Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Rita Hayworth? By visuals alone I'd have to say I approve of her

So put me down as pro

Wait, was that the question?

Don't make me shave my beard... the appearance of wisdom is all I have

Assigning a COM score: Hero System Discussion Fora.

A day like any other. Well' date=' except for turning 40 and all at 12:24 am on August 10th. A day which I will celebrate by sleeping in, not going to work, and consuming very yummi German chocolate cake.[/quote']

Yom Haledet Tov!

(happy birthday)

The Giant Monster problem still vexes me. A friend suggested making Giant Monsters automatons, to give them the Takes No Stun power; that at least would keep them safe from 6d6 double AP tank barages. Another option I've considered is something like +300 PD / +300 ED Armor, Double Hardened, Only vs Real Weapons (-1). On top of a regular PD and ED in the 60 range, that should take care of things without needing a house rule, even if some idiot scores a critical head shot by surprise. Expensive and clunky as hell, though.

Maybe we just need to accept that only Heroes throwing 80d6 attacks or better should have a chance of standing up against Godzilla.

A 30rPD/30rED combined with 75% Resistant Damage Reduction means that even a 30d6 attack, on average (30*3.5 = 105) will only end up doing a total of (105 - 30 = 75 * 0.25 = 18.75) 19 STUN. Give Godzilla CON 30, and he will almost never get Stunned. Then, all you really need to worry about is giving him enough STUN and REC so he can take a lot of punishment over a long time. Maybe toss in some Regeneration as well.

A 30rPD/30rED combined with 75% Resistant Damage Reduction means that even a 30d6 attack' date=' on average (30*3.5 = 105) will only end up doing a total of (105 - 30 = 75 * 0.25 = 18.75) 19 STUN. Give Godzilla CON 30, and he will almost never get Stunned. Then, all you really need to worry about is giving him enough STUN and REC so he can take a lot of punishment over a long time. Maybe toss in some Regeneration as well.[/quote']

Yet put him up against a dozen or so official Hero System tanks, each pumping 6d6 Double AP KAs into him every phase, and the average stun he's being hit with is about 52 Stun double AP per shot. Odds are at least one of the 12 tanks every phase will manage closer to 120-180 Stun, and things get even uglier if he's surprised. Even 3/4 Dam Red doesn't help for long.

You can change the write up of the tanks, or cap the stun multiple (which is what I do), but it still becomes harder than it needs to be to keep the Invincible Monster genre feel.

Special powers (like "Intangible to real weapons") or massive PDs and EDs help, but it all feels awkward.

Yet put him up against a dozen or so official Hero System tanks' date=' each pumping 6d6 Double AP KAs into him every phase, and the average stun he's being hit with is about 52 Stun double AP per shot. [/quote']

Why not just do Double Hardened Defenses?

Why not just do Double Hardened Defenses?

Sure, as I said, you can always just keep upping the defenses. The problem I have is that my Superheroes are throwing 60-90 active point attacks, but my Godzilla tribute has to be able to safely wade through a dozen 180 active point attacks per phase (if we go with official CU write ups of military hardware). Go for a Cloverfield style monster and the active points of attacks he can soak up become even higher.

There are ways to deal with it, the easiest being setting specific system tweaks (If the max body can't get through, no stun can get through; that sort of thing) or anti-real weapon defenses. You can also just say "Supers can't fight giant monsters", but that doesn't match the source material.

I usually hedge by down powering either the hardware or the monsters, or both. It works, but it's not a solution I'm really happy with.

Sure, as I said, you can always just keep upping the defenses. The problem I have is that my Superheroes are throwing 60-90 active point attacks, but my Godzilla tribute has to be able to safely wade through a dozen 180 active point attacks per phase (if we go with official CU write ups of military hardware). Go for a Cloverfield style monster and the active points of attacks he can soak up become even higher.

There are ways to deal with it, the easiest being setting specific system tweaks (If the max body can't get through, no stun can get through; that sort of thing) or anti-real weapon defenses. You can also just say "Supers can't fight giant monsters", but that doesn't match the source material.

I usually hedge by down powering either the hardware or the monsters, or both. It works, but it's not a solution I'm really happy with.

You could buy missile deflection (uncontrolled) and martial block ("take it on the scales") with a trigger and scads of PSLs. Or build desolidification vs. "damage" with various limitations tailored to how and when you want the beastie to take damage.

I think the main issue is that when they designed the CU the folx at Hero/DoJ wanted military hardware (particularly heavy stuff like tanks) to be able to challenge "normal" level supers. So it makes sense that if you are running at CU power levels with CU equipment you would likely have a hard time designing monsters that can shrug tanks but can be beaten by supers.

In most of the Godzilla movies I have memories of' date=' it took another monster of equal proportions, or a giant robot of equal proportions, to fight off Godzilla.[/quote']

... Only to be hit by 'rival-Godzilla'? :winkgrin::eg:

And yet Coke announced it was new to North America.

So.. we may have been behind the 2 liter Contour Curve for a while.

I could have sworn I'd seen the 2 liter bottles in the past - and I'm talking more the '70s/'80s than recent past. Maybe a relaunch, maybe new/different bottles, same amount.

I could have sworn I'd seen the 2 liter bottles in the past - and I'm talking more the '70s/'80s than recent past. Maybe a relaunch' date=' maybe new/different bottles, same amount.[/quote']

You sure you didn't see them in Europe? :)

"tas"?

The Animated Series, I'm thinking.