The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

to my various fellow insomniacs, you might find this interesting... I've been finding this has been matching my sleeping patterns anyway, so embracing it has reduced some of the anxiety that can become related to getting enough rest

The myth of the eight-hour sleep

I've seen that before. Think I might give it a try.

So the news of my engineer giving notice has reached upper levels where it has predictably ignited a s--tstorm of handwringing "what are we gonna do now?" At minimum a recent $5M contract award is at risk. It'd probably be a bad time for me to start in with the told-you-sos. But it's sooooo tempting.

What exactly did you tell them?

to my various fellow insomniacs, you might find this interesting... I've been finding this has been matching my sleeping patterns anyway, so embracing it has reduced some of the anxiety that can become related to getting enough rest

The myth of the eight-hour sleep

I read that recently and I believe the idea has merit, but I'm planning to try going back to camomile tea and some magnesium to see if it helps. I also need a new mattress.

I read that recently and I believe the idea has merit' date=' but I'm planning to try going back to camomile tea and some magnesium to see if it helps. I also need a new mattress.[/quote']

Magnesium? Do not mistake milk of magnesia for magnesium. You won't be able to range very far from the "neccessary".

Also, could someone build a fence between California and Arizona? Those people are crazy! Example:

AZ Senate bill contradicts Hippocratic Oath, encourages malpractice.

Magnesium? Do not mistake milk of magnesia for magnesium. You won't be able to range very far from the "neccessary".

Nah. I take a magnesium tablet. It's a muscle relaxer. Kills the jittery legs. Good for after a workout too.

Also, could someone build a fence between California and Arizona? Those people are crazy! Example:

I'm on it!

Sounds very alarming. Also sounds very biased. I don't trust those two in combination.

I'm sad. I can't discuss why, but it's a problem I don't know how to solve. It's a big problem. I don't think I can solve it. I think it needs to be solved by someone else. I fear it never will be. For this reason, I want to cry, but I can't. I feel so helpless and stuck and very sad.

Therapy--specifically, with a good therapist you have a rapport with--is an essential component to dealing with heavy-duty issues that have gotten to be overwhelming for you. If you believe you have an issue that seems to be a recurring one, regardless of circumstances, then it may be a good idea to explore medication as well. But start with the therapy, and if you see a psychiatrist find one that believes in talk therapy and not just med management.

For sleep apnea, try eliminating all caffeine from your diet, not showering right before bed, adding some lavender scent to your pillow, sleeping on your side or your stomach(and as you mentioned, weight loss can be very helpful). If you're still not sleeping right, one thing is for your husband to wake you when they hear you snoring and push you on to your side. You can try mini-naps and see if that helps.

For your big problem, besides talking to a therapist, try pulling out a notepad and writing down your thoughts about it. Is is something that can be broken down into smaller pieces, so you can tackle a little bit at a time? Is it something that has its roots in what's gone before? If so, exploring that in depth may give you some new insights into the problem. Best wishes, SatinKitty. I know depression just plain sucks, and sometimes you just have to endure it. But I think you should seek out a professional to talk to, if you're not doing so already.

Sleep Apnea is pretty serious. I had it for years getting worse sleep as time went on until I got together with my wife who noticed my lack of breathing, we had to sleep in separate rooms since I'd wake myself up very loudly. Having her explain to the doctors actually helped to get a sleep study and 2 weeks after the study I got operated on. One thing I didn't know at the time, was that surgical correction is only successful 50% of the time. (or at least back then). Luckily, it did clear up the problem. I still snore a little, but I don't wake up the house.

Losing weight, and muscle tone both help.

Thank you everyone. I do have a lavender scented lamb to cuddle. I bathe at night I rarely shower at night. I do have a Therapist. My next appointment is Tuesday. I have a stretching routine I must do twice a day. Unfortunately the problem is not fixable by me. All I can do is pray and hope. Things do seem better today. Journaling is a good idea. I just need to stop reading them, being embarrassed and destroying them. I will continue to count my blessings and not think this depression is the only thing. Peace.

Extremely minor, really negligible thing, but for some reason, it's sticking in my craw.

There is no such thing as 'more unique'. Unique means 'one of a kind'. It is a binary state, something is either unique or it is not. There can be no comparative for superlative forms for the adjective 'unique'.

Extremely minor, really negligible thing, but for some reason, it's sticking in my craw.

There is no such thing as 'more unique'. Unique means 'one of a kind'. It is a binary state, something is either unique or it is not. There can be no comparative for superlative forms for the adjective 'unique'.

I don't hear "more" as much as really unique, but it's more a pointing out that what is really unique is that it is way past the norm instead of just a little off.

Collie, I'm recruiting for the copy desk I run. :D

Alongside " unique", I loathe "best ever" or "first ever". A thing is best or it is not. A thing is first or it is not.

And then there's the people who use "over" when they mean "more than", and those who confuse "less than" with "fewer than".

I have to drive an hour up and an hour back to see my Parents and I just want to go back to bed.

Later- OddHat did all the driving. He didn't even complain even when we had to search for the car key which slipped out of his pocket.

Did I mention he is the best Husband in the World ?

A black cat with a naturally-occurring white smiley face on both sides is unique. A purple cat is REALLY unique. :P

Collie, I'm recruiting for the copy desk I run. :D

Alongside " unique", I loathe "best ever" or "first ever". A thing is best or it is not. A thing is first or it is not.

And then there's the people who use "over" when they mean "more than", and those who confuse "less than" with "fewer than".

English evolves. Sometimes rapidly. You can correct everyone else's usage once it becomes a dead language, like Latin or French. :eg:

English evolves. Sometimes rapidly. You can correct everyone else's usage once it becomes a dead language' date=' like Latin or French. :eg:[/quote']

True, but my job is to correct people's useage. I run a newspaper copy desk. (Don't judge my abilities by what I post here - this is my relaxation time.)

Part of the job is to update archaic useage, part of it to bring modern useage to an established standard. Somewhere in the middle there's a sweet spot.

True, but my job is to correct people's useage. I run a newspaper copy desk. (Don't judge my abilities by what I post here - this is my relaxation time.)

Part of the job is to update archaic useage, part of it to bring modern useage to an established standard. Somewhere in the middle there's a sweet spot.

While I understand your position, and while this forum might be a good place to gripe about it, keep in mind, this is still the internet. To a lot of folks, "You kids don't know how to speak proper English" is just a set-up for a joke that challenges them to find a punch-line that works. I hope the people whose copy you edit learn the difference between what they think they're writing and what they actually wrote.

Have some chillout rep.

While I understand your position' date=' and while this forum might be a good place to gripe about it, keep in mind, this is [i']still[/i] the internet. To a lot of folks, "You kids don't know how to speak proper English" is just a set-up for a joke that challenges them to find a punch-line that works. I hope the people whose copy you edit learn the difference between what they think they're writing and what they actually wrote.

Have some chillout rep.

Heh. I don't do it on the internet (except in dedicated writing forums, where correcting grammar and/or spelling is expected); I cut people the same slack as I cut myself. I frequently post in semi-darkness, via a phone or a laptop perched on my knee - the perfect breeding ground for my already bad typo habit.

And this *is* the cranky thread. Since I post under my own name, I limit what I am publicly cranky about even here. I won't bitch about anything personal. (To be perfectly honest, I don't have much that frustrates me anyway - and the things I posted are generally the bitching issues of any sub-editor.)

And cheers for the rep. :D