Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

54 minutes ago, death tribble said:

In order to help those that are desperate to get the Thread for Random Musings up to the 'dreaded page' that this thread passed over three hundred pages ago, I will be posting daily updates from my viewing of the Tour de France and then I will post updates from the Giro and the Vuelta.

Let them remain desperate...hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way according to some brilliant philosophers that I know.

I've decided to start performing random acts of kindness. For example, if I see some guy picking up trash, I'll flip a coin. If it turns up heads, I'll help him out. If it turns up tails, I'll ignore him, or maybe throw my used sandwich wrapper on the ground where he's working.

I'm really trying to emphasize the 'random' part.

21 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

That hardly qualifies as random musings anymore. Just saying. 

Since when has that stopped us ?

21 hours ago, Starlord said:

Let them remain desperate...hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way according to some brilliant philosophers that I know.

I like the way you think and I would like to subscribe to your journal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

... because the people who create definitions are limited and insecure enough that they impose their own limitations upon the words they define without any consideration of those limitations.  The phrase "insane genius" is close to a redundancy.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

What is the new avatar, if I may ask?

7 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Paricles, isn't it?

Yes, it's a rendition of the bubble-chamber track (done in 1964 at Brookhaven, IIRC) that was the experimental discovery of the Omega-minus baryon.  The particular image is a snip from something here.  The Omega-minus and its properties was predicted from quark theory before it was observed and measured, and it was a brilliant confirmation of the then-relatively-new quark theory.  The Omega-minus is composed of three strange quarks.

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

... because the people who create definitions are limited and insecure enough that they impose their own limitations upon the words they define without any consideration of those limitations.  The phrase "insane genius" is close to a redundancy.

Thanks for the laugh. You should do standup, oh, wait, you’re a lecturer.