Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

The first Star Trek movie...

Uhm. As much as that movie sucked, the odds are very good that without it, we wouldn't have had the later movies. Or the later series, for that matter. And while some of them (movies and series) have been real stinkers, others have been very good.

So I think ST:TMP must be considered part of the "price of doing business" in order to get the later good stuff...

Uhm. As much as that movie sucked' date=' the odds are [i']very[/i] good that without it, we wouldn't have had the later movies. Or the later series, for that matter. And while some of them (movies and series) have been real stinkers, others have been very good.

So I think ST:TMP must be considered part of the "price of doing business" in order to get the later good stuff...

I actually liked ST:TMP. But then again I went into it expecting it to be a 2 hour long episode, rather than something more movie like. That and I am notoriously easy to entertain. :)

Uhm. As much as that movie sucked' date=' the odds are [i']very[/i] good that without it, we wouldn't have had the later movies. Or the later series, for that matter. And while some of them (movies and series) have been real stinkers, others have been very good.

Agreed.

Trebuchet and I were actually in a horrible Champions game seventeen or so years ago involving our long running superhero PCs for which we refused to accept XP and thereater referred to the incident as our coincidentally shared nightmare. We had no qualms with contimuing the campaign timeline before and after the dreaded affair, but mere skipped over the offending game.:D

I actually liked ST:TMP. But then again I went into it expecting it to be a 2 hour long episode' date=' rather than something more movie like. That and I am notoriously easy to entertain. :)[/quote']

I must disagree. As one friend of ours put it, the only reason the crew of the Enterprise was around was to have someone know morse code. The movie should have been called "Veejer Pwns the Federation.";)

I think the answer is no.

"When an artist's checks are returned uncashed, he is presumed dead."

-- Phil Foglio

Wormy first appeared in issue 9 of Dragon magazine. The cartoon was extremely popular and the artist seemed to have some carte blanche with the magazine's editorial staff. One month his cartoon would be 1 page long. The next month it would be four pages long. The comic ended abruptly mid-story in issue 132 with a troll trying to free his salamander friend from a bureaucratic police station.

There have been several attempts to secure the rights to produce a compilation of Wormy strips but the strip's author, Dave Trampier, dropped off the face of the earth and publishers have been unable to acquire rights, let alone make contact with him. It appears TSR and Dragon magazine either do not know the fate of Trampier or are extremely tight lipped.

The seeds of his disappearance may be hinted at in the strip itself. Wormy featured "evil" D&D monsters acting in kindly human ways and the humans tended to be the bad guys. Ogres and Trolls war gamed. Wormy the dragon was a pool-playing, cigar-smoking lay about. Occasionally violence would erupt but Trampier did not hold back. There was blood and terror. Trampier never depicted violence in a noble or heroic fashion. Characters ran for their lives. The subtext of Wormy was really an anti-gaming message. Wormy subtly screamed at its readers "quit fantasizing and experience real life".

Some claim the artist is dead and buried in Philly. It's been confirmed, however, via his family that Trampier is still alive. His whereabouts are utterly unknown, even by his brother-in-law (and fellow Dragon contributor) Tom Wham. Wham states he's not talked to his brother-in-law since 1982. He thinks Trampier lives in Illinois... "somewhere". There's a rumor in comic circles that he's living out of his car in Canada. TSR will only make vague statements that point to a possible falling out between Trampier and magazine staff. Art Director Roger Raupp stated Trampier's strip simply ended because "He didn't turn in any art." An unnamed TSR staffer was quoted as saying "I will never work with him again." Dragon magazine editor Kim Mohan has stated checks for Trampier's final cartoons were returned unopened.

There's a Wormy archive here, although TSR routinely enforces its copyrights on the net and this might not last long. Other Wormy archives have not.

-- Karl Mamer

I had COMPLETELY forgotten that strip. Man that is sad. It was great.

Yeah, that movie wasn't all that good . . . But it was as nothing compared to the unalloyed, rampaging suckfest that was BE!

I've got a friend who has the enviable knack of sleeping throught the bad parts of any movie - he fell asleep during the intro, woke up in time for the credits.

Guest George Kirby

I thought it wasn't that bad at all' date=' but in some part this is where panning can help a movie - walking in with really bad expectations can make a lot of movies seem pretty darn good![/quote']

One of my cousins (a man of your acquaintance, as it turns out) holds that if you lower your expectations far enough, there are no bad movies. I hold that there are limits to how far you can do this. Flash Gordon was bad, but I had fun with it because I walked in expecting a cheese-fest. Alien 3, on the other hand...

One of my cousins (a man of your acquaintance' date=' as it turns out) holds that if you lower your expectations far enough, there are no bad movies. I hold that there are limits to how far you can do this. [i']Flash Gordon[/i] was bad, but I had fun with it because I walked in expecting a cheese-fest. Alien 3, on the other hand...

A man of my acquaintance?? Do tell or PM if more appropriate -

Guest George Kirby

I was discussing Babylon 5 with a friend just a couple of minutes ago and he pointed out something that had utterly passed me by: the first of the heroes (and he said he was using that word intentionally to mean "one of the heroic, noble characters in this series", rather than just meaning "the good guys") to confront Mr. Morden, to stand up to and utterly reject the man's manipulation was Vir Cotto.

Nebbishy, forgettable, never-give-him-another-thought Vir Cotto.

I knew there was a reason I loved that character...

I was discussing Babylon 5 with a friend just a couple of minutes ago and he pointed out something that had utterly passed me by: the first of the heroes (and he said he was using that word intentionally to mean "one of the heroic, noble characters in this series", rather than just meaning "the good guys") to confront Mr. Morden, to stand up to and utterly reject the man's manipulation was Vir Cotto.

Nebbishy, forgettable, never-give-him-another-thought Vir Cotto.

I knew there was a reason I loved that character...

Well, at least he turned out all right.

JG

Well, at least he turned out all right.

JG

"What do I want, Mr. Morden?

I want to see your head on a pike as a warning to then next thousand generations that some favors cary too high a cost.

And when I see it there, I'll Wave. Like this."

Or something like that. :D:eg:

Guest George Kirby

"What do I want, Mr. Morden?

I want to see your head on a pike as a warning to then next thousand generations that some favors cary too high a cost.

And when I see it there, I'll Wave. Like this."

Or something like that. :D:eg:

"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike – as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave . . . like this.

Can your associates arrange this for me, Mr. Morden?"

That's the scene.