Question: Differences between Dark Champs 4th and 5th?

The_Hero

Re: Question: Differences between Dark Champs 4th and 5th?

4th was the book the Old Guard wanted him to do, and 5th is the book he wanted to do :winkgrin:

From a quick runthrough of the playtest, I'd say 5th covers a wider range than 4th. More to come on the playtest board once I get a chance to really read it.

That's not a bad way to put it, Koshka. ;)

Basically, the differences are these:

1. The new DC is a genre book for modern-day action-adventure in all its many forms, ranging from costumed vigilante crimefighters, to spies, soldiers, cops, and so on. I was required to make the first one hew to nothing but really low-level superhumans and costumed crimefighters. (I talk a good bit about this in the Intro to the new DC.)

2. The old DC was the first book I ever wrote. I think it holds up pretty well for all that, but it shows its age. This one is written with 11 years of writing and game design experience.

3. The new DC is going to be the foundation for an entire product lined designed to complement it. We know in advance what we want to do withthe line, where we want it to go. The old one was such a success that the company tried to sort of create a line around it after the fact, but with no planning or definition of what "Dark Champions" was supposed to be.

That's not a bad way to put it, Koshka. ;)

2. The old DC was the first book I ever wrote. I think it holds up pretty well for all that, but it shows its age. This one is written with 11 years of writing and game design experience.

Amazing! This was the best written of the 4th Ed. stuff (IMHO). From then on if a Hero book had Steve Long in the credits it bacame a must buy. I knew it would be good.

Amazing! This was the best written of the 4th Ed. stuff (IMHO). From then on if a Hero book had Steve Long in the credits it bacame a must buy. I knew it would be good.

Not to suck up to current ownership, but I second that. The holy trinity of HERO authors under the old guard were Allston, Bennie and Long.

I am looking forward to the new DC. I was never a fan of dark street level supers, but I love to run action adventure stuff in the Die Hard/Lethal Weapon mode- so the new book is going to be much more up my ally than the old one.

Seconded!

I'm currently reading my new copy of The Turakian Age, and it is solid gold. Anything by Mr. Long is worth buying, sight unseen.

After Fantasy HERO, DC is the book I was most waiting for.

I didnt like the narrow focus of the DC line under 4th; there was clearly so much more to do with the concept. Im glad to hear that the 5th version will be broader. :D

Guest WhammeWhamme

" "

• 5 weeks later...

My last group had great fun with the DC material, so I can't wait to see what happens in this newest version.

You can never have too much fun taking on government conspiracies, secret cabals, and things that go bump in the night.

I am going to use it to see how many points all of my free equipment would be worth if our GM had made us pay for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my copy, and after a very dangerous trip home (It was very hard to drive and read at the same time, but I couldn't stop myself) I was totally enthralled until my body collapsed from lack of sleep. Now that I regained my composure, I can say that the book surpassed all my expectation. All I'm waiting for now.... C A R D S H A R K.... :sneaky:

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I found a copy of Heroic Adventures vol.2 [six Adventures for use with DC: Heroes of Vengeance].

Can anyone share some history (or context) of this book? It's from 1996, so I'm guessing it's 3rd or 4th edition, I'm not sure which.

What was the Heroes of Vengeance mention about? A book series?

It's a cool book (co-written by S. Long). I'm really glad I got it & look forward to using materials/ideas from it :)

That would be 4th Ed.

Heroes of Vengeance was the subtitle for 4th Ed Dark Champions. I'm not familiar with the actual book in question, though, as I was a poor college student at that time, and Hero was putting out a lot of material, so I couldn't get everything. :weep:

That would be 4th Ed.

Heroes of Vengeance was the subtitle for 4th Ed Dark Champions. I'm not familiar with the actual book in question, though, as I was a poor college student at that time, and Hero was putting out a lot of material, so I couldn't get everything. :weep:

Thanks Captain O. :cool:

Yesterday I found a copy of Heroic Adventures vol.2 [six Adventures for use with DC: Heroes of Vengeance].

Can anyone share some history (or context) of this book?

I can share that I wrote the adventure titled (IIRC) The Thing In Radley Manor. Definitely something of a departure from the typical DC adventure, but I had fun with it. Most of the little kids are named, directly or indirectly, for friends I had at the time. :bmk:

I can share that I wrote the adventure titled (IIRC) The Thing In Radley Manor. Definitely something of a departure from the typical DC adventure' date=' but I had fun with it. Most of the little kids are named, directly or indirectly, for friends I had at the time. :bmk:[/quote']

Yes, I noticed yours is the lead-off adventure :)

After getting time to look (more thoroughly) through it, I noticed it's listing as/of 4th edition books in the back.

This book looks to be a lot of fun!