Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Wrong!  Your favorite Pouledouris is Battle of the Mounds.  Followed by Battle in the Mutara Nebula.  Hymn to Red October does not suck though.

I would actually list those three in precisely the opposite order you did. But you are correct, they're all great music.

Yeah, I was thinking that was likely to be the case; I didn't remember any such listed.

I have no experience with poison oak or ivy, but I can report that stinging nettle is rather low on the irritation index compared to literally everything on your list.  It takes a few points back on persistence, but even this was not enough to keep us (as 3rd-graders) from learning how to avoid the stingy parts by scraping dirt away from the nettle's base, then carefully grasping the sub-ground portion of the plant and uproot it, and after due perfection of the technique, voila!  You could have stinging nettle swordfights!

From what I understand about poison oak, the ouchie and itchy is much more severe, and you would never want to try the nettle-fencing thing.

For devil's club, the venom is low-grade, lower than the nettles.  But the stinger hairs are all over, and break off and stay in the skin, extruding their stingy sap while thus embedded.  (The plant is much larger and more robust than nettles, and it has coarser thorns as well.)  I heartily endorse the use of white kryptonite on devil's club.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Yeah, I was thinking that was likely to be the case; I didn't remember any such listed.

I have no experience with poison oak or ivy, but I can report that stinging nettle is rather low on the irritation index compared to literally everything on your list.  It takes a few points back on persistence, but even this was not enough to keep us (as 3rd-graders) from learning how to avoid the stingy parts by scraping dirt away from the nettle's base, then carefully grasping the sub-ground portion of the plant and uproot it, and after due perfection of the technique, voila!  You could have stinging nettle swordfights!

From what I understand about poison oak, the ouchie and itchy is much more severe, and you would never want to try the nettle-fencing thing.

For devil's club, the venom is low-grade, lower than the nettles.  But the stinger hairs are all over, and break off and stay in the skin, extruding their stingy sap while thus embedded.  (The plant is much larger and more robust than nettles, and it has coarser thorns as well.)  I heartily endorse the use of white kryptonite on devil's club.

I've posted before about how Australia has us all beat.  (As usual.)

58 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Meanwhile, another profile picture change to annoy the Tribble.  Might as well join with the infection.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reaction, I can tell you I don't have the time. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you change your avatar back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will mock you.