Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Scene: Bank. Instore branch in a local department store.

Players: Customer (a long time, occasionally troublesome customer)

Me (me)

Carla (my assistant manager who is very popular as she will go to the mat for a customer. She smiles through tirades)

Manager (Will also go to mat for customer, but does not take grief)

Customer comes in with an add from another bank offering a nice rate on an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) Time Deposit (or Certificate of Deposit = CD); she asks what our rate is as her IRAs with us come due this day. I get the sheet and it's not pretty. About 1% different.

Customer asks if we can match the rate from the other bank.

I ask manager. No we cannot. We don't have discretion for IRAs

Customer complains. Wants to talk to Carla, who is leaving for lunch.

Carla: I'm leaving! Sorry!

Customer returns to me, "I want the number she's going to be at! I need to talk to her!"

Me: I don't have any number to give you, sorry.

Customer: You will lose these IRA's

Me: Well, we hate to lose the money but you should get the best rate you can. Would you like me to close the IRA for you?

Customer: Yes, and my husbands.

Me: Well he needs to be here.

Customer: No he doesn't, I can take forms home for him to sign. I do the banking.

Me (Filling out her withdrawal form): Well, with regular accounts, sure, you are both signers, but IRA's are different, there are distribution forms that print as I run the transaction, these need to be signed to. He needs to be here.

Customer: My husband doesn't come into the bank!

Me: Well, okay, you could go to the bank you are transferring to and have them request and IRA rollover.

Customer: No. We did that before and your bank took 4 months to deliver it.

Me: Oh. I am sorry. Well, I can get you a check for yours and we're open until 7PM, he can come by and then we can get his too.

Customer: I told you he won't come in here.

Me: Well, unless you want to chance the rollover there's no other way, we need his signature to close the IRA.

Customer: F-Bizzle! You are so inefficient! It took you 4 months last time and we lost out on hundreds of dollars of interest!

Me: I understand we made it difficult for you last time, and I am sorry, but April's a busy month for the Retirement Department.

Customer: Shi-izzle! Last year Carla got me a check for both of ours and I want it now.

Me: Well, I'm not sure that's possible.

C: I have power of attorney! I can do what I like with is account!

Manager (Swooping in to save Chad!): Oh, you have Power of Attorney? Perhaps we can work with that. Do we have it on file here?

C: yes! And I have a copy in my purse.

Me: *Whew*

Manager: Well, this is a one paragraph POA from 1985 that lacks a notary stamp on it. I'm not sure it will work.

C: They didn't have to stamp them back then!

Me: (thought)Really? There's not a printed name or a seal, if this POA was challenged in court there'd be no way to know who notarized it...(/thought)

Mgr: Well, let me call the Retirement Department. They will let me know if this works and we can get you a check after they've reviewed it. It might take a day or two.

C: But I need to get it to the other bank today! We might lose this rate! YOu are so inefficient! We had a mortgage that took 6 weeks to complete through your bank you (expletive) cost us money.

Mgr: Well, this has nothing to do with the Mortgage Department. Besides, we could get you the checks today if your husband -

C: He's not coming in! He doesn't come in here!

Mger: Then I have to do this, if you'd like to have a seat I will call the Retirement Department and see what else they might need. You might consider the Roll Over option. I know April is busy and they work the rollovers first come, first serve, but it might be faster.

C: Repeated complaints about what happened last time.

C: (now seated in the lobby) this might be the last straw. We'll take our money out of your bank!

Me: Now helping other customers.

Mgr: (returning with some papers) Well, they said that they would look at it but we need further documentation, a consent for verification (meaning it's okay for us to check customer vs Chexsystems for charged off accounts), and a Power of Attorney Affidavit verifying that the POA is still valid and in effect. It must be notarized

C: Repeats litany of offenses my bank has heaped upon her. Says she should be able to walk out with the checks.

Mgr: I understand but the bank has to protect its, and your husbands, interests. And please refrain from swearing or we will be unable to help you.

C: How long will this take?

Mgr: they said 2-3 business days.

C: :mad:

Mgr: If your husband would only come in, we could get this done today.

C: My husband's father died and he hasn't left the house in a month!

Bank: Awkward Silence (save for C's continued rant)

Me: At this point I am pondering: What if her husband is dead and that's why he "Can't Come In"? Or he's being held captive in his own home?

C: Leaves angrily. Can't wait to see if she comes back tomorrow. I feel for Carla as she's gonna be the one they want to bitch too.

A guest coming over tonight, nice guy, quite intelligent, friend of friends...

unfortunately, I also wasn't expecting additional company, so I admit to being in a bad mood about it.

I understand how that goes. I sometimes don't deal with surprises very well. Especially if I already had plans. Even if they were only internal ones.

Maybe there is no husband. And honestly she has some unrealistic ideas about the speed with which banks operate. I'd like them to move faster' date=' but they just don't.[/quote']

Well, like we pointed out, if he comes in and signs, it's done in three minutes.

Lo and behold, today they both came in and signed and had checks in less than...say it with me...three minutes.

It itches.

Do they have a cream for that?

With apologies to Foreigner, sung to the tune of Urgent:

But sometimes I wonder as I hear your complaint

Maybe you’re praying to some other saint

But I know, yes I know, how to heal you right

That’s why you call me in the middle of the fight

You say it’s unguent

So unguent, so oh oh unguent

Just wait and see

Now unguent my wounds for me