Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Going north->south on the East of King William St' date=' the streets are: North Tce, Rundle Mall, Grenfell Street, Pirie Street, Angas Street. My work is on a sidestreet between Grenfell and Pirie.[/quote']

Hey everybody, party at Mantis', woo-hoo!

The news report I saw tonight mentioned how the blast took place at around 3 AM' date=' and that there were a number of jerry cans found with the owner's body. Kinda hard not to jump to conclusions.[/quote']

"Jerry cans"?

Once again, thanks for the good wishes, all. I'm back, but I can't really say how it went. Several people so far have asked me and my response has to be a resounding "I dunno." Really. No overall reading one way or the other. :straight:

Now it's just wait & hope.

I know what you mean, Dr. A. I gave up years ago trying to read how an interview went, after getting it dead wrong, in both senses, the first three or four times I went through the process.

Not that I want to wish evil on anyone, much less you, but even if it went fantastially well, you still might not get the job, for a whole variety of reasons that have nothing to do with you.

"Jerry cans"?
See attachment. In WWII the British used poor-quality square tins for transporting fuel, which proved unsuited to the harsh North African environment, having a tendency to develop leaks through the seams as a result of a combination of the expansion of the contents in the heat and transport over rough terrain. The Germans used an Italian-design fuel can which the British immediately recognised as far superior; it was larger, more robust, and easier to handle. Examples of these captured by the British were pressed into service and were called "Jerry cans" from the nickname for the Germans. The British and then the US soon began producing their own copies. The design remains virtually unchanged today.

As to the explosion: there is some debate over whether it was a murder, or suicide, or simply an arson attempt gone wrong. According to an explosives expert, "it would take the equivalent of 5kg of high-velocity detonation explosives, expertly set and detonated, to cause so much damage." The cafe owner's car was parked out the back, reversed in, with the keys still in the ignition. His body was found under the collapsed back wall and it is thought he may have been trying to flee the premises. His family denies a news report he was in financial trouble, and also claims he had no enemies. However, according to one report he had been trying to sell the business for some time without success.

Ah' date=' but even good game contributions are no guarantee.[/quote']

If there were guaranteed ways of generating rep, it would be even less useful than it is.

Personally I specifically don't give out rep to people when they are fishing for it. Generally someone asking for rep makes me less likely to rep them even for other things for a while.

But then again I'm weird like that...

If there were guaranteed ways of generating rep, it would be even less useful than it is.

Personally I specifically don't give out rep to people when they are fishing for it. Generally someone asking for rep makes me less likely to rep them even for other things for a while.

But then again I'm weird like that...

I'm the same way, which is why I consider rep to be a nice bonus for putting stuff together. I like getting feedback in general for my contributions. So really, five posts on a topic about something I made are worth more than 10 hits of rep for the same posts, unless someone said something really insightful in the rep comment.

It's just, every time I think I finally understand what kinds of things people rep for, it shifts and changes. Now, it seems the only guarantee is on that "Rep the person above" thread, and that one makes me feel dirty.

Improved lyrics to Australia's national Anthem

Australians all, we've lost our voice,

For we are old and tired;

We've ceased our toil and sold our soil;

Our credit has expired.

We can't afford to pay our board,

And so we say this prayer

On bended knees. Will someone please

Advance Australia's fare.

http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/WM/AAFImproved.html