Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

that's basically the format of the audio on the CD itself. Awesome sound quality. Massive file size due to a 0 compression rate. Had I a couple terrabytes of space I'd go that route in a heartbeat. :)

I'm kind of thinking of building a terabyte system for DVD storage. We're tired of having media all around the house. I'm bad at putting things back, and my wife, while better, isn't so good at it either. Plus it's just a pain to go to a library and back. So I'm thinking of putting a desktop system in our media area and piling all our CDs and DVDs onto it (probably something sensible, though, such as converting as we listen sort of thing, rather than arbitrarily trying to do everything).

But then I think, well, at that point, I should think about what else we should do with a multimedia PC...

And all that is why it will probably remain a great idea without application...

I'm kind of thinking of building a terabyte system for DVD storage. We're tired of having media all around the house. I'm bad at putting things back, and my wife, while better, isn't so good at it either. Plus it's just a pain to go to a library and back. So I'm thinking of putting a desktop system in our media area and piling all our CDs and DVDs onto it (probably something sensible, though, such as converting as we listen sort of thing, rather than arbitrarily trying to do everything).

But then I think, well, at that point, I should think about what else we should do with a multimedia PC...

And all that is why it will probably remain a great idea without application...

The only thing stopping me from doing the same is the cost of near unlimited space. Single Terabyte drives are around $1000.

Apple has a nice 7TB RAID for a paltry 13,000$.

HP on the other hand has a lovely thing called the XP12000, scales all the up to 32 Petabytes. Price not listed....

The only thing stopping me from doing the same is the cost of near unlimited space. Single Terabyte drives are around $1000.

Apple has a nice 7TB RAID for a paltry 13,000$.

HP on the other hand has a lovely thing called the XP12000, scales all the up to 32 Petabytes. Price not listed....

Yeah, but there is a cheaper way to go with racking some external cheapie drives and then creating a copy process to pull onto appropriately-performing drives. Although, yes, I'm considering a $2-3K investment.

Just thought I'd pop in here and mention that, for the first time in months, there's some new Magic cards in my "HERO Forums Magic Cards" thread. (The "newest cards" page on my website is not yet updated, and won't be until well after I've fixed & eaten dinner. ;) )

I thought I would mention that I have just completed a Combat Record Sheet that is as close to the old 4th edition one as I could make. Look in the Hero Designer forum. Let me know if I missed anything, typos, etc.

Yeah' date=' but there is a cheaper way to go with racking some external cheapie drives and then creating a copy process to pull onto appropriately-performing drives. Although, yes, I'm considering a $2-3K investment.[/quote']

The only reason I'd look to a high end system is for fibre channel...

I've actually got a giant box in my basement that's for lots of HDs, just need all the HDs.

though I'm also looking at gigabit Ethernet in the house and large network drives, but those are even more hideously expensive. Basically my dream setup involves a cold room......

I'll be giving another mid-term on Thursday, the 23rd anniversary of the fire in my apartment in grad school. Trying do decide if that's some kind of Freudian thing on my part.

What' date=' dead but still busy? :D[/quote']Exactly. By my calculations, based on the average lifespan of the Australian male and my current income, I will have to keep working for three years after my demise in order to pay off my debts.

Exactly. By my calculations' date=' based on the average lifespan of the Australian male and my current income, I will have to keep working for three years after my demise in order to pay off my debts.[/quote']

1) that's what children are for

2) when did you say you were putting up the shed again? Your 4th year of undeath? :winkgrin:

Hi' date=' Bazza! What am I forgetting?[/quote']Nothing, just being friendly.

cf: "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread" (I saw you reading the thread ie in the neighbourhood, so I decided to say hi.)

It's an interesting thought that nuclear explosives and outgrowths of that may be critical to rescuing the Earth from collisions with asteroids and the like.
Hollywood will save us, they always do.

:P

It's an interesting thought that nuclear explosives and outgrowths of that may be critical to rescuing the Earth from collisions with asteroids and the like.

:nonp: Hopefully it won't stay that way, but if you're limited to existing technology, yeah, that's the only thing that can deal with the short lead times we will have when we have to use it.

Even that can't help us against the worst scanario, a long-period comet on a collision course. We won't have enough time to get a warhead out to it in time to do any good, unless you do something insane -- and not all that likely to work -- like use a Project Orion class engine as a launch vehicle. (Even so, that's not "existing" technology.)

If deep sky survey technology gets better and can monitor all 4 pi steradians adequately, then we can relax a bit in terms of countermeasures. (The long-period comets will always be rough, though.)

:nonp: Hopefully it won't stay that way, but if you're limited to existing technology, yeah, that's the only thing that can deal with the short lead times we will have when we have to use it.

Even that can't help us against the worst scanario, a long-period comet on a collision course. We won't have enough time to get a warhead out to it in time to do any good, unless you do something insane -- and not all that likely to work -- like use a Project Orion class engine as a launch vehicle. (Even so, that's not "existing" technology.)

If deep sky survey technology gets better and can monitor all 4 pi steradians adequately, then we can relax a bit in terms of countermeasures. (The long-period comets will always be rough, though.)

There was just a discussion I was watching that they might be well adequate for certain tasks. They didn't discuss comets specifically, more asteroids and lower-order bodies. They didn't mention, though as you say I've seen that before, how little of the sky is really monitored.

Re "long-period" comets, why do you mean there wouldn't be enough time, though? Is that a monitoring issue or something else?