Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

This isn't worth it's own thread, and it's not a Random Muse, so I'll add it to the body-count, er, post-count here. Pay attention, it gets complicated!

My manager (David) is going back to England at the end of next month. Now when he first heard of this late last year, his manager (Peter) spoke to my recruitment agency (Daniel) about what this meant for me. Daniel then told me the gist of the discussions, which was that with the money freed up, they were going to pay me more and extend my contract, since the project deadline wasn't going to be met - basicaly, a nudge and a wink to stop me looking for other work, since I'm being underpaid for my skills in this job.

Then, late last week, a former manager rings me up. He's moved jobs and is recruiting for his team, and I'm his number one target. He wants to talk rates straight away, and asks me what I'm currently on, and I tell him. He works out the equivalent (this job is permanent, I'm currently contracting) and says he'll try to get me that - I point out that I am underpaid (even he said that when I said my rate!!) and expect more - I'm not changing jobs for the same money. Plus I mention I'm expecting to get my new contract in two months.

I actually get together with James for a chat and he's still working on same money. I'm still saying he needs to offer more. Nevertheless, he asks me to send my resume so he can get the process rolling.

I think about it over the weekend and finally decide not to bother - there are some minuses about the job, for example, it's a city fringe location, not in the CBD, so transport is an issue. So this morning I'm composing a "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail and want to include how much my new contract will be, so if James really wants me, he knows what to offer. I have to see Peter to get my timesheet signed and whle I'm there, I ask him if I can speak to him about what happens when David leaves.

Now his answer is basically - nothing. He asks me what I expected to happen, and I tell him what Daniel has told me - and Peter says he told Daniel no such thing. What Daniel told me was too detailed to be based on a misinterpretation of some casual aside - it was along the lines of "Once Peter knows how much extra money he has in the budget, he'll work out what extra he can pay you." But what Peter tells me is apart from a small extension to cover the end-date overrun, that's it. He also says he's never discussed me with Daniel, and wouldn't do so unless he's spoken to me first.

Minutes later, I take my timesheet in to the agancy (they happen to be in the next building), and I ask Daniel, and he tells me what he has been told before - leaving me somewhat confused.

So I get back to the office and send off my resume to James instead. Tomorrow I have an interview with him and his manager. I still don't know if I'll take the job, but I figure I'd better keep my options open. I really want my next job to be a step up, either into a work sphere of interest, or greater responsibility, or more pay, or closer to home, or preferably all the above. This has a small amount of greater responsibility - I get to put "Senior" in front of my job title - but nothing else. I really would prefer the extra money, I've spent a chunk of my own money on courses lately (getting industry certification for one, a cool $2500, plus going to Uni on top of that) and want to see some return on my investment.

Of course, I could look on it as a stepping stone - but I'm sick of jumping from stone to stone with occasional dips in the river in between. I want to get to the far bank, and this doesn't look any closer to me.

Heh. Lemming's the first person to rep me in 2006. That's gotta be worth something.

*ponders*

I just tried, but I got to spread it around before I can give IT to you again.

*ponders*

Hope SS isn't the jealous type :D :D

This isn't worth it's own thread' date=' and it's not a Random Muse, so I'll add it to the body-count, er, post-count here. Pay attention, it gets complicated![/quote'] Mantis, I'm sort-of in a similar postion.

I'm currently unemployed and am looking for work. In two months time I resume uni, double degree in IT & Accounting (3/4 finished). My last few positions have been in accounts but they have been more data-entry with basic accounting knowledge and my study so far has been wasted. These positions have been at approximately the same level and I'm looking for the start of a "career" whatever that is.

It seems like I have two hobbies. One is studing at uni, the other is working to finance my study at uni in jobs that deal with accounts/data entry but I'm not using only peripheral information from uni at my jobs, the nexus between the two just isn't there.

So I feel for you in your present situation. My advice is for reasons you listed to take the new job if that is what you feel is best. Don't be afraid to take more money and have "Senior" in your job title. They are big things, the latter on a resume. Also, like you (I imagine), I'm looking for a permanent job in a field I enjoy, in an enviroment that is comfortable.

I forsee that your present contract will end shortly and this position of James allows you to bypass the situation I'm in -- looking for work. Get a good deal and take it.

And GOOD LUCK!!!

This isn't worth it's own thread, and it's not a Random Muse, so I'll add it to the body-count, er, post-count here. Pay attention, it gets complicated!

My manager (David) is going back to England at the end of next month. Now when he first heard of this late last year, his manager (Peter) spoke to my recruitment agency (Daniel) about what this meant for me. Daniel then told me the gist of the discussions, which was that with the money freed up, they were going to pay me more and extend my contract, since the project deadline wasn't going to be met - basicaly, a nudge and a wink to stop me looking for other work, since I'm being underpaid for my skills in this job.

Then, late last week, a former manager rings me up. He's moved jobs and is recruiting for his team, and I'm his number one target. He wants to talk rates straight away, and asks me what I'm currently on, and I tell him. He works out the equivalent (this job is permanent, I'm currently contracting) and says he'll try to get me that - I point out that I am underpaid (even he said that when I said my rate!!) and expect more - I'm not changing jobs for the same money. Plus I mention I'm expecting to get my new contract in two months.

I actually get together with James for a chat and he's still working on same money. I'm still saying he needs to offer more. Nevertheless, he asks me to send my resume so he can get the process rolling.

I think about it over the weekend and finally decide not to bother - there are some minuses about the job, for example, it's a city fringe location, not in the CBD, so transport is an issue. So this morning I'm composing a "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail and want to include how much my new contract will be, so if James really wants me, he knows what to offer. I have to see Peter to get my timesheet signed and whle I'm there, I ask him if I can speak to him about what happens when David leaves.

Now his answer is basically - nothing. He asks me what I expected to happen, and I tell him what Daniel has told me - and Peter says he told Daniel no such thing. What Daniel told me was too detailed to be based on a misinterpretation of some casual aside - it was along the lines of "Once Peter knows how much extra money he has in the budget, he'll work out what extra he can pay you." But what Peter tells me is apart from a small extension to cover the end-date overrun, that's it. He also says he's never discussed me with Daniel, and wouldn't do so unless he's spoken to me first.

Minutes later, I take my timesheet in to the agancy (they happen to be in the next building), and I ask Daniel, and he tells me what he has been told before - leaving me somewhat confused.

So I get back to the office and send off my resume to James instead. Tomorrow I have an interview with him and his manager. I still don't know if I'll take the job, but I figure I'd better keep my options open. I really want my next job to be a step up, either into a work sphere of interest, or greater responsibility, or more pay, or closer to home, or preferably all the above. This has a small amount of greater responsibility - I get to put "Senior" in front of my job title - but nothing else. I really would prefer the extra money, I've spent a chunk of my own money on courses lately (getting industry certification for one, a cool $2500, plus going to Uni on top of that) and want to see some return on my investment.

Of course, I could look on it as a stepping stone - but I'm sick of jumping from stone to stone with occasional dips in the river in between. I want to get to the far bank, and this doesn't look any closer to me.

Good luck. Sounds similar to something my wife has been going through.

Of course' date=' I could look on it as a stepping stone - but I'm sick of jumping from stone to stone with occasional dips in the river in between. I want to get to the far bank, and this doesn't look any closer to me.[/quote']

Not sure if this is true on other sides of the oceans, but at least here in the US there's nothing at all prejudicial about sending out resumes while you're in what seems to be close-strike range of landing a new position. You can always withdraw your interest if you get nibbles on those latter openings and you get the offer you want on the first one, and if the nearly-there thing falls through, you haven't lost any calendar days on your real job hunt.

I once observed (twenty years ago) that looking for a job was like body-surfing in an ocean of broken glass, to be washed up on a beach of margarita salt. I've never seen anything to contradict that observation.

Well, had my interview. Somewhat bizarre having James on the panel and knowing he has already made up his mind....

Anyway, I feel very dubious about the company - seem to be a lot of flash and no bang. Of course, they could turn out to be The Next Big Thing too, but the signs aren't positive IMHO. The last question of the the interview was how much money I wanted, and I said a figure they said they couldn't afford - so I guess I'll stay where I am.

Also, spoke to David about the situation in the current job - he thought I was getting more responsibility + more $ when he left too, that's what he's been telling Peter should happen - apparently he hasn't been listening. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I'll just continue with my background task of looking for a better job, and take the first one that crops up.

I'm in roughly the same position as last year - underpaid for my skills, and due for unemployment around April.

Well, had my interview. Somewhat bizarre having James on the panel and knowing he has already made up his mind....

Anyway, I feel very dubious about the company - seem to be a lot of flash and no bang. Of course, they could turn out to be The Next Big Thing too, but the signs aren't positive IMHO. The last question of the the interview was how much money I wanted, and I said a figure they said they couldn't afford - so I guess I'll stay where I am.

Also, spoke to David about the situation in the current job - he thought I was getting more responsibility + more $ when he left too, that's what he's been telling Peter should happen - apparently he hasn't been listening. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I'll just continue with my background task of looking for a better job, and take the first one that crops up.

I'm in roughly the same position as last year - underpaid for my skills, and due for unemployment around April.

Here's hoping something better comes your way. *fingers crossed*

Things are just getting bizarre...

My supervisor, David, took a call this morning from a recruitment agency. I have never applied for a job through this agency - in fact, the caller told David that she has never spoken to me at all. Yet, they knew that I had worked here, but weren't sure if I was still here, but also knew to call David to check on my status - although David has had no recent contact with this company either (he used to deal with them at a previous workplace, where they supplied some team members for him).

So somehow this agency knew where I worked and who I worked for, even though I have never applied for a job through them. Even if they were an agency I had contacted before, I have only added my current job to my resume recently, and only a couple of places have this updated version. I can only assume someone I know has mentioned my name to the agency as a prospect - but why not contact me direct then? Most peculiar.

Not that I mind - if folks are going to a lot of trouble to track me down because they want to offer me work, I'm not going to discourage them. But it does feel a little bit like being stalked :eek: !

At work we have a fake identity, a voice mail box which vendor calls get directed to if the vendor is just asking for "the IT manager" instead of anyone by name. Eventually, I check those voice mails, send them to appropriate people if they're new or the person is unusually persistent (just in case), and mostly these get deleted/ignored either by me or whoever else they go to.

Well, this fictitious manager has gotten head hunter calls asking if someone of their great skills would like a position. :rolleyes: Yup, that really gives confidence in those agencies and how they choose people...