Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I haven't read them, but I know the characters via a wierd way ... one my rivals in an electronic football (soccer) league had a team named the Sourcerors [sic] of Ankh-Mopork. The Luggage was their star goalkeeper.

A couple of years ago one of our Help Desk ladies--a fairly attractive blonde with a balcony you could read Shakespeare off of--had a stack of those extra large rubber bands on her desk. We were in a playful mood that day and had been randomly shooting the little green rubber bands at each other. She's not normally a playful type, but got into the spirit of things. She was wearing a plunging neckline at the time.

She called me over and said, "You want to try these?"

My reply was something like, "Wow, those are some big ones."

It took us both a couple of seconds to figure out why everyone else was laughing so hard. :rolleyes:

The Light Fantastic kicks it all off with a bang. As you apparently like S&S' date=' Alice, you'll def'nitely like Ankh-Morpork - nastier than Elweir will ever be in a year of mondays.[/quote']

NO NO NO !

Here I invoke MrVimes (the poster that is)

The first book is the Colour of Magic then it is the Light Fantastic. These you have to read as a pair. It sets everything else up from there.

Hey' date=' we actually own [i']Thief of Time[/i]. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Well with some of the books you have to read others first otherwise you miss quite a bit.

You can't read for example Eric or Interesting Times without having read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic first as this introduces Rincewind and the Luggage.

Guards ! Guards ! should be read as the start of the chronicles of Carrot and Mr Sam Vimes (the character not the poster). Certainly you can't read Jingo before that.

I forget offhand as the network is offline the order of some of the rest but I'll post that later.

Mort is the fourth book and takes a good look at Death. When Death decides to take an apprentice. Reaper Man should be read after that one.

Again with Terry Pratchett read Equal Rites before Witches Abroad Lords and Ladies and Maskerade.

Read Men at Arms after Guards ! Guards !

Read the Nightwatch after Feet of Clay and after Men at Arms

Several of the later books are stand alone but the must reads are Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, Mort and Guards Guards.

Not out of preference but because they introduce many of the recurring characters.

The books are not numbered. While it helps to read some books in a certain order ...

part of the charm of Discworld is that really, you can read them in whatever order you want to.

Personally I think Pratchett never had them numbered so people would purposely read them "out of order"