Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I was talking with a coworkwer today

We both mentioned that we've been having a hard time sleeping because of stress.

She made the mistake of asking what I was stressed about.

I told her "Well, mostly because my ex just got engaged to the tranny she left me for. The wedding is being planned on a boat... she'll wear the tux, he'll wear the dress."

She opened and closed her mouth three times like a goldfish and responded with "I have NO idea what to say to that."

I can sympathize with her

My comment would have been: "Eh, if there's any justice, the tux will make her butt look fat!" :)

You've been paying way too much attention to those shows. :D

For the past four years running my sole exposure to American culture has been the hero-boards, a collection of country music CDs, and crimetime via the web. :eek:

:nonp:

I basically knew that, but still...

:nonp:

One day one of the fish crawled out of the bowl and started looking in at the other fish...

Its very interesting to disconnect from your mother culture after thirty two years of direct participation and then examine it from without. It gives a unique perspective on both the old and new.

I have found I have come to appreciate some american social and civic values immensely, and rejected others I would never have examined if I had remained. Its also given me an external perspective in examining Israeli culture, because I wasn't reared by it. I see real strengths, and some serious flaws in the culture here.

And while I don't watch a broad spectrum of shows - I do see advertisements and news clips (and the political debates people have here) so I do pick up on trends. Its also interesting to think about the implications of that programming when you know the culture that produced it intimatley, but no longer have congress with it (so to speak).

Americans produce some of the best media in the world - but I don't envy the constant bombardment of 24/7 consumerism, convoluted media-driven social programming, and idiot driven ignorant commentary from news jockeys and policy makers you're constantly subjected to.

Its not just information overload. Its an intentional message bombardment by people who want you to buy what they are selling - be it products or politics. All modern technological cultures have this to some degree, but America is the TV Culture. America is the Information Culture. America is the 24/7 news culture.

It birthed those things because its wired that way.

So, beyond crime-time and some down home music, I'm happy to be unplugged.

One day one of the fish crawled out of the bowl and started looking in at the other fish...

Its very interesting to disconnect from your mother culture after thirty two years of direct participation and then examine it from without. It gives a unique perspective on both the old and new.

I have found I have come to appreciate some american social and civic values immensely, and rejected others I would never have examined if I had remained. Its also given me an external perspective in examining Israeli culture, because I wasn't reared by it. I see real strengths, and some serious flaws in the culture here.

And while I don't watch a broad spectrum of shows - I do see advertisements and news clips (and the political debates people have here) so I do pick up on trends. Its also interesting to think about the implications of that programming when you know the culture that produced it intimatley, but no longer have congress with it (so to speak).

Americans produce some of the best media in the world - but I don't envy the constant bombardment of 24/7 consumerism, convoluted media-driven social programming, and idiot driven ignorant commentary from news jockeys and policy makers you're constantly subjected to.

Its not just information overload. Its an intentional message bombardment by people who want you to buy what they are selling - be it products or politics. All modern technological cultures have this to some degree, but America is the TV Culture. America is the Information Culture. America is the 24/7 news culture.

It birthed those things because its wired that way.

So, beyond crime-time and some down home music, I'm happy to be unplugged.

Oh the :nonp: was for us here at the Hero boards being one of your only windows into American culture. :)

And while I don't deny your comments about the TV Culture, I happily haven't watched more than a few minutes of broadcast TV (i.e. with commercials) in years.

Oh the :nonp: was for us here at the Hero boards being one of your only windows into American culture. :)

And while I don't deny your comments about the TV Culture, I happily haven't watched more than a few minutes of broadcast TV (i.e. with commercials) in years.

Yeah, but you're here alot, and that doesn't really bode your life or sanity any better. ;)