Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

A coworker just had her gallbladder removed at midnight last week. Was back home the next morning.

I had mine taken out a few years ago. Woke up in the middle of it. That was . . . alarming. Painful, too.

They kept me overnight after the surgery (it was an emergency procedure, because I was actively passing stones), and I remember the worst part was how gingerly I had to breathe, stand up, straighten and walk. Also that I didn't realize just how many activities used the abdominal muscles.

My stitches came out at the end of the week, but I wasn't back to full mobility for two weeks.

I had mine taken out a few years ago. Woke up in the middle of it. That was . . . alarming. Painful, too.

They kept me overnight after the surgery (it was an emergency procedure, because I was actively passing stones), and I remember the worst part was how gingerly I had to breathe, stand up, straighten and walk. Also that I didn't realize just how many activities used the abdominal muscles.

My stitches came out at the end of the week, but I wasn't back to full mobility for two weeks.

I'll find out tomorrow how my coworker is doing, but she was pretty sick for the last couple weeks before they went "Hey! I think it's the gallbladder!"

She sent her husband on an adoption run just to get him out of the house since he's been taking care of her during this.

Everything went fine. He's back home, sore and groggy as hell, but otherwise in great shape.

I knew it would be fine, but still there is always that little voice that worries about the worst possible outcome.

wahoo :thumbup:

I am so glad you didn't post that until I heard he was ok.

My second plane flight in a month is tomorrow.

You may think this is no big deal.

Starting my senior year of college I developed debilitating panic attacks which started as stage fright (opera performance major) and quickly grew to invade the rest of my life. Now, almost 10 years post graduation I have beaten back this disorder and, until the first of this month, flying on air planes was the very last serious panic/anxiety trigger I had.

The flight at the beginning of the month was just under an hour. A hop, really from MD to OH to visit friends. It broke the ice, though, and tomorrow I fly from MD to Washington State to visit family. I'm excited, a bit nervous, but mostly looking forward to it.

Wish me luck. :)

Luck! :thumbup:

Mostly due to the fact that I am seriously phobic about heights I've never really liked flying, though I've never had a panic attack over it. I've pretty much gotten rid of my dislike of flying by sheer repetition. The San Francisco to Dublin flight being the longest I've done, with no problems. :)

I'll find out tomorrow how my coworker is doing, but she was pretty sick for the last couple weeks before they went "Hey! I think it's the gallbladder!"

She sent her husband on an adoption run just to get him out of the house since he's been taking care of her during this.

Alesia was sick for something like 2-3 months, off and on, before they figured it out. She also had what I assume your coworker had, a laproscopy (sp), and recovery was quite good aside from some very short-term post-procedure sickness (as in just the first 24 hours).

Pet peeve time. Doing the crossword at lunch I came across this clue:

"They're spangled on the banner" which has the answer STARS.

This is of course WRONG. The stars are not spangled; the BANNER is spangled, spangled with STARS.

For some reason that is really annoying.

To be fair, everything is really annoying to me today.

At the risk of further annoying you, it actually is right. The banner is the thing on which stars have been spangled. So it is correct to say that they are spangled on the banner. The banner is the thing that is spangled (with stars), and the stars are what is spangled on the banner.

:)

At the risk of further annoying you, it actually is right. The banner is the thing on which stars have been spangled. So it is correct to say that they are spangled on the banner. The banner is the thing that is spangled (with stars), and the stars are what is spangled on the banner.

:)

I have to beg to differ. To say that the stars are spangled is incorrect, regardless of the modifier "on the banner." The stars do not receive the quality of being spangled, they perform the spangling.

I have written some form of "spangle" now more than I ever have in my previous 36 years of life combined. It is beginning to not sound like a word anymore.

I have to beg to differ. To say that the stars are spangled is incorrect, regardless of the modifier "on the banner." The stars do not receive the quality of being spangled, they perform the spangling.

I have written some form of "spangle" now more than I ever have in my previous 36 years of life combined. It is beginning to not sound like a word anymore.

The dictionary would disagree with you:

span·gle Pronunciation [spang-guhl]

noun, verb, -gled, -gling.

–noun

1. a small, thin, often circular piece of glittering metal or other material, used esp. for decorating garments.

2. any small, bright drop, object, spot, or the like.

–verb (used with object)

3. to decorate with spangles.

4. to sprinkle or stud with small, bright pieces, objects, spots, etc.

–verb (used without object)

5. to glitter with or like spangles.

It would seem that either meaning 3 or 4 is perfectly appropriate. The stars have been spangled upon the banner. The banner is spangled with stars, and stars have been spangled on the banner. Something can be spangled, and you can spangle something. I don't see that one way of saying it is any more appropriate than the other.

The dictionary would disagree with you:

span·gle Pronunciation [spang-guhl]

noun, verb, -gled, -gling.

–noun

1. a small, thin, often circular piece of glittering metal or other material, used esp. for decorating garments.

2. any small, bright drop, object, spot, or the like.

–verb (used with object)

3. to decorate with spangles.

4. to sprinkle or stud with small, bright pieces, objects, spots, etc.

–verb (used without object)

5. to glitter with or like spangles.

It would seem that either meaning 3 or 4 is perfectly appropriate. The stars have been spangled upon the banner. The banner is spangled with stars, and stars have been spangled on the banner. Something can be spangled, and you can spangle something. I don't see that one way of saying it is any more appropriate than the other.

See, I'm reading that and thinking "Exactly! They're doing the spangling!" But enough. Let's talk about chicks, man.

I'd totally spangle that. With stripes. :cool:

See, I'm reading that and thinking "Exactly! They're doing the spangling!" But enough. Let's talk about chicks, man.

I'd totally spangle that. With stripes. :cool:

Dude! Stripes is the girls step father. That is gross!

(we are talking about "The Star Spangled Kid aka Stargirl, right?)