Good toys for use with Champions...

Myrlyn

Ok, this may seem silly, but I'm on a hunt for scenery and vehicles for use in my Champions game. A few come readily to mind:

• Heroclix (we all know this one)
    including the Indoor and Outdoor Adventure Packs
  • Matchbox or Hotwheels Cars and Trucks (actually appropriate matches for comparable hex sized vehicles)
  • Fast Lanes (a new line of cars and trucks offered by Toys R Us -less expensive than the above two, and more realistic in my opinion, though scale varies slightly among the vehicles)
    see also some of their construction playsets.

What other toys and playsets have you guys found that fit the Champions 1" Hex scale well for Terrain and Scenery? In particular, I'd be very interested in hearing of any toys that make good team aircraft transports.

Thanks!

Keith

P.S. An interesting side note... Most of the toy cars and trucks mentioned above are actually 1/64 scale. The usual 25-28mm figures are actually much larger than they should be for their hex based measurements. So vehicles that are 1/64th scale are actually mroe likely to be the right size for maps, etc. it seems.

Re: Good toys for use with Champions...

The dollar soldier and rescue sets at most Walmarts. Yes, the guys are usually way too big, but the tanks and rescue vehicles are just about spot on for scale.

Minor rant: What the heck happened to 1/48th scale armor for pete's sake? They used to make it, I have a half converted Renegade Legion Grav tank made from a Jagdpanther to prove it.

Any of the plastic army men sets that come with vehicles *usually* have vehicles that will scale out nicely with 25-33mm minis.

Mage Knight: Dragons if you can still get them. At some point the wings are coming off my blue colored dragon so our Yengtao master can (hopefully) take a shot at the Death Dragon. ;)

Now depending on how much you want to spend, you can get some neat armored stuff from here: http://www.allfrontsarmordepot.homestead.com/ but it would mostly be of use only if you were running an era campaign that saw a lot of tanks floating around. In the same vein: http://www.crusader29.com/ for terrain and some armored bits as well.

Plastic dinosaurs. Two reasons for these. One: Heroes get trapped in the past or JP1000, and then a lesser thought of one.... Two: The heroes fight in a museum right near the big display of dinosaurs. ;) I ran the latter recently with one of those plastic "Build a dino skeleton from an egg" things as the centerpiece and man did it set the mood.

HeroQuest and Heroquest Advanced: LOTS of good knicknacks here including chairs, doors, bookcases, desks, sarcophagi.

But the all time winner for terrain bits: http://www.microtactix.com/ Browse the site and make lots of ooooo and ahhh noises. ;)

What are M.U.S.C.L.E. men? Never hear dof them. Do you have a link?

Little pink guys about an inch or so tall from several years ago. Kind of exotic collection of aliens, monsters, and heroes all dressed up to be pro wrestlers.

There's a PS2 game out called Galactic Wrestling, I believe, that uses the same cast. I can't recall the Japanese name for them, though...

I remember the main bad guy being named Terribull or something...

EDIT- Linkity link... http://www.newellsystems.com/muscle/collecting/collectingfaq.asp

We used a Cthulhu plushie recently.

I have the evil desire to use a Barney the Dinosaur in one of my adventures. A Godzilla sized one.

"I love you, You love me..." as he stomps on buildings. It would be very Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man-ish!

I'm sure your right about the 1/64 scale of the matchbox and hotwheels. (They are overshadowed by the figs.) But those cars cover almost exactly the same size as the car illustrations on the old pre-printed hex maps!

The problem is I can't find any cool aircraft that fit a similar scale that might work as cool transports. I think Matchbox, Hotwheels and Company all jumpt to 1:128 or higher scales for aircraft (designed for kids and all that). Would love to see if I can find some kind of match for a transport... Maybe some Warhammer 40K Tau conversions or something?

Keith

Some assembly required, but when I did modeling in the early 90s Testors had quite a few models at 1:72 scale, which is the same as the 1" hex = 2 m. (or just about). However, the 1:72 models may seem out of place since most miniatures are a slightly larger scale. Otherwise you need to jump to the larger scale (1:48 I think), or use Warhammer stuff. Its be a while since I've done modeling, may have to stop by a hobby store tonight.

Quick check (and someone please correct me if I screwed up my math)

1" hex is 1:78 scale

30mm minis seem to be 1:66.7 scale (the assumption I made is that 30mm:2m)

Yeah, I like those buildings too. I've seen the cardboard PDF downloads for them and they look really great. I figure a little plasticard backing, and they could stand up pretty well, and storeage on a shelf wouldn't be too bad.

Now I just need to find some vehicles for team transports and I'm good to go!

Keith

I don't know if you guys have seen this page yet, but it's by Mark and Doug Shuler of "The Zodiac Conspiracy" from 4e. In addition to having fully converted minis of the Zodiac team, they have some awesome terrain and vehicles. Just check the Gaming Session Pictures in the lower right.

http://home.comcast.net/~chalga/index.htm