Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

She asked for (and got) a new Pyrex baking dish. She has just about all the cooking gear we can use (and store); that's long been a gift theme, but it's about exhausted now. The only reason she asked for the new baking dish is because the old one broke (which I didn't know until she asked).

Crap. Had to ask for another week of admin privileges on this silly machine. Sigh. If I hadn't been spending money like water this last month, I'd blow it off and buy me the laptop I've been coveting. With a familiar OS and ownership, I can get what I want in half an hour. Mind you, I can't say I'm familiar with Vista, which is what the laptop would almost certainly come with.

Crap. Had to ask for another week of admin privileges on this silly machine. Sigh. If I hadn't been spending money like water this last month' date=' I'd blow it off and buy me the laptop I've been coveting. With a familiar OS and ownership, I can get what I want in half an hour. Mind you, I can't say I'm familiar with Vista, which is what the laptop would almost certainly come with.[/quote']

I've been having the same thoughts except that I can't get Admin rights at all. So I use a crappy laptop running Linux most of the time and only use the windows laptop if I have to access one of the IE only pages. I really should get WINE running to get around all of it.

How often do you run into an IE-only site' date=' besides M$'s own places? Or is that part of your duties?[/quote']

There are a fortunately shrinking, but still present, number of web designers who check their work in IE and that is it. If it works under other browsers it is a happy coincidence, nothing more.

The really big culprit is Siebel, followed by a couple of other CRM software mfrs. These clowns code for IE and nothing but IE, and then dumb@ss CIOs who don't know any better buy it for any website that requires even a marginally complicated back end database. So although I have 98% of my company on low-maintenance Macs, I have to support Parallels or VMware or Virtual PC on all of them, with Windoze licenses, just so that everyone has a copy of Windows IE6 they can use to use vendor configurators or bid on gubmint contracts.

I have yet to see any of these sites done in a way that couldn't have been done better in PHP/MySQL or (if it was reeeally complicated) Javascript or even Flash. Siebel has to be one of the bigger scams going on in the IT industry today.