Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Pascal is decent for teaching some programming concepts' date=' but other than that...[/quote']

I've done Othello and 3D Tic Tac Toe in Pascal. And I actually lost to the Othello program. I didn't know whether that made me smart or dumb.

Compiler was too slow for action games, though.

I think my most pointless exercise was doing Battleship in Visual Basic. That algorithm usually beats me, or it did, until I found a hole in it I hadn't anticipated. Making the game crash isn't the same as beating it, though.

Which weighs more: A pound of gold or a pound of feathers?

Actually, that has a real, unambiguous, valid answer. Gold is weighed in troy ounces and pounds, and feathers are weighed in avoirdupois ounces and pounds. The two are different, with avoirdupois pounds being larger.

So the answer is "feathers".

Actually, that has a real, unambiguous, valid answer. Gold is weighed in troy ounces and pounds, and feathers are weighed in avoirdupois ounces and pounds. The two are different, with avoirdupois pounds being larger.

So the answer is "feathers".

Yup. I countered your "there isn't a difference" question with a "there actually is a difference" question on purpose. :)

And if I'd asked "Which weighs more, an ounce of gold or an ounce of feathers?", the answer would've been gold. :D

How about "determine the wavefunction for an electron oscillating in a potential well described by a Dirac function.*" I actually got this one on an exam.

*A Dirac function is a "curve" of zero width and arbitrary depth, not that you wanted to know.

How about "determine the wavefunction for an electron oscillating in a potential well described by a Dirac function.*" I actually got this one on an exam.

*A Dirac function is a "curve" of zero width and arbitrary depth, not that you wanted to know.

So what's the answer? ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure I ever figured that one out. I know I missed it on the exam, and I was so pissed that such a farcical question was on the exam that I didn't pay much attention when it was explained in class, which is not like me. Usually if I don't know the answer to a test question I will bear any burden, pay any price, etc. to find out what the answer was supposed to be.

I had a take-home for my quantum final, and that had a sadistic question; what's the first-order perturbation to the energy levels in the infinite square well if the bottom is slanted rather than flat? The answer is zero, but after you spend 2 hours grinding through it and it all cancels out ... you don't believe it, and you do it again. And again.

Hmm. It takes me 12 minutes to "take" the draft of the test. That's slightly longer than I want, applying my Magic Fudge Factor to see if the students can finish the test in the allotted time.