Cyberpunk Champions

Storm Shadow

Is there any book of champions that helps you to build cyberpunk kind plots?

I mean with cybepunk a futurist catastrophe story, when the humanity or earth or life is diying or a supervillian group won a battle a conquered the world and destroyed it. I mean a future when the start is "ok everything is bad, people die for millions, no governments, jungle law, etc" I love this kind of stories and I would like to play something like this but as I never was a game master I could like some help from a book like this to build my catastrophic world :)

Re: Cyberpunk Champions

I ran a cyberpunk+metahuman game about 1 1/2 years ago and it was quite fun.

To be frank, I would suggest using cyberpunk books or other RPGs such as...well...."Cyberpunk" the RPG or even parts of Shadowrun as inspiration and just splice in the supers element where you think appropriate.

The way you describe your concept sounds alot like a post-apocalyptic world setting, of which extreme "cyberpunk" is only one example.

While I don't know of a specific Hero Games book on this subject, this thread contains a lot of usable material for such a game: discussion and suggestions, a large list of inspirational books, movies etc., plus numerous links to related websites.

I hope it's of some use to you. :)

Well, in the "superpunk" sub-sub-genre, there's basically two games:

Mayfair's Underground, which is very tongue in cheek, but provides an interesting mechanic for PCs actually making a difference in the campaign world.

There's also "Cyber-Generation", from R.Talsorian, basically anime teens with superpowers in a cyberpunk setting.

Neither one of those is really post-holocaust, though. But you could probably read a few hundred back issues of various comics and graphic novels to get a thematic feel, though.

Cyberpunk Champions

This is slightly off-topic.

But related to "Cyberpunk", how does one go about constructing a "cyberverse".

To build powers that simulate the ideas presented in an electronic reality is easy enough, but the playing out is just special effect. Unless of course, everyone interacts in the pocket universe, or is it just a bunch of Solo adventures with the powers limited by "Only in Cyperspace"

This is slightly off-topic.

But related to "Cyberpunk", how does one go about constructing a "cyberverse".

To build powers that simulate the ideas presented in an electronic reality is easy enough, but the playing out is just special effect. Unless of course, everyone interacts in the pocket universe, or is it just a bunch of Solo adventures with the powers limited by "Only in Cyperspace"

Theres a few ways to do this.

One way is to treat it as a type of EDM or Desoldi with Leaves Body Behind, but I dont care for that method so Ill selfishly skip describing it.

Another way is as a simple Computer Programming and/or Systems Operation and/or other skill roll (often contested by an opposing program, like "Intrusion Countermeasure" software), or a series of such skill rolls. This is the most realistic, but the most dry way to do this.

Another way is with a special use of either Multiform or Duplication bought via a Focus (Cyberdeck or computer ususally), with the campaign rule that the Multiform or Duplicate only exists in the "Net" or "Matrix" or whatever you call it, and treat the "Net" as a normal environment. This can be fun, but typically only if everyont in the PC group can participate. Multiform is good for this in 5e bcs a persons Net-self could be grossly more powerful than their real physical person in the cruel "real world". Otherworld or The Matrix styles Nets could be done like this.

My prefered way to do it however is via Mental Powers only usable via the Net (-1 or more at the GM's option), also usually bought via a computer focus of some sort, or handled via a Data Link and a Restrainable by severing Data Link Lim. The advantage to this method is that the Net is purely in the mind, and Mental Powers (or BOECV Powers) are already able to simulate that without additional rules. Interactive programs are just built as AI's, and a hacker uses Mind Control (perhaps with a Computer Programming RSR) to force the AIs to use their programmatic routines at the hackers direction. For the Black Ice effect of brain frying hackers, just use a BOECV KA or a BOECV Drain vs INT (MD applies), depending on whether you prefer the dead or vegetative variety of burned out hacker. For trace programs use Mind Scan, for Data Scans use Telepathy, for Trojan mode use Invis vs Mental, for Interrupt use EGO Attack, etc etc etc.

A couple of recurring themes in cyberpunk stories are that "everybody is owned by somebody else" and "don't trust anybody". You don't want a group of players constantly stabbing each other in the back, but it's a lot of fun to get them "helping" each other to further their own semi-legal needs.

I am such an idiot for forgetting about the following two items :o :

I hate to add to your reading burden, but if you click on the "Free Stuff" link in the banner at the top of this page, then on "HERO System Documents," you can download "The HERO System Genre by Genre," a free 44-page .pdf file which gives guidelines on how to run different genres using HERO, including sample characters, spells/powers/tech, genre conventions and how to simulate them, and more. There's a fair-sized section on the Cyberpunk genre which includes suggestions for entering cyberspace, plus a few samples of pregenerated cyberware. It's not enough to run a whole campaign, but it's a start.

Of much more potential use to you is the Kazei 5 anime/cyberpunk worldbook by Michael "Susano" Surbrook, purchasable as an e-book right here in the website's Online Store. It's a very well-developed post-collapse world with a strong Japanese anime/manga flavor, but there's a lot of technical details that would be very adaptable to any cyberpunk setting. It's for 4th Edition HERO System, but the differences are small enough that you shouldn't have much trouble dealing with them.

You can sample a lot of this material on Mike's superb website, "Surbrook's Stuff." This link will take you directly to the Kazei 5 section of the website.

two products for cyberpunk ideas, both from R Talsorian:

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.

Hardwired.

I prefer the way hacking is done in Hardwired as it gives more a grit feel to it. Hardwired has more of the post-apocalypse feel to it, CP2020 simply has a good CP feel to it overall.

And if all your looking for is plot seeds and ideas log onto usenet somehow and lurk in alt.cyberpunk.chatsubo which is an amateur CP literary newsgroup (people write and post stories). If you want to really get into the genre hop into alt.cyberpunk and check the FAQ which has a large list of CP style books with which to feed your imagination.

[for those who want to know what the "chatsubo" is for/from, it's the name of the bar at the begining of William Gibson's 'Neuromancer' novel where US ex-patriot's all hang out and translates as "Tea Bowl" from Japanese.]

I am such an idiot for forgetting about the following two items :o :

I hate to add to your reading burden, but if you click on the "Free Stuff" link in the banner at the top of this page, then on "HERO System Documents," you can download "The HERO System Genre by Genre," a free 44-page .pdf file which gives guidelines on how to run different genres using HERO, including sample characters, spells/powers/tech, genre conventions and how to simulate them, and more. There's a fair-sized section on the Cyberpunk genre which includes suggestions for entering cyberspace, plus a few samples of pregenerated cyberware. It's not enough to run a whole campaign, but it's a start.

Of much more potential use to you is the Kazei 5 anime/cyberpunk worldbook by Michael "Susano" Surbrook, purchasable as an e-book right here in the website's Online Store. It's a very well-developed post-collapse world with a strong Japanese anime/manga flavor, but there's a lot of technical details that would be very adaptable to any cyberpunk setting. It's for 4th Edition HERO System, but the differences are small enough that you shouldn't have much trouble dealing with them.

You can sample a lot of this material on Mike's superb website, "Surbrook's Stuff." This link will take you directly to the Kazei 5 section of the website.

Don't be so rude with yourself! ;) Document already downloaded!

And if you keep buying this and/or pestering Steve, there may be a 5th edition version written! (hint! hint!) :snicker:

"Listen Up You Primative Screwheads"

The Unexpurgated CyberPunk Referee's Guide

Advice on:

*How to properly start a Campaign

*Good character rule choices -- that aren't just Solos

*When your players think that they're smarter than you

*Beef up your Lifepath: Why should the Cybergen kids get all the angst?

*Should your game walk those Mean Streets -- or fly higher than Dynasty

*How to run combat against an ex-Marine -- and not lose all your NPCs in the first round

*As a bonus, you get Uncle Mike's Dirty Tricks: notes by the Master from a thousand savage conventions

Best RPG book I own.

"Listen Up You Primative Screwheads"

The Unexpurgated CyberPunk Referee's Guide

Advice on:

*How to properly start a Campaign

*Good character rule choices -- that aren't just Solos

*When your players think that they're smarter than you

*Beef up your Lifepath: Why should the Cybergen kids get all the angst?

*Should your game walk those Mean Streets -- or fly higher than Dynasty

*How to run combat against an ex-Marine -- and not lose all your NPCs in the first round

*As a bonus, you get Uncle Mike's Dirty Tricks: notes by the Master from a thousand savage conventions

Best RPG book I own.

That would be one of the best RPG products out there. Unfortunately, somebody stole mine. :mad:

That would be one of the best RPG products out there. Unfortunately' date=' somebody stole mine. :mad:[/quote']

Read my first copy to pieces, got a second from eBay for about £5 (~$8.80).

Great for dealing with problem players, inspiring campaign themes, understanding the conventions of the genre... Cyberpunk is a genre right? Or is it just a style?

Read my first copy to pieces, got a second from eBay for about £5 (~$8.80).

Great for dealing with problem players, inspiring campaign themes, understanding the conventions of the genre... Cyberpunk is a genre right? Or is it just a style?

that depends entirely on who you ask.

Strictly speaking, Cyberpunk is simply a sub-genre of Science Fiction literature and wasn't "The Movement" until Bruce Sterling got his hands on it (check the web for Cheap Truth).

I personally believe Cyberpunk is a style, almost any genre can attain the correct feel of Cyberpunk if done correctly.... anywhere the "sky is the color of a television tuned to a dead station."