Longest Running Thread EVER

No really, it was supposed to irradiate you and make you a Kaiju so that you would terrorise the Rocky Mountains as a gigantic, flying, nuclear breath firing squirrel.

I had such high hopes.......

No really, it was supposed to irradiate you and make you a Kaiju so that you would terrorise the Rocky Mountains as a gigantic, flying, nuclear breath firing squirrel.

I had such high hopes.......

Finally got the gatepost into position and shoveled the concrete into the hole today.  Shoulda been done several weeks ago, but my weekends have been consumed by other things since late August.  Concrete's gotta cure a few days, and then I can restore the fence and the gate onto the new post.

We no longer have a fence. Our place had an old three-foot wooden slat fence around it; they came and took it out this morning. They're coming in to set new posts on Monday and install the new fence in it's entirety a week later. It's going to be a grey and white vinyl fence that is supposed to look like aspen bark. Six feet tall along the north side (between our place and a busy street), four feet between the front (NE) and side (N) yards, three feet along the front yard so as not to block sight lines from the cross street. 

Our place is old and has a complex history.  Around the north half or so of the property, there's a 1940s-vintage cyclone fence from Sears, though part of that fence is now embedded inside a boxwood hedge.  The rest of the fence is wood, put up initially in the late 1980s.  I had to replace a bunch of it in 2010 as post rot plus a windstorm set a couple of sections falling down or strongly leaning, and most of the rest of the wood portion was replaced in 2020 after it was destroyed by tree branches that broke off after a snowstorm.  This current repair was triggered by a new driver error resulting in car to body shop and breaking the gatepost and disrupting stuff connected to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed the repair of the gate and fence adjacent to it.  The gate doesn't hang straight, but with (real) autumn coming this weekend (i.e., the rains are supposed to start) I declared it good enough.   It opens, it closes, it latches, and there are no obviously broken timbers in clear view.  As the Sithlord once sort of commented, "The DGAF is strong with this one."

On 10/5/2022 at 11:42 PM, Super Squirrel said:

*Pokes head in to look at a discussion thread he created a little while ago*

Still going.  Good.

On 10/6/2022 at 5:37 AM, death tribble said:

WHAT ??????

Where did he come from ?

That'll teach me to buy tactical nuclear devices from Walmart instead of Target !

Bother !

Back to the drawing board.......

I figured SS had been transformed into this celestial cosmic entity photographed by the Hubble telescope:

SquirellyWrath.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it disturbs me that it so often seems that they've never had to consider situations where multiple processes are operating simultaneously, and those processes interact to produce results that are impossible to understand if the only way you know how to think is via a chain of single-step direct cause-effect interactions.  Surely the great stories in literature and classical mythology transcend that trivially mechanistic sequential model; even I know that.  So why is it that no more than 15-20% of students seem able to grasp that such a situation involving nonhuman physical operations can exist?

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning on two new threads for the New Year and was wondering what people thought and whether I could get help.

The main one is a Film thread on NGD but it has specific rules such as only myself and the admins post lists so I need to have the first few posts clear for that.

Then it would only be one film per post and more importantly why someone recommends it and why. So actors, directors etc.

The big thing to bear in mind is that the person posting MUST have seen the film in question.

You can then respond saying whether you like or dislike a selection.

On the initial post of the thread would be the current genre under discussion and this would continue until we run out of steam. This would change but I would update as necessary.

I am thinking that the first Genre would be Westerns.

After we get enough posts if there are a lot of choices we could have votes to get a top ten.

The second thread will be in the Champions forum and will be about villains trying to do at least one a month stating them up and perhaps hunting up artwork for them. No master villains but solo villains, teams and jobber of te week would be the idea. This has been inspired by my finding a number of artists that I was not aware of previously on Deviantart.

Obviously the first thread is the one I would need help with particularly with regard to the administrators as they would have to be willing and eager to help.,

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car headlights aligned yesterday. 

In about a 3-week interval in November, both my headlights burned out.  The first one went out about Halloween, and I resolved to go cyclops for a month and a half until after the term was over.  But the 2nd one failed the Friday night before Thanksgiving (at the house of friends where we have regular gaming), and so my wife came, brought me home, and then shuttled me back to bring my vehicle home in daylight the next day.  But because of our northerly latitude and late sunrise time in early December, I needed to get the lights fixed ASAP: for the post-Thanksgiving week plus of lectures and final exams, my morning commute was certainly in darkness, and about half the time my evening commute was also. 

Managed to get the bulbs replaced at the dealer -- only they had the bulbs in stock -- on the subsequent Tuesday but they were certainly not pointed correctly.  (I had the impression they were all but pointed straight down; in retrospect it seems they were downward and wall-eyed.)  Given everyone was getting car maintenance done frantically before Thanksgiving and I barged in with an emergency problem, I can cut them some slack about that.   So I was legal to drive at night but I sure wasn't comfortable with it.  But between all the runnings-around that were required of me between submission of final grades and Christmas, and the continued frantic efforts of my fellow car owners in getting maintenance done before the holiday driving trip, I couldn't get that addressed until after Christmas weekend.  OTOH, emergency ferrying of relatives to and from hospital in the 11PM to 2 AM time interval requires headlights, but the traffic situation is milder then so I didn't have to go at the habitual 38-in-the-25-zone during that time.

Got the first post-Christmas shop date I could (yesterday) for the combination of routine 7.5 year service and headlight alignment.  It's better now.  OTOH, car goes back to the shop next week, as the rear brake pads have less than 20% left on them...

The number of Featured favourites on Deviantart I had was 50k. It is now below 30k. I have been working on this since late October. Total favourites was around 167k. One person was recently barred so 1,500 were lost. Two others have left due to AI controversy and two others barred me. And I have found more artists doing superhero art.

Now also begins chocolate watch. I have several large bars of chocolate and will not need to but again until mid-February or later. I usually have it with coffee. And one of the large bars takes 2 weeks. I have one bar that is twice the size of a large bar. So if anyone wants to start taking bets ? I also have an advent bar which you were supposed to have 1 bit per day as they are numbered 1-25. However I might have more than one bit per day.

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Now also begins chocolate watch. I have several large bars of chocolate and will not need to but again until mid-February or later. I usually have it with coffee. And one of the large bars takes 2 weeks. I have one bar that is twice the size of a large bar. So if anyone wants to start taking bets ? I also have an advent bar which you were supposed to have 1 bit per day as they are numbered 1-25. However I might have more than one bit per day.

That much chocolate should be gone in two minutes, not two weeks.  What kind of American are you?