The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Now I have to call three people and tell them they didn't get the job. I've been putting this off for a week.

At least you're willing to call them, for which I give you kuddos. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the worst part about job interviews is when they make you call them to find out that you didn't get the damn job!

Yeah. Well, it went okay even though they all picked up the phone (I was hoping to talk to answering machines for once). I'm starting to see why middle management attracts people with no empathy or soul.

But you know, the really nice lady who showed up 45 minutes early for her interview and then explained it by saying she "can't keep track of the time"? Okay, well, let's go through the motions of your interview anyway...

At least you're willing to call them' date=' for which I give you kuddos. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the worst part about job interviews is when they make [b']you[/b] call them to find out that you didn't get the damn job!

Usually, if I don't hear from them, I know I didn't get the job. Fortunately, I called my current work. It turns out they got my phone number wrong (or I gave them the old one by mistake). For some strange reason, I decided to see if I got the job. They said I was scheduled to start that day.

Usually' date=' if I don't hear from them, I know I didn't get the job. Fortunately, I called my current work. It turns out they got my phone number wrong (or I gave them the old one by mistake). For some strange reason, I decided to see if I got the job. They said I was scheduled to start that day.[/quote']

But that's the thing... exactly just how long is the "I didn't hear from them" period? A week? Two weeks? One company I was able to get a 2nd interview with told me 3 weeks afterwards that they were getting ready to hold 3rd interviews. Some companies go for rapid turn-around on hiring, others can drag it out for a month or more. Its the not knowing, and wondering if I am wasting my time in continuing my job search (a full time job in and of itself) that kills me.

Oh... and congrats on getting that job :)

Yeah. Well, it went okay even though they all picked up the phone (I was hoping to talk to answering machines for once). I'm starting to see why middle management attracts people with no empathy or soul.

But you know, the really nice lady who showed up 45 minutes early for her interview and then explained it by saying she "can't keep track of the time"? Okay, well, let's go through the motions of your interview anyway...

Dude... these people are all unemployed. Of course they're going to be home when the phone rings!

But that's the thing... exactly just how long is the "I didn't hear from them" period? A week? Two weeks? One company I was able to get a 2nd interview with told me 3 weeks afterwards that they were getting ready to hold 3rd interviews. Some companies go for rapid turn-around on hiring' date=' others can drag it out for a month or more. Its the not knowing, and wondering if I am wasting my time in continuing my job search (a full time job in and of itself) that kills me.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm guilty of this. About a month and a half elapsed between posting the ad and the actual hire. About two weeks elapsed between interview series, and then I stalled for a week before calling the non-hires because I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Part of this is because of the distance and time difference involved, since I work pretty far from Albuquerque where the job is. And part of it is that I'm slammed (which is why we're hiring someone else to begin with). But I have to admit that part of it is just that I put it off.

Thanks for the well wishes Klytus. Actually, I got that job 5 years ago (or will be 5 years in November). I'm surprised I haven't been fired yet, considering all the crap I pull.

As for the people looking for a job, they may also be doing temp jobs through an agency. They just want permanent work.

Sorry to hear that' date=' hope it's working out?[/quote']

Last I heard he had been released but had to be readmitted. There was an abcess or something. Thanks for asking.

On a lighter note, a younger student asked me if I believed in Santa Claus. I told her we went to college together. :)

Well, I finally had a weekend at Ren Faire... and a good one. The downside: I only got 3 hours of sleep last night, plus it hurts me to walk, so I had to stay home. This, in turn, has made it necessasry for me to postpone a trip I had planned this weekend. I also appear to have lost my prescription sunglasses.

I am so sick of double-edged swords.

I was horrified this weekend to see and hear Bush and Kerry ads all over tv and the radio. Arrrrggghhh!!! We've lost our immunity! And they're not even meant for me, they're for New Hampshire! Bad campaigns! Go buy ads on WMUR-Manchester, NH and leave the Boston stations alone!