The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

A family acquaintance was murdered on Thursday. She owned my brother's dog' date=' and my Mom and Dad met and spoke with her an hour and a half before she was found. Main suspects: her son or her ex-husband.[/quote']

Holy crap! My condolences to any family and friends who aren't the perp. What's the status of the dog?

Holy crap! My condolences to any family and friends who aren't the perp. What's the status of the dog?
Thanks, Sarge. And the dog is alive, friendly, and stoopid. Basically, my brother is foster dad to the dog, Ozzy. He's a breeder, a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, and probably has one or two litters left in him. We'll see how the legal stuff plays out.

I just got probably the worst news I have ever gotten.

I was just talking to my dad on the phone. Though last year the doctors told him that he absolutely does NOT have Alzheimers, apparently every test since them indicates he does.

He has been afraid of it for years: his dad died of it/Congestive heart failure.

This explains a few things in his actions...

Damnit.

I can't even have a good ranting crying screaming breakdown. I am at work, and have some stuff still to do.

Then when I go home, I don't want to scare Tavish.

I want to do one of those comic book screams that shatters every window in town.

Your wife must be in mourning.

We all are. The team at Paragon Studios was informed, without any other warning, Friday afternoon. They let the players know about 15 minutes later.

I'd decided 2-3 years ago that I was never again doing any new business with NCSoft, due to other decisions on their part. Many of us knew they were trying to strangle CoH, so that they could let it go and say "not our fault". Apparently, since that failed, they gave in and axed it with the blunt side. Since they've never cared about their North American and European players, they really have nothing to lose, from their perspective.

I suppose it's "nice" to know I made the right decision.

We all are. The team at Paragon Studios was informed, without any other warning, Friday afternoon. They let the players know about 15 minutes later.

I'd decided 2-3 years ago that I was never again doing any new business with NCSoft, due to other decisions on their part. Many of us knew they were trying to strangle CoH, so that they could let it go and say "not our fault". Apparently, since that failed, they gave in and axed it with the blunt side. Since they've never cared about their North American and European players, they really have nothing to lose, from their perspective.

I suppose it's "nice" to know I made the right decision.

Regardless of how much they do or don't care about a certain block of players, why on Earth would any business try to close down something that is successful? I mean, isn't making money the whole point of being in business? Or has CoH not been a money maker?

Though I will add separately that my little trevails of late are pretty superficial, all things considered.

Gewing, L. Marcus, you have my heartfelt sympathies.

Agreed. Considering the some stuff I've seen on this board recently, nothing I'm enduring could possibly touch that level of "cranky".

My inadequate sympathies to all.

Regardless of how much they do or don't care about a certain block of players' date=' why on Earth would any business try to close down something that is successful? I mean, isn't making money the whole point of being in business? Or has CoH not been a money maker?[/quote']

There is a great deal of speculation, but that's all it is. As far as anyone (including Paragon) knew, the game was quite profitable. But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, such decisions don't arise solely from a money-making angle.

Regardless of how much they do or don't care about a certain block of players' date=' why on Earth would any business try to close down something that is successful? I mean, isn't making money the whole point of being in business? Or has CoH not been a money maker?[/quote']

On the scale of corporate-stupidity-that-I-have-experienced-firsthand, this would not even register. One explanation could be that they decided to shut down a profitable department to give its resources to another, failing, one. Or it could be a tax dodge. Or someone at Paragon hurt the feelings of someone at NCSoft. Or it could be any of a zillion reasons that make even less sense.

One explanation could be that they decided to shut down a profitable department to give its resources to another' date=' failing, one.[/quote']

Such as Aion, their end-game grind MMO that's still popular (apparently) back home in Korea, but has failed utterly in N. America. Not sure how it's doing in Europe, these days. But yes, this and support for (new release) Guild Wars 2 seem to be the most likely reasons. Naturally, they won't actually come out and SAY that, but it fits the timing rather neatly.

Such as Aion' date=' their end-game grind MMO that's still popular (apparently) back home in Korea, but has failed utterly in N. America. Not sure how it's doing in Europe, these days. But yes, this and support for (new release) Guild Wars 2 seem to be the most likely reasons. Naturally, they won't actually come out and SAY that, but it fits the timing rather neatly.[/quote']

There's only so many staff to go around, and Guild Wars 2 looks to be a real hit. We could hire more staff, but --HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

What would you do if you were a Father woken from a sound sleep by your Son trying to gouge your eyes out ? Just a few days after a pleasant outdoor trip with your Father and Brothers ?

My Dear Mentor's Son, the Victim, managed to get to his car and drive in his underwear with bleeding eyes to get the police.

Despite being handcuffed, Maced and Tazered, the Psycho managed to break a Policeman's hand.

After more than a week in the eye hospital and losing sight in one eye and they're not sure about the other one, the Victim was taken to an apartment in the City near a relative's business. There was a Rap concert going on and they couldn't get in. When they finally did, the music was so loud the apartment shook, despite being on the 22nd floor. This went on for days. I don't know where the Victim is now.

This Psycho has been hell on the family since he was a tiny little boy. He started on the booze and drugs very young and has several times attempted suicide. His Grandma wishes to God he had succeeded.

I will pray for this Grandpa I care about, his Son, the Victim and the entire family. I hope the Psycho Grandson will finally be locked up permanently In Supermax.

What would you do if you were a Father woken from a sound sleep by your Son trying to gouge your eyes out ? Just a few days after a pleasant outdoor trip with your Father and Brothers ?

My Dear Mentor's Son, the Victim, managed to get to his car and drive in his underwear with bleeding eyes to get the police.

Despite being handcuffed, Maced and Tazered, the Psycho managed to break a Policeman's hand.

After more than a week in the eye hospital and losing sight in one eye and they're not sure about the other one, the Victim was taken to an apartment in the City near a relative's business. There was a Rap concert going on and they couldn't get in. When they finally did, the music was so loud the apartment shook, despite being on the 22nd floor. This went on for days. I don't know where the Victim is now.

This Psycho has been hell on the family since he was a tiny little boy. He started on the booze and drugs very young and has several times attempted suicide. His Grandma wishes to God he had succeeded.

I will pray for this Grandpa I care about, his Son, the Victim and the entire family. I hope the Psycho Grandson will finally be locked up permanently In Supermax.

That sounds like a nightmare. My sympathies to all affected :(

I hope and pray everyone involved gets all the help they need.