Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Oh and Log? I wrote my first Cover Letter ever today. I am in agreement, they suck. How the H E Double Hockeysticks am I supposed to write a personal letter to an online job site? Dear series of 0s and 1s....

and then I have to tell them what I know and what I can do but not just rehash my resume...which tells them what I know and what I can do.

Stupid. And I hate sales, if I could sell myself I wouldn't be alone right now!

*bitter*

I hate fumble tables. I don't know how other systems handle what causes a fumble, but in a prior game I was in, the GM had a fumble ocurr for a d20 roll of 1. Which meant that *someone* was just about guaranteed to fumble and throw their weapon across the battlefield in every other combat. :mad:

He had a lot of house rules (most I liked -- some resembled 3.x D&D), one of which was that (IIRC) you weren't restricted to a specific # of Turn attempts per Day. But once you had attempted to Turn an undead, you couldn't attempt again against that same undead for a period of time (I forget the exact period, maybe a day). I was playing a Cleric/Fighter and against a horde of Skeletons (that I could mow though akin to PowerAttack+Cleave+GreatCleave -- he called it "Sweep"), I put away my greatsword and used Turning just to avoid the ^%&(#$% Fumbles.

I do hate writing cover letters so very much.

Me too. That's why I came up with a template with my qualifications and customize it when I go after a specific job.

Job hunting is... the suxxors.

It does indeed. Best of luck on your job search.

Me too. That's why I came up with a template with my qualifications and customize it when I go after a specific job.

I do to, but the personalization still needs to happen and I'm never quite sure how to approach it. (Not to mention the second guessing as I go over the existing template.)

The real problem, as I see it, is that you never get feedback on the cover letter. Nobody ever tells you if it is good or bad and why. You just get the interview or you don't. And if you don't, it may or may not be the letter; you can't assume anything. Very, very frustrating.

The cover letter is kinda a formality. Some places don't even look at it. Those that do, mostly look at it to (a) see if you're capable of basic written communications, and (B) see if you actually read the job requirements or if you're just throwing resumes out at anything and everything that looks like a job.

So with that in mind:

(a) Make sure your letter is written in good, clear English. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation matter, as does a basic understanding of the proper formatting of a letter!

(B) Read the job requirements completely. You don't have to have every single qualification (some HR departments seem to be looking for a cross between Jesus Christ and Superman), but make sure you include little tidbits about why you're the best man for the job.

Myself, I have a generic cover letter that I use for just about everything. I customize the first and the last paragraphs -- the first paragraph says what the job is I'm looking for and where I heard about the job they're advertising. The last paragraph lists my qualifications, and is tailored to match their advertisement (if they're looking for someone who knows InDesign, tell them about my Adobe training rather than my expertise at MS Word). The middle paragraphs are just a description of where I worked last, and what I did there.

I'd be happy to review anyone's cover letters and/or rez if you'd like. :)

Mind you, IME if your first contact with anyone at the employer about a job is HR, you are wasting your time. That more or less never gets you anywhere. I think all they do is count applications. If your resume doesn't match exactly what their ad asked for, you don't have the qualifications. If it does, then you must have just copy-pasted the ad and you are a liar and they don't want those (in the rank & file positions, anyway).

I'm not sure there's an HR office anywhere that knows how to hire anybody anymore. All they're for is to tote up reasons why the employer can fire people without fear of a lawsuit.

Mind you, IME if your first contact with anyone at the employer about a job is HR, you are wasting your time. That more or less never gets you anywhere. I think all they do is count applications. If your resume doesn't match exactly what their ad asked for, you don't have the qualifications. If it does, then you must have just copy-pasted the ad and you are a liar and they don't want those (in the rank & file positions, anyway).

I'm not sure there's an HR office anywhere that knows how to hire anybody anymore. All they're for is to tote up reasons why the employer can fire people without fear of a lawsuit.

Yeah, a pretty good percentage of the jobs I've gotten in my life were because the person doing the hiring didn't like any of the applicants they were getting from HR and forced them to hand over the resumes and/or applications of the people that were at least close to the requirements. Of course that might have something to do with not having a degree. Tossing out people who don't have degrees seems to be a favorite first step with HR departments. Even if a degree wasn't listed as a requirement.

I've also seen some pretty...arbitrary culling methods. Particularly during the time right after the tech bubble burst. Any tech job was getting shotgunned with applicants. I've seen people go through resumes throwing away any that were too long, too short, on ugly paper, on cheap paper, on expensive paper, on coloured paper, etc.

One of the more reasonable ones I've seen (and this was during the tech boom) was from my brother when he was running the ISP I used to work for. When he would advertise for a position, he would clearly indicate that he wanted resumes either faxed or e-mailed in plain text. And would only give an e-mail address and fax number. Any resumes that were e-mailed as a .doc (or any other non .txt) file would be deleted without being read. Occasionally someone would dig around to find out what the mailing address for the company was and mail in their resume. Those would get tossed before the letter was even opened, assuming that you could tell on the outside that it was a resume. He figured that if you couldn't be bothered to follow simple, clear directions that he wasn't interested in having you work for him. :)

I do to, but the personalization still needs to happen and I'm never quite sure how to approach it. (Not to mention the second guessing as I go over the existing template.)

The real problem, as I see it, is that you never get feedback on the cover letter. Nobody ever tells you if it is good or bad and why. You just get the interview or you don't. And if you don't, it may or may not be the letter; you can't assume anything. Very, very frustrating.

So not only is it like shooting at targets in the dark, but you also have some blanks mixed in with the real ammo?

The best way IMO is to use the shotgun approach. Lots and lots of resumes sent out. :)

And please' date=' please do not give your resume the filename of "resume.doc".[/quote']Of course not. i name it "myresume.doc" :D

Actually, I find the pre-written resume is becoming increasingly obsolete. Almost all of the jobs that I'm applying for these days are through a university (or a government agency) and they want you to fill out their 'resume creator' rather than attach any documents.

Of course, I knew one place where they told me (after the fact!) that in any given workday only the last application you've filed electronically with them gets stored. The rest get silently overwritten. Good thing I only applied for one job with them.