saw last night had that until she hit 14.

On the villain side, you can park a char at Grandville for 21 days and get a travel pack for the day job. (Of course, you should be able to get way past lvl 14 in that time)

If I bother, I just put extra speed in my sprint, and a jump in my slide.

or just buy a jetpack at Firebase Zulu or in Grandville..just have a higher level person sidekick/lackey you there for safety.

The 60 month Vet reward unlocks the actual travel power at level 6, rather than level 14 plus one previous power from the pool.

Cool, but this probably should be awarded at 21 or 24 months -- right about the time you are working on your second or third character, and getting bored having to run from contact to mission back to contact again.

The 60 month Vet reward unlocks the actual travel power at level 6, rather than level 14 plus one previous power from the pool.

Cool, but this probably should be awarded at 21 or 24 months -- right about the time you are working on your second or third character, and getting bored having to run from contact to mission back to contact again.

Yea, I'm looking forward to this change. Though I think they won't retroactively go back at this point to change vet rewards, but who knows.

I still want the Vet Reward that gives you your contact's phone number right away. And any talk to mission, you can just call the person. Maybe I need to send that in as a suggestion again.

City of Heroes Resources:

City of Heroes

http://www.cityofheroes.com/

Paragon Wiki

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

City of Heroes Wiki

http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/City_of_Heroes_Wiki

City of Heroes - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes

Cheers

QM