Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I always had you figured for a pain freak. :D

Never really played Rolemaster, but I have some MERP mileage, which I guess is RM Lite. Even so I had issues with the lethality of the system. Oddly I've never played GURPS; I suspect that'd be my second favorite fantasy system if I had. But since I haven't, #2 is Ars Magica. (I think 4th ed., because it matters.)

Maybe your players don't want to learn a new system. I personally would rather play the older systems' date=' than 3rd Edition and won't even bother looking at 4th.[/quote']

I don't know about that "learn a new system" thing. It's been probably 3 or 4 years since any of us played 3.5 (and we were never really clear on most of it anyway -- all the contradictions and "X unless Y" bits in the rules we could never figure out; we'd have to learn the system fresh anyway.

Or they're just feeling nostalgic.

Really it's just one player in particular wants to play, but she exerts a huge influence on her husband (who is our group's other GM).

I always had you figured for a pain freak. :D

Never really played Rolemaster, but I have some MERP mileage, which I guess is RM Lite. Even so I had issues with the lethality of the system. Oddly I've never played GURPS; I suspect that'd be my second favorite fantasy system if I had. But since I haven't, #2 is Ars Magica. (I think 4th ed., because it matters.)

MERP is evil. It is Rolemaster with all the good bits taken out. Though yes, Rolemaster can be deadly. It gives a good education to player to either a) make sure that they use some of their bonuses on defense, not just offense, or B) get good at making characters quickly. B was helped by the fact that I had a pretty complete Excel sheet that tracked most everything you needed for making up characters. Including Spell Lists. :)

I've played GURPS. Rolemaster is still my #2 Fansasy game. Never played Ars Magica though.

I don't know about that "learn a new system" thing. It's been probably 3 or 4 years since any of us played 3.5 (and we were never really clear on most of it anyway -- all the contradictions and "X unless Y" bits in the rules we could never figure out; we'd have to learn the system fresh anyway.

Really it's just one player in particular wants to play, but she exerts a huge influence on her husband (who is our group's other GM).

Darn wimmins.

I dimly recollect playing Space Master exactly once, and I remember thinking that it was really complicated as compared to MERP. But that's not a fair comparison since I never played it enough to get a real handle on the rules.

One thing that annoyed me about MERP, anyway, wasn't the tables so much as that there weren't enough tables. Sounds crazy, I know, but about the fiftieth time by hobbit archer had severed someone's patellar tendon, I was really wishing that the tables were either more generic, or waaay more detailed, so that I wouldn't be bored by the results.

As for Ars Magica... it's famous for its magic system, of course, which is not all that flexible but is really unmatched in terms of capturing the flavor of dark ages black magic--laws of sympathy and contagion, nature and spirits and the elements, etc. But I also liked the combat system, which had a neat back-and-forth advantage-shifting mechanic.

None of these, though, even approach Fantasy Hero, flawed though it is.

I dimly recollect playing Space Master exactly once, and I remember thinking that it was really complicated as compared to MERP. But that's not a fair comparison since I never played it enough to get a real handle on the rules.

One thing that annoyed me about MERP, anyway, wasn't the tables so much as that there weren't enough tables. Sounds crazy, I know, but about the fiftieth time by hobbit archer had severed someone's patellar tendon, I was really wishing that the tables were either more generic, or waaay more detailed, so that I wouldn't be bored by the results.

As for Ars Magica... it's famous for its magic system, of course, which is not all that flexible but is really unmatched in terms of capturing the flavor of dark ages black magic--laws of sympathy and contagion, nature and spirits and the elements, etc. But I also liked the combat system, which had a neat back-and-forth advantage-shifting mechanic.

None of these, though, even approach Fantasy Hero, flawed though it is.

Rolemaster's tables are considerably more detailed than MERP's.