Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

That cat vs cactus film is painful to watch. That poor cat will have quills in his paws' date=' nose, mouth, etc. Ouch ! Good luck to the poor sucker who has to remove them.[/quote']

I thought cacti's barbs didn't normally detach from the plant? And that was a property primarily for a porcupine’s quills.

I thought cacti's barbs didn't normally detach from the plant? And that was a property primarily for a porcupine’s quills.

Depends on the cactus, but I don't think the cat was getting any stuck in it.

However, you can get just the tips stuck in you and they break off. That's annoying as all get out and the time it happened to me, a lot of soaking in epson salt.

She wasn't stuck by any of the spines, and they didn't embed. She was just reacting to the "Hey, it's sharp!" of the cactus, not recoiling in pain. If it actually caused her a significant amount of pain, she'd cut it out. We're talking about a cat so sensitive that she yowls in pain when she's gently lifted into a person's arms. I'm teaching her how to prepare herself for being picked up so it doesn't hurt.

(Hmm. If you leave the 'i' out of pileated' date=' you get 'pleated', which is quite a shift in meaning for one letter dropped.)[/quote']

Garage +b = Garbage. ;)

IME, the latter isn't much of a meaning shift at all: the similarity of words cleverly suggests the existing strong overlap in the phenomena. :straight:

(FWIW, I have no garage, so I keep my garbage elsewhere.)

What I can't figure out is how some folks we know (one of my son's friends) manage to grow a substantial amount of catnip in their garden. No moat, no electric fences, no swarms of attack dogs, nothing. And I've seen cats wandering around that neighborhood.