Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Yeah, I was fresh out of liquid nitrogen at the time.  Really need to get to the market.

Interestingly, while the yellow jackets' strong defensive position prevented me from knowing the full strength of their forces or the percentage of casualties I inflicted, it also created a choke point that stopped them from deploying effectively.  Had they been able to do so, their superior maneuverability, numbers, and arsedaggers might have inflicted a crushing and humiliating defeat.  Instead, despite their high morale and determination, I was able to defeat their forces in detail with little risk to my own assets.

Flamethrowers tend to have more collateral damage than extinguishers. I have heard first-hand reports of using a CO2 extinguisher on an offending arthropod inside the control shack of a radio telescope, which is just chock full of delicate, expensive electronics. A flamethrower, by contrast, would have destroyed the installation. And once the target was flash-frozen by the extinguisher, you can use a broom handle to break the frozen nasty-nasty into small pieces, which has great gratification potential.

Fire extinguisher: Expensive and messy.  (Not messy in a good way either.)

Flamethrower That Throws Flames: I seriously considered this.  Or more accurately, I considered the blowtorch+carb cleaner version.  However, the nest was actually in my neighbor's rock wall, in close proximity to his plastic fence.  (Technically it wasn't my problem, but my other neighbor, who was dealt a stinging defeat at the hands arses of the yellowjackets, complained to me because my neighbor wasn't home.)  So I opted for the wasp spray, for the lower risk of unintended consequences as well as the superior range. 

It occurs to me that I should see if the wasp spray is flammable at all.  Oh god that would be perfect--a high velocity stream of burning neurotoxin.

Fire extinguisher: Expensive and messy.  (Not messy in a good way either.)

Flamethrower That Throws Flames: I seriously considered this.  Or more accurately, I considered the blowtorch+carb cleaner version.  However, the nest was actually in my neighbor's rock wall, in close proximity to his plastic fence.  (Technically it wasn't my problem, but my other neighbor, who was dealt a stinging defeat at the hands arses of the yellowjackets, complained to me because my neighbor wasn't home.)  So I opted for the wasp spray, for the lower risk of unintended consequences as well as the superior range. 

It occurs to me that I should see if the wasp spray is flammable at all.  Oh god that would be perfect--a high velocity stream of burning neurotoxin.

I guess the heat would render the toxin inert, but I'd pay to have the experiment taped and put up on YouTube (if I had any money).

Yellow jackets are a subset of wasps, not the whole flavor of critter, at least on this side of the Big Pond.

Right.  Mostly I get paper wasps, which I have run afoul of in the past, mainly because they built their nest in a stupid location.  They are the reason I have wasp spray at hand.

However they are relatively docile if you don't blunder directly into their nest.  These yellow jackets, on the other hand, were highly aggressive, attacking my neighbor for the crime of walking past their rock wall. 

Wasps in general I terminate with extreme prejudice, but these yellowjackets especially needed to die.  At least it wasn't a huge nest--at least I don't think it was.  I read stories of nests with hundreds or thousands of flying arsedagger-wielding insectoid bastards.

Wasps in general I terminate with extreme prejudice, but these yellowjackets especially needed to die.  At least it wasn't a huge nest--at least I don't think it was.  I read stories of nests with hundreds or thousands of flying arsedagger-wielding insectoid bastards.

Wait until fire ants get to Hawaii. If yellow jackets are cup of milk that's gone sour and rancid, fire ants are a cocktail of sarin and phosgene knocked back with a chaser of chlorine trifluoride, all delivered at 600 psi per rectum. If nuclear weapons were effective against them, I would unhesitatingly endorse using our nuclear arsenal for that purpose.

Wait until fire ants get to Hawaii. If yellow jackets are cup of milk that's gone sour and rancid, fire ants are a cocktail of sarin and phosgene knocked back with a chaser of chlorine trifluoride, all delivered at 600 psi per rectum. If nuclear weapons were effective against them, I would unhesitatingly endorse using our nuclear arsenal for that purpose.

Wildlife...please... Come to Australia... :eg: 

Wildlife...please... Come to Australia... :eg:

I read about a guy trying to document all of the dangerous critters in Australia.  He gave up after several months when he realized it would be faster to make a list of everything in Australia that wasn't dangerous.  The final list was published as follows:

A Catalog of Benign Fauna of Australia

"Some of the sheep."

We've had fire ants for a long time.  For some reason they're not as commonplace as they are, like, everywhere on the mainland.  We also recently acquired what are called "little fire ants", which I guess are pretty much what the label says, although I have yet to actually encounter any.  Supposedly they're like a cross between regular fire ants and drop bears.

Have you seen these dudes that go around filling fire ant nests with molten aluminum? 

front_img_0866.jpg