Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Ah... you're from California. What would you know?

Hey, now. I know how to eat my grits, son. My mom and extended family are Alabama folk from generations way back. My pa is likewise from 'bama, but his kin are mostly Mississippi folk. I've more Southern culture in me than most people south of the Mason-Dixon.

Salt, pepper, butter--and they better not be lumpy grits, or even close to hard; creamy is best, but soupy will do--lay two 'over easy' eggs over the top, mulch to taste. Bacon and Jimmy Dean sausage on the side, sop up the whole mess with white toast darn-near soggy with more butter.

That's how ya eat grits where my kinfolk come from.

I know this next bit is not from the "thread for random musings", but I didn't want to further derail Samuraiko & John T's thread, so...

Hey! You're ruining them by putting sugar in them! Grits are best when they've got just a bit of butter and a dash of pepper mixed in...and even then, they should be thick enough you could practically eat them with a fork...

Grits are just another reason to go on an Atkins like diet. If it works then you lose weight and don't have eat the nasty stuff.

If it is really unhealthy and you die at least you still don't have to eat the grits.

As to texture, prefer to be about the texture of grout or mortar so that the stuff will mistakenly be used in construction and not be put on my plate.:D

My son is home. My wife surrendered residential custody, and is willingly paying support. He's going to live with me from now on, and I am so glad of it.

As to my wife, I am shocked at her attitude toward all this. Its as if she's relieved she won't have to worry about our child's day to day needs anymore...

Congratulations to you. Good wishes to your son. I hope things continue to work for you and what now remains of your family.

My son is home. My wife surrendered residential custody, and is willingly paying support. He's going to live with me from now on, and I am so glad of it.

As to my wife, I am shocked at her attitude toward all this. Its as if she's relieved she won't have to worry about our child's day to day needs anymore...

Y'know, I could almost understand this . . . IF she hadn't taken him away from you and bragged that she was going to get rights.

But this attitude smacks of using kids as bargaining chips in a divorce, and that's just not cool.

Good for you. I'm glad you have him, because obviously you're better equipped to take care of him. I hope it stays that way.

QUOTED BY LEMMING: "Barring disaster, we'll be owning our own small chunk of land soon. As it turns out our employer had an extra lot in town that they were willing to sell at this time. Lucky that Jenn was talking about our inability to find one to the right person.

The construction of Lemming Manor shall begin soon!"

You should build a Danger Room!:thumbup:

You should build a Danger Room!:thumbup:

Will there be a Danger Mouse in the Danger Room?

I assume the plot of land is right on the edge of a cliff. :sneaky:

Congrats, in any event, unless this happens to be a parcel of land on either the Louisiana or Texas coasts, in which case, hrm. :doi:

Oh' date=' and by the way, a kitten moved in under our porch last week, and since into our house. I guess we have a new cat.[/quote']Ah, so you're a sucker for that "cute, fuzzy thing on the doorstep" routine, too? Good for you! :thumbup:

Here's a present, in (pale) recognition of your kind-heartedness. :D

John T

As one father to another, it sounds to me like he has landed with the right parent. It is a big task you are taking on, though, I hope you have a solid support network (family, friends, etc).

Best wishes to you and your son.

Will there be a Danger Mouse in the Danger Room?

I assume the plot of land is right on the edge of a cliff. :sneaky:

Congrats, in any event, unless this happens to be a parcel of land on either the Louisiana or Texas coasts, in which case, hrm. :doi:

It's in Kanab in plain view of some spectacular cliffs. ;)

Well, the initial plan for a dwelling will be quite small. So no danger room, and I don't think the cats would tolerate a danger mouse. Though I saw a great table yesterday in St. George that would be a good gaming table. No room for it though as of now, but gives me an idea for later.

BTW' date=' congrats on the new kitten. What's the sharp one's name?[/quote']

Monty. Named in part after the Monty who runs the Poverty and Railroad Museum in Moses Lake and in part after the Monty (Monte?) who was the Ramones' fashion designer and in part, though frankly after the fact as it just didn't hit us at first, afer Monty Python's Flying Circus.