Name My Character

ZenStorm

I'm making a character who's alter-ego is a fantasy/sci-fi writer who's worked mainly in writing novels and short-stories for publishers of open-ended fantasy continuities. He's recently published his first Best Seller, it's a story and a setting of his own.

His heroic identity is a 7 to 9 ft. tall (haven't decided that yet either) humanoid Dragon. He is the heir to a long lineage of protectors who bear the mark of the dragon upon their souls.

The story goes: In the time before time, in the age of myths and legends, there were great wars being fought between gods, mythic beasts and mighty wizards (etc)... to protect the mortal flock from the collateral effects of these wars, the gods of light created a number of bloodlines among their mortal subjects, each bearing an arcane mark. Each of these lines, in bearing it's respective mark, embodied the aspects and major attributes of one of the great beasts of legend. (There will probably be a set number of these, I haven't decided yet.) There was a lineage of those who bore the mark of the Griffin, the mark of the Unicorn, the Saytr, the Manticore, the Pegasus, the Siren, the Ogre, etc. etc. My character's line was that that bore the mark of the Dragon. In heroic form, each of these lineage's became a human/beastial hybrid. In the case of my character, he's a large humanoid with the wings, scales, claws, head, tail and breath of a dragon. This is not neccessarily the standard form for each of the lines. The Unicorn, for example assumes a more centauroid appearance.

He lives and writes in Boston, Mass. By night, when not writing, he soars amidst the city's canyons of glass and steel, living up to the burning desire in his heart, that which was placed upon his blood, so many millenia ago when the gods of light crafted his family, namely the desire to watch-over the mortal men, women and children who dwell within his domain.

Aside from the obvious...

like..

"The Dragon"

"The Dragonman"

"The Dragonoid"

...can anyone suggest some cool names that the local media may have come up with to refer to these 'strange sightings of the winged vigilante?'

Thanks in advance.

Re: Name My Character

...can anyone suggest some cool names that the local media may have come up with to refer to these 'strange sightings of the winged vigilante?'

Eww... relying on the media for names will usually give you a dumb name. Like "Doc Ock", for example. :)

Dragon Man sounds likely, unfortunately.

For better names, go with latinised versions: Draco, Draconis, Draconius, Draconian etc; or with mythological dragon names - but unfortunately most dragons in "western" cultures are villainous. You could also go with names derived from celestial objects - comets, stars, etc.

To repeat myself: PCs shouldn't rely on the media for names, unless they want dumb names! :)

Guest bblackmoor

(Weird: I thought I'd already replied to this.)

Some suggestions:

Reptoid

Pterax

Nightglider

Scimitar

Justice Serpent

Acceleraptor

Moonrazor

Emerald Guardian

Vermithrax

My player refused to give his PC, a 12 year old samurai, a super hero name, I warned him that the press would name him if he did not. He actually wound up liking "Kid Ninja"...

Lesson: if the Press names you they get something wrong. So here are some "Press Names"

The Green Gargoyle

Pteradactyl-Man

Drake-ula

Dragon Queen

Flying Gator

Of course if this is in Boston, there is only one name for him...

The Green Monster

juts call him BOB.

huge hulking dragon guy talks to the press after his first public fight "what shall we call you?" "oh just call me bob"

alternitivly

fire heart

talon

trogdor the burninator

I really like bob.

but here are some others to consider too:

HR Puff'n'Smack

Godzookie

Zornwilla

:doi:

Green Gargoyle? I kinda like that one.

Chimera is a very different kind of monster, though... Basilisk might work better...

Earthwyrm is a word I've been trying to find a use for, because I think it's funny.

Bob is good--though, George would bring up images of St. George, who fought a dragon.

Serpent? Reptile? I dunno, I can't think of anything good. Sorry. (%)