Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 2 weeks later...

So I once heard that (in that snarky internet way) that Billy Joel wrote "I love you just the way you are" for his first wife and then dumped her to marry Christy Brinkley. 

Does that mean he meant the lyrics sarcastically?

The things I think before I sleep.

He would not be the only one who did something like that. Chris de Burgh wrote 'The Lady in Red' for his wife and dumped her. And Eric Clapton also wrote a song for a wife he then dumped.

A friend of mine ended up in Copenhagen and married a nice Danish girl. They became parents last year, and when the time came to name the boy J. tried to peruade his missus to go along with calling the child Dick Tage Tor.

Pronounced in Danish, it sounds exactly like "dictator".

Well, at least it doesn't sound like "Diseased molester of underaged reptiles"....

Nothing about the case was really good.  Still the penalty was steeper than I had expected.

The 'H' in HFS stands for 'holy'.

I got a guy 30 years for stealing a candy bar.  A King Size Payday, because the gods love a little irony.  Mandatory minimums are a bitch.

What did your guy do?  And how did you do it?  I thought you were in programming instead of prosecuting?

I got a guy 30 years for stealing a candy bar. A King Size Payday, because the gods love a little irony. Mandatory minimums are a bitch.

What did your guy do? And how did you do it? I thought you were in programming instead of prosecuting?

Jury duty. (I finally won something!!). Pimp recorded another pimp beating and stripping one of his girls. Turns out first degree promotion of prostitution carries a mandatory 20 year sentence. Cameraman got dinged for second degree based on the texts on his phone. Sad case all around really, though nobody died.

• 2 weeks later...

Spilled some 1 molar sodium hydroxide during a demo today. I don't know yet if any of it got on my new pants. If so, I'm going to need some new new pants.

In high school I had the bad habit of chewing on the caps of my Bic pens. One day in physics class two "friends" of mine nipped off with my pen, and dunked the cap into the 1-to-4 sulfuric acid we had in our wet cell batteries in lab that day, gave it a quick dry with a paper towel, and returned the pen. Then very shortly into the next class (English) I put the pen cap in my mouth and ... I got up quickly, exited the room without asking permission, and beelined to the water fountain to rinse mouth and pen cap and so on.

In high school I had the bad habit of chewing on the caps of my Bic pens. One day in physics class two "friends" of mine nipped off with my pen, and dunked the cap into the 1-to-4 sulfuric acid we had in our wet cell batteries in lab that day, gave it a quick dry with a paper towel, and returned the pen. Then very shortly into the next class (English) I put the pen cap in my mouth and ... I got up quickly, exited the room without asking permission, and beelined to the water fountain to rinse mouth and pen cap and so on.

With friends like those...

I hope you were able to get back at them.