Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

My home computer got virus-ized last night. Really nasty one too -- tore through my anti-virus like it wasn't even there. It was one of those "Running Scan Now! OMG your computer's been infected! Click HERE to get full protection!" things. It even changed my desktop background to a big red flashing warning. Knocked down my regular AV ("Windows cannot start SpySweeper.exe -- this program has been determined to be a virus/trojan. Click HERE to get full protection!").

Managed to reboot in safe mode, restored to a backup I took about a month and a half ago, and scanned the HD. Virus-scan didn't detect anything, but I fear it's still there, hiding on my hard drive, lurking and waiting. :(

we had this at work just a few weeks ago. AV won't stop it because, technically, it's not a virus: It's a malware attack. I think AVAST has a good, free anti-malware utility, and there are a couple others. Fortunately, at work we had another non-infected computer to help get the solution. That one is very, very annoying.

we had this at work just a few weeks ago. AV won't stop it because' date=' technically, it's not a virus: It's a malware attack. I think AVAST has a good, free anti-malware utility, and there are a couple others. Fortunately, at work we had another non-infected computer to help get the solution. That one is very, very annoying.[/quote']

MalwareBytes is also a good utility.

And if yo still fear the malware lurking and waiting, download a copy of Darik's Boot & Nuke. Run that puppy on your hard drive, and then restore your backup. The only way the malware will return is if it was on your backup, and/or you manage to get re-infected.

My home computer got virus-ized last night. Really nasty one too -- tore through my anti-virus like it wasn't even there. It was one of those "Running Scan Now! OMG your computer's been infected! Click HERE to get full protection!" things. It even changed my desktop background to a big red flashing warning. Knocked down my regular AV ("Windows cannot start SpySweeper.exe -- this program has been determined to be a virus/trojan. Click HERE to get full protection!").

Managed to reboot in safe mode, restored to a backup I took about a month and a half ago, and scanned the HD. Virus-scan didn't detect anything, but I fear it's still there, hiding on my hard drive, lurking and waiting. :(

Nuke it from orbit (format), it's the only way to be sure. And to be extra-sure, there needs to be a power cycle between the formatting and the installing of the OS -- I've heard that some bugs can 'hide' in ram and reinfect the newly formatted drive.

Good luck! I've been very happy with Norton 360, and have run across several of those fake infection scan websites. Regardless of the website, I never trust the "click ok to leave the site" popups if I try to navigate away or close the browser. When I get such a popup, I *kill* my browser via Task Manager. Who knows what it will do when you give it permission by clicking "ok"?

For a few months now I've had a hard time repping people because of the spread-around limitation. Which is odd' date=' because I think I rep a lot of different people.[/quote']

Which is why I repeatedly use the Rep Thread so I can remember who I got. It is sometimes surprising having to find that you repped someone too recently

Every time I think I'm done with this chapter, I come up with another idea to add into it. :straight:

I think for sure I'm done now. I only need to stat up a master vampire, an alien preying mantis, a Frankenstein's monster, a fearless explorer, and a techno-mage. Only. :nonp:

...Except for the fearless explorer, that sounds like the first and second seasons of Buffy