Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Hmmm, so what else can we talk about here?

What do you guys think about flame wars? I think as long as they're only "somewhat" personal they can be okay on an occasional basis. They create a safety valve of sorts. It's just when they keep going or people are unaware of what they're saying. For example, when Super Squirrel interrupted a series of vociferous debates in some thread a couple weeks ago, it was "the right time." Any longer and it would have really been ugly. But where it was at that point? Not to be dismissive, but it seemed like people had released some tensions and life could go on with everyone able to look each other in the eye (so to speak). So it's good that SS stopped it when he did, but beforehand probably was unnecessary and perhaps even societally counterproductive.

It depends on my mood, really. From a spectator's perspective, I find flame wars to be entertaining. As a participant, it depends on whether I'm proceeding from a righteous or a antagonistic standpoint. Of course it also depends on what the other guy does.

Take the recent "you're an :uranus: " quibble with Agent X in the Democrats Want the Terrorists To Win thread. It was hysterical watching him prove my simple and privately expressed statement over and over again by not letting it die, posting private messages to the list, declaring himself above generally accepted standards of ettitquette, etc. Highly entertaining to read.

Some flame wars make no sense, though. And some just get downright nasty, to the point where some really innapropriate things get said. I wonder if after the smoke clears any of these individuals ever regret having said the things they said.

Flame wars serve three purposes:

1) To vent frustrations on matters we have no control over but wish we did.

2) For stupid trolls to feel like they have accomplished something in their life.

3) To entertain ourselves as we throw insults at trolls who don't care. This way we avoid saying insults at, say, a cop and getting thrown in jail. :D

Hmmm, so what else can we talk about here?

What do you guys think about flame wars?

Not to encourage him, but the flames I tend to like the best are joen00b's. Sure, they cross many a line, but for entertainment value, they tend to be well done.

Some of the other so called flames are generally just a couple worn insults that are need of severe retrofitting before being worthy of being called a flame.

Some flame wars make no sense' date=' though. And some just get downright nasty, to the point where some [i']really[/i] innapropriate things get said. I wonder if after the smoke clears any of these individuals ever regret having said the things they said.
I do wish more people would apologize more on here when they cross the line.

I've been mostly away from computers....

Worked up a rough on an interesting one, I thought, but forgot I couldn't output from Hero designer demo. I think I still have Hero creator with the 5th edition template, but... Haven't tried to use it. problem is, character is imo "cool" but... can he do anything? No logical movement powers, etc... Basically just a kind of brick with some interesting accessory powers.

Living statue...

I need to figure out how to Just get the Herocentral e-mails I want. I'm getting overloaded with them.

Zornwil, Gewing, Lemming:

How goes the character building? I have HD if you need it built for you. Also feel free to work on your characters in the forums of Hero Central. I have some threads going there now. You might also want to consider turning on email notification.

Mightybec stood me up... even after postponing our first meeting...

There I was all dolled up in my flight attendants garb, slathered in peanut butter...

But he stood me up.

Never again, fiend!!!

Sorry. It was sponge bath day at the rest home, so I went to go make some extra cash. Ninety year old men need love too. :D

I do wish more people would apologize more on here when they cross the line.

I have mixed feelings on that. Yes, sometimes apologies are CERTAINLY due. However, other times, especially for some of us pretty used to each other, we just shrug and be nice in other threads. For most people that works for me.