Who would be the Super Heroes of your region?

Hermit

Re: Who would be the Super Heroes of your region?

I love how the single South American hero is in Brazil and it's named 'El Dorado'. El Dorado is a Colombian legend. Plus, a really stereotyped Super Friend.

Making all 'foreign' heroes based on native things is somewhat flaky (by that logic, American heroes would be Big Mac, Super Mickey Mouse and Muffler Man)

I hate that tendency, both in comics and in role-playing games.

who'd be floridas super-heroes?

"It's our state hero, Social Security!"

"Hi kids! How are you today?"

"Uh, we're not kids. I'm 45."

"Yes, yes, kids. Now remember! Eat lots of fiber, and always drive at least ten miles an hour lower than the posted limit, just to be safe! Up, up, and . . . aaaaigh! I think I broke my hip!"

My home state of Montana has just shy of a million people, so it may not have a superhero at all. If it did, it would be the Freeman. A minor brick with incredible defenses and various life supports, he's eco-warrior with a distrust of the Federal government who evaded the authorities after attempting to secede from the union. Now a fugitive, he roams around the state halting or helping both mining and logging operations according to his own, mysterious code of ethics.

Okay, totally unrelated to any actual campaign. Maybe when/if I retire:

Vancouver, British Columbia's own Raincoasters!

Ravenspeaker (already in CU continuity): a half-Haida metis, he was raised in Vancouver, going to a tony private school, university and arts school, where he became interested in his father's culture. Returning to the Queen Charlotte Islands, he learned the ways of his people and blah blah. He has a typical magical VP keyed to some artistic focii (carved cedar masks, canoes, paddles, etc.) In his alternate identity, he's a rich, old world-famous artist. And dead. Better cover when the scary times that Whale and Raven predict a-coming, come.

Strong Joy A small, alert, incredibly chipper Asian woman. Memorises new English vocabulary from her notebook in downtime. High speed, some MA. Oh... and 80 Str. Supervillains often say that they've never been violently subdued by anyone so friendly and helpful before. Probably a mutant. Do not, repeat not, threaten her family (DNPC partner and "nephew.") When the Dragons try that again, it will be for keeps.

The Faller Acrobat/Weapon Master/low-level Brick, and expert logger.Yes, his weapon is a chainsaw, and he has a double-penetrating HKA attack (must grapple first). You'll laugh until he gets his legs wrapped around you. Don't call him a Lumberjack. If he's in a good mood, you're in for a Monty Python reference. If he's not, you're in trouble. Last name is Lacrosse, and his grandmother lives on the Mount Currie reserve, but strongly discourages discussion of his "race." Similarly reluctant to discuss mutant issues, about which his grandmother knows more than she's telling, it seems. Has a lasting grudge against The Last Mine for leading his grandfather to his death somewhere in the wilds near Lillooet.

The Escapist Gadgeteer with a dual escape and aviation focus, "Commando" MA. An older WASP with a faint British accent, he's an outrageous bigot who causes non-stop friction on the team, but a patriot for all his faults, and when the chips are down, he is a dauntless inspiration. Second in wealth only to Rainmaker, but very reluctant to use it for the good of the team. Desperately hunting Der Freibeuter, the allegedly immortal German mastermind behind everything that has gone wrong in BC since 1914 because he is "getting his hands on WMD." Thinks that said WMD were smuggled out of Iraq by the Rockefellers, mind, but there's a disturbing pattern of geiger counter evidence emerging...

Morning Glory Flaky upper middle-class Catholic Eurasian girl. Went to Little Flower Academy. Of course. Vegetation controller. If you've ever been in the backyard of a student renter in Vancouver on an August morning, you know to fear her. Don't assume that just because you're flying 50" above the battle you're immune to an entangle. And despite her name, she does blackberries, too. And if you need to relax, yes, she does have connections. Not with the guys who got her the "great trip" that resulted in her powers, mind you. Them she cannot find. And what kind of name is Tom Bombadill, anyway? Psychically linked to one of the team's greatest enemies, The Last Mine.

Shatterglass "Fire support" type WNBP (White North Briton Protestant --never mind, 'tis a local thing) blaster, with a Mr. Furious-type vibe and "rage power" special effects. A city of glass could just disintegrate around him, just like his artistic career. Do not ask him how his job at McDonalds is going. Mutant. Could develop a broader spectrum of mentalist powers if he ever got the whole anger management thing going.

Skookum Joe Sikh (Indo-)Canadian flying speedster with lightning reflexes. Likes nothing better than to beat some Richmond kid in a street drag in his secret ID. Given to gangsta stylings, but a good, hard-working kid for all that. Morning Glory had her biggest trip on the river dykes at his family's blueberry farm. He and the Escapist have an unlikely bond based on working together to soup up his F-150.

Bananarama Mystic martial artist with lots of chi powers. Very flamboyant Asian(-looking) boy. His training has been slightly hampered by the fact that his family had absolutely no connection whatsoever with martial arts back in Guangdong and has become completely acculturated since his grandparents emigrated in the early '60s. Makes up for this by watching lots of wire-fu and anime. Idolises Christian Bale and is remarkably unmoved by...

Banghra Girl a pretty little Italo-Somali Surrey girl who has no idea why anyone would be surprised that she lives for bhangra dancing. A natural cyberpath and EM manipulator. She uses a cellphone, but it doesn't count as a focus because she can use any cell. Is she a mutant? Did the low-level radiation of the cell permanently glued to her ear change her somehow? Or is she some kind of sorceror? That would explain why the Fraser river occasionally calls her.

Oh, and she has 10 points in a bhangra related MA and a sword, because people expect that kind of thing.

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid we'd be stuck with "The Jersey Devil"...

What sort of powers would a guy codenamed "What Exit?" have anyway...

teleportation?

time for some bubbas mancy since this thread has inspired a spin-off

GOLDENGLOVES a boxing mma type

DR.DOLPHIN an aquatic power armor type

THE ORLANDO MAGICIAN[think a modern day max pendragon from vibora bay]

Western Australia has Red Dust, a man transformed by the power of the land itself, capable of changing his density from being a red stone brick to a cloud of his namesake, and teleporting anywhere in the western half of the country via the living stone.

Since I live in Hello Kitty Town (I am not kidding), I suppose that lovable feline or one of her many friends would be the local super. They have a base: the castle that is Sanrio Puroland.

If I were to create a more standardly Championsy super, however, I'd probably look to riff off of the name of this area: Tama New Town.

Shin-Tama (新多摩, perhaps) would be a young heroine with powers based around purity and water. She would be able to travel quickly around the Tama River and all the small rivers that empty into it. She would have the ability to leech toxins (up to and including negative feelings) from her targets. Normally quiet and content to move slowly through the region, she takes on a wilder, more dangerous character when it rains -- swelling with power and speed.