Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I will not use employee information to get a date...

Then use employee information to arrange a situation where you "learn" what you need to then arrange a date. It gives you plausable deniability. :sneaky:

The consensus in the comments was that the catalog is definitely geared toward gay males. And some gay male commenters weighed in to say' date=' "I'm just as horrified as you are."[/quote']

They're selling Puka necklaces! THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

So I had to go to traffic court this morning. I got a ticket for expired tags. Sadly, this is not the first time that has happened to me. (I'm quite the rebel.) When this happened to me in Florida, it was only a warning ticket and I had 15 days to renew the tags... with a hefty penalty.

Here in North Carolina, I got a ticket for $25...but $120 in court costs, bringing the ticket to $145. Yikes! And that's before renewing the tags and god knows what penalty is there. I go to renew the tags...and there's no late penalty. None. Very nice. I go to traffic court this morning to prove I renewed...and it was dismissed entirely! Extremely nice.

So I paid to renew my tags five months late, and there was no penalty other than 30 minutes in court. Things may be looking up. :celebrate

I could've told you that's what would've happened. Same thing happened to Josh a couple of months ago. I find it interesting that your registration and inspection are retroactive. I suppose the state makes more money that way.

Mass e-mail subject lines that ought to have been considered a bit more thoroughly' date=' item 23,803:[/i']

I was drinking coffee when I read that. You very nearly owed me a new keyboard.

I could've told you that's what would've happened. Same thing happened to Josh a couple of months ago. I find it interesting that your registration and inspection are retroactive. I suppose the state makes more money that way.

The only time I've ever been ticketed for an expired plate was in Colorado. They don't dismiss the ticket if you renew your plates. They don't really do late fees per se either. Usually if you pay late they charge you a pro-rated extra amount to cover the amount you were late, and then your tags are good for a year from the current month. Though I was also occasionally charged just the normal fee, and then the new tags were only good for a year after the old ones expired.

As far as tags go, California is much stickier about it. You get charged a late fee for registering late, and the new tags are only good for a year from when the old ones expired. And I would be surprised if tickets for expired tags would get dismissed because you renew after you got the ticket. Though I'll admit I've been surprised before...

Man. Remind me to never live in California . . .

I try to be a responsible adult, but things like that have a tendency to slip my mind. I'm lucky to have not been pulled over for it in YEARS, but I do have some short periods of time where I'm very careful to obey traffic and speeding laws, so as not to give them an excuse.

The one who pulled Josh over seemed to have been waiting for him. The only thing I can think of is that a neighbor called after spotting his inspection was expired. Or maybe this area is notorious for people forgetting that kind of thing. I don't know. All I know is, that's all he was ticketed for. He wasn't speeding.

Man. Remind me to never live in California . . .

I try to be a responsible adult, but things like that have a tendency to slip my mind. I'm lucky to have not been pulled over for it in YEARS, but I do have some short periods of time where I'm very careful to obey traffic and speeding laws, so as not to give them an excuse.

The one who pulled Josh over seemed to have been waiting for him. The only thing I can think of is that a neighbor called after spotting his inspection was expired. Or maybe this area is notorious for people forgetting that kind of thing. I don't know. All I know is, that's all he was ticketed for. He wasn't speeding.

It had honestly never occured to me that any state would dismiss an expired plates ticket just because you went in later to get them renewed. That seems much like dropping theft charges if the thief is willing to pay for the item. My understanding is that such tickets are supposed to be an incentive to get people to register their vehicles. Dismissing the ticket if you go ahead and renew seems like more of an incentive to wait until you get a ticket to do the renewal. Why do it before then?