New powers help

Darren Watts

Hey all! Thought I'd throw this out to the combined brainpower of Herodom Assembled. I'm working on a villain who can change the size of inanimate objects as her primary power. She primarily uses it to shrink down a bunch of useful items (like rocket launchers and jetcars) to carry in her pockets, but I'm looking for other cool incidental applications of the same concept she can whip out to surprise the PCs. (The base power is a pretty sizable Transform, which heals back rapidly.) I've already got an Entangle based on shrinking a target's clothes or uniform, binding them up, and a couple of other similar nuisance attacks. What can you guys give me? Many thanks in advance- if I use your power you'll be credited, of course. dw

Re: New powers help

Well if the character can grow things as well as shrink them, then here are some suggestions:

Force Wall: That pebble at my feet is now a boulder I can hide behind

Drain vs. Attacks: That bastard sword of yours would hurt Mr. Sword, except now it's the size of a butter knife

Shrinking, usable on others: Pretty self explanatory I think

In the Avengers West Coast comic, Henry Pym used a gadget pool of items he had shrunken down in his pockets, including such items as a shield, his 'Rover' vehicle and other useful items. Probably treated as a VPP of some sort.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head...

We were talking about this the otherday. First it is in some ways a Teleport. Because if a customer is sitting over Drainage Grate or something with larger than normal holes, you are talking about relocating them.

It is a Running Drain if used on tires of a vehicle.

It could be considered an Indirect Knockback Only attack if you shrunk their shoes/boots/etc...

Does it have to affect a whole item or can she affect parts like screws. Because then you have a ton of small things you can do. For example, she could shrink the bolts of a fire hydrant to make it explode or shrink screws to take apart a device. Imagine if she was on a Skyscraper construction and shrunk the bolts holding the beams in place.

I love it. The Pocket Arsenal!

Reach into one pocket and produce a thousand assault rifles.

"What's that for?"

Reach into hte other pocket and produce a thousand shrunken agents.

Shrinking/constricting the blood vessels?

Shrinking any object is great for having it expand and knock the target over when it grows at their feet.

Shrunken heads! Well, okay, not shrunken heads. Obviously I have no ideas.

An old favorite of mine is to carry a pebble in one's pocket, throw it at a target, and have it grow to boulder-size in mid-air. (For humor value, substitute an anvil, safe, or grand piano.)

I'm trying to decide what might happen if the character happened past a bakery with a lemon merangue pie on the shelf.... :eg:

Oh, and shrinking an opponent's clothing is worth not only an Entangle, but (if taken far enough) the embarrassment value as well...

Like Red Eagle, this reminds me of some things that Hank Pym has done in the past. Personally, I would make most of the items IAF and just say it's a SFX that makes it shrink.

As far as other abilities ...

- I think that using the Shrink Ray rules in G&G would be a neat application

for an attack against people.

- How about a Change Environment, like shrinking a bridge or a door?

- A bunch of summons would be really cool ... like pre-shrunk bots or

creatures (like ants, bees, etc) that she enlarges to use.

- How about a RKA that's based on shrinking or enlarging something vital

inside a target?

- Area of Effect attacks that start as a pebble and become a boulder mid

throw.

- Change Environment to turn rain or hail into a flood or meteors ;)

- Shrink-based Point Defense field ... basically Missle Deflection that uses

shrinking bullets to such a small size they'll only do minor damage.

- Tunneling based on shrinking walls in front of her or as an attack against a

floor someone's standing on.

Hope it helps ... if I think of more, I'll let ya know :)

If the Power has the Trigger Advantage, there are lots of tricks and traps you could use it for: set the support struts of a bridge to shrink as soon as pursuers step on it; shrink a car or truck to the size of a pebble, then toss it into a group of opponents like a grenade when it suddenly expands.

Does the object shrunk have to be a discreet item, or can it be X amount of contiguous matter? If the latter, lots of other possibilities arise: breaking through a wall or door by shrinking part of it until it bursts, or creating a chasm in a road to block passage.

Does it have to be solid matter, or can it be liquids or gasses too? I'm thinking of the effects of explosive decompression if you suddenly shrink the air surrounding an opponent, not to mention the deafening thunderclap when the air rushes back in to fill the resultant vacuum.

Oh' date=' and shrinking an opponent's clothing is worth not only an Entangle, but (if taken far enough) the embarrassment value as well...[/quote']

Too true. Better yet, instead of shrinking the costume, make it grow. All the em-bare-ass-ment for the targeted hero, and anyone standing next to him/her is entangled in the flood of fabric folds as well!

Entangles against this character would be pretty useless, too. Anything trapping her would get big enough she could just slip right out. "Why, Nightduck, your duck-cuffs just slipped right off! Oops, your duck-utility-belt, too! Toodles!"

Nice.

An old favorite of mine is to carry a pebble in one's pocket' date=' throw it at a target, and have it grow to boulder-size in mid-air. (For humor value, substitute an anvil, safe, or grand piano.)[/quote']

Pretty much what I was thinking. Either a EB or EB, one-hex AoE (versus PD). Probably uses recoverable charges, based on the fact that the character has to prep items in advance. Limited range as well, since you can't throw a pebble as far as you can shoot a gun.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Either a EB or EB' date=' one-hex AoE (versus PD). Probably uses recoverable charges, based on the fact that the character has to prep items in advance. Limited range as well, since you can't throw a pebble as far as you can shoot a gun.[/quote'] I think it would use Range Based On Strength.

Instead of a huge flying base of operations, she could shrink it down to the size that could fit in a large moving van. Or perhaps, small enough to place in an envelope and Fed-Ex to the next location.

"Fed-Ex, when it absolutely, positively has to get there before it returns to its normal size of a 20 story skyscraper."

- Change Environment to turn rain or hail into a flood or meteors ;)

I think this would be more like an EB, Indirect, with either OIF (weather of opportunity) or Limited Power (must be in storm).

The butter smear, that's a good Change Environment (subtracts from DEX rolls).

Depending on how powerful (or how much fine control) the character has, either a Darkness field or a Change Environment that causes penalties to sight PER rolls -- SFX, all the dust/pollen/other particulates in the air got a lot bigger. Of course, she would have to keep pumping END into the power as the enlarged crud fell to the ground. And if she ever gets captured, she can use it as a "community service" power by targetting smog and letting the street sweepers clean it up :) .

of course depending on the age of the group and amount of humor you want in the campaign she could so enlarge or shrink body parts and not just for knocking out.

"My goodness ms. Victory looks like you just can't get through that doorway forward or sideways. I'd love to stick around but I really must spend my money. Tootles"

The dust mote power could also be an Entangle, Blocks Sight, when the motes become big enough to form a wall around the target.

Tunneling, Only Through Walls. Possibly add UAA and Range to this to allow the character to zap walls at a distance.

Energy Blast, Variable Special Effect, for Pebble To Boulder, growing something rapidly enough to just smack someone, growing the pebble in the targets shoe, growing a dust mote big enough to just fall on the target, destroying walls by shrinking the bricks (if the Tunneling is no good) and a variety of other effects.

The Entangle (or Telekinesis) for shrinking the target's clothes could come with an Instant Change Transform, Triggered when the Entangle is broken out of.

The Entangle could also be more effective against targets with Powered Armor or the like.

Pockets Full Of Weapons: VPP 30pt's (total Cost: 43pt's)

[half phase +1/2,Power check +0,Only technological effects-1/4,Change only at base -1/2]

(11)EC- Size Manipulation Powers (40pt powers)

[Concentration 1/2DCV -1/4,Power check -1/2]

(34)Size Alteration: 3d6 major Tranformation(4 End)

(Only Enlarge Or shrink Parts of Targets)

[Partial Transformation +1/2,Half Endurance +1/4]

(34)Giant Size:Growth 9Levels (4 End)

[usable Against Others+1/2,Half Endurance +1/4]

(39)Small as a bug:Shrink 5Levels (5 End)

[usable against others +1/2,Half Endurance +1/4]

(if I did shrink right, Total cost: 118)

Together Total Cost: 161