TV Teen Titans Writeups

Michael Hopcroft

Re: TV Teen Titans Writeups

Nexus, have you done writeups for the characters from "Winner Take All"? The kids really enjoyed the game thus far, and are interested in the characters from "Winner Take All".

If anyone else has done writeups, I would appreciate seeing them as well!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nexus, have you done writeups for the characters from "Winner Take All"? The kids really enjoyed the game thus far, and are interested in the characters from "Winner Take All".

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten those characters written up. I'm planning on doing Mad Mod, Mammoth, Jinx and Gizmo though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest voodoo54

Does anybody know if Blackfire has any 'real' super powers? The only episode I've seen her in she seemed like her super powers came from an amulet (The episode where she tried to force Starfire to get married). When the amulet was destroyed she seemed like she lost whatever powers it gave her.

Does anybody know if Blackfire has any 'real' super powers? The only episode I've seen her in she seemed like her super powers came from an amulet (The episode where she tried to force Starfire to get married). When the amulet was destroyed she seemed like she lost whatever powers it gave her.

Blackfire is a Tamaranian. Starfire's powers are common, if not to her entire speices, at least to the royal family. persumably her parents have or had the same basic set.

We haven't really explored what it means when all members of particular race have the same super powers, which means that among their race the powers are not "super" at all but part of everyday life. In the DC Universe, this was not really addressed with Superman because on their homeworld Kryptonian's weren't "super" at all (no yellow sun) and there are so few Kryptonians who migrated to Earth. If all Tamaranians have these powers and Starfire isn't all that special among her own people (well, maybe except for her status), one wonders how she ended up on Earth in the first place. pewrhaps it seems odd to Star that all the supers on earth have different powers and that so many humans have no powers at all.

Guest voodoo54

Thanks for the info everybody. Has anybody decided what Raven's powers should be, or is it more or less "you decide because what she does on the show can be simulated by different powers in FRed."

Thanks for the info everybody. Has anybody decided what Raven's powers should be' date=' or is it more or less "you decide because what she does on the show can be simulated by different powers in FRed."[/quote']

I would say she has Teleportation and Desolid by this time in the show.

• 2 months later...

This has certainly been an interesting thread. A friend wants to base her HERO character on Starfire (but with Raven's personality), and was wondering what her stats might be. Our first attempt at building her was based strictly on energy projection, and left out the "tank" part of her, which we need to fix.

After reading through the thread, however, I have to say this:

There is no way Robin could possibly have an 18 STR, or even 15 STR. Robin is a "normal" 15-year old kid. (This is what makes Batman and Robin great, IMO. They have NO superpowers.) Do you honestly think Robin could lift and carry two grown men simultaneously? According to my HERO 5r book, that's what a 15 STR means. I doubt he would even have a 13 STR (lift a refrigerator).

What makes Robin "strong" are his martial arts and acrobatic training, not his actual muscles. In HERO terms, he's a Martial Artist/Gadgeteer.

Cyborg is the muscle-man of the group. He could easily have an 18 STR. But not Robin. He has never had "olympic weightlifter" strength. Not in the comics, and not on the TV show.

Give him Combat Levels, give him Martial skills up the wazoo, even give him HTH KA's. Give him double-knockback (even though that has a stopsign). Heck, a high enough Martial Throw skill will produce the same effect as a 15 STR. But to give him a 15 or 18 STR as a natural characteristic is way too much for this "normal kid." Even full-grown Batman wouldn't have that high a STR. It just doesn't fit the character concept (which is what HERO System is all about.)

Just my 2c worth. ;) Now I gotta go back to the first post and see how I can reduce the Starfire build to 350 pts.

Guest WhammeWhamme

After reading through the thread, however, I have to say this:

There is no way Robin could possibly have an 18 STR, or even 15 STR. Robin is a "normal" 15-year old kid. (This is what makes Batman and Robin great, IMO. They have NO superpowers.) Do you honestly think Robin could lift and carry two grown men simultaneously? According to my HERO 5r book, that's what a 15 STR means. I doubt he would even have a 13 STR (lift a refrigerator).

Actually, I believe that's the limit on what he could move, point blank.

What makes Robin "strong" are his martial arts and acrobatic training, not his actual muscles. In HERO terms, he's a Martial Artist/Gadgeteer.

Cyborg is the muscle-man of the group. He could easily have an 18 STR. But not Robin. He has never had "olympic weightlifter" strength. Not in the comics, and not on the TV show.

Cyborg has way more than 18. But I'm guessing you knew that.

Give him Combat Levels, give him Martial skills up the wazoo, even give him HTH KA's. Give him double-knockback (even though that has a stopsign). Heck, a high enough Martial Throw skill will produce the same effect as a 15 STR. But to give him a 15 or 18 STR as a natural characteristic is way too much for this "normal kid." Even full-grown Batman wouldn't have that high a STR. It just doesn't fit the character concept (which is what HERO System is all about.)

Just my 2c worth. ;) Now I gotta go back to the first post and see how I can reduce the Starfire build to 350 pts.

BATMAN not having STR 15? It's not April the first, right?

Pinnacle of Human Ability kind of thing?

15 STR is about what it takes to support your own body weight with one hand. They can do that.

Actually, Robin, in a recent ep caught and THREW a huge bear man quite a far ways. Not a martial arts attack he caught him and chucked him. So yes, I can see him with a 15 Strength given his obessive training regimene. Robin is hardly "normal" in then sense he's joe avarage 15 year old. He's "normal" in the fact he doesn't have metagene, cybernetics or alien physiology that gives him powers. They all come extensive training.

Actually' date=' Robin, in a recent ep caught and THREW a huge bear man quite a far ways. Not a martial arts attack he caught him and chucked him. So yes, I can see him with a 15 Strength given his obessive training regimene. Robin is hardly "normal" in then sense he's joe avarage 15 year old. He's "normal" in the fact he doesn't have metagene, cybernetics or alien physiology that gives him powers. They all come extensive training.[/quote']

I saw that episode. He picked up the bear, spun the bear over his head, and threw him. I attribute that to a Martial Throw, the picking up and spinning done simply for cartoony-comic effect. ;) (Lifting a grizzly bear requires a 20 STR, according to the book, and that translates to a little under 900 pounds. Still reasonable??)

That kind of thing makes me shudder to think what JLU would be like if it was Animetized the way TT is. :nonp: TT is definitely not a good example for a realistic writeup of these characters. (What can I say, I'm a purist when it come to the comicbooks.)

I saw that episode. He picked up the bear, spun the bear over his head, and threw him. I attribute that to a Martial Throw, the picking up and spinning done simply for cartoony-comic effect. ;) (Lifting a grizzly bear requires a 20 STR, according to the book, and that translates to a little under 900 pounds. Still reasonable??)

That kind of thing makes me shudder to think what JLU would be like if it was Animetized the way TT is. :nonp: TT is definitely not a good example for a realistic writeup of these characters. (What can I say, I'm a purist when it come to the comicbooks.)

Yes but these write are for the TV Teen Titans, not the comic books. :)

He hefted and tossed a grizzly man. Not a shoulder throw, no leverage. He also caught him out of the air.I'd call that a grab and throw. 20 Strength takes 5 points of pushing, nothing for a Superheroic character. Considering that Robin and Batman are supposed to be ultimate in what training can acheive in the setting, I don't have a problem with them having legendary attributes.

The TV Titans regularly outmuscles grown men and borderline superhumans. He's not a "normal kid" IMO and shouldn't be based on those guidelines. YMMV of course and its interpretation in the end. Some peole give Cap A 30 strength and I think thats too high, for example.

(Lifting a grizzly bear requires a 20 STR, according to the book, and that translates to a little under 900 pounds. Still reasonable??)

Martial Throw allows you to throw anyone that you can lift with your pushed strength. As such, a 15 Str Robin would be able to throw a Grizzly that a 25 Str man could lift. IIRC, 25 Str is 800kg, or more than enough to lift the grizzly.

Robin-nitpicks aside, the Starfire writeup has helped a lot. :) I took away her FTL travel power, lowered her Flight a bit, and reduced her DEX to get her down to 350. As the player using her gains XP, she can certainly build her up to what you have. ;)

I'll probably have to change her Hunted disads, though, since Slade and Blackstar don't exist in our GM's game. Maybe the INS will be after her, being an alien, of course. :D

Martial Throw allows you to throw anyone that you can lift with your pushed strength. As such' date=' a 15 Str Robin would be able to throw a Grizzly that a 25 Str man could lift. IIRC, 25 Str is 800kg, or more than enough to lift the grizzly.[/quote']

Even with a 10 STR, he could Martial Throw the bear by Pushing, as I described. ;) 10 STR + 10 Push STR = 20 STR, enough for the grizzly bear.

All I'm saying is, unlike the other members of TT, remember he's still "just" human, and even well-trained humans have limits. For example, even pushing, his legs would snap under the weight of the bear if he were lifting it instead of throwing, as the human femur can only withstand up to about 625 lbs of weight, regardless of training. (Thanks to Mythbusters for that bit of trivia.) The world record squat lift is 1,200 lbs (545kg, about STR 22), just under the limit, and certainly not sustainable.

Yes, it's a cartoon, and yes, he's a superhero. But Batman and Robin are still natural human beings with no powers to explain away normal physics. (Which, as I said, is what makes them great, because they still fight evil, without having any powers.)

Even with a 10 STR, he could Martial Throw the bear by Pushing, as I described. ;) 10 STR + 10 Push STR = 20 STR, enough for the grizzly bear.

All I'm saying is, unlike the other members of TT, remember he's still "just" human, and even well-trained humans have limits. For example, even pushing, his legs would snap under the weight of the bear if he were lifting it instead of throwing, as the human femur can only withstand up to about 625 lbs of weight, regardless of training. (Thanks to Mythbusters for that bit of trivia.) The world record squat lift is 1,200 lbs (545kg, about STR 22), just under the limit, and certainly not sustainable.

Yes, it's a cartoon, and yes, he's a superhero. But Batman and Robin are still natural human beings with no powers to explain away normal physics. (Which, as I said, is what makes them great, because they still fight evil, without having any powers.)

If we limited them to what "just humans' are able to do in the real world, then they would have been dead several times ago. Apparently this "normal" 15 year old boys has a greater mastery of most sciences than most dedicated thinkers, knowns several MAs greater than their highest masters (he's skilled enough to easily best them) and it a consummate detective. Those limits on strength as propose, he wouldn't be able to strike nearly as powerfully as he apparently can, nor move as fast as he does. They are "just" human as a special effect. Hero is cinematic game and allows for cinematic displays. TT Robin with a 15 Strength, or Batman with a 20+ is cinematic. Normal characteristic maxima isn't a hard limit. Its just a point where it become increasely rare.

Robin violates normal physics and understanding as much as any of the other TT. His special effect is just different.

I'm I mistaken or did the "human max" get raised to 30 in the latest Champions? I could have sworn that that was the absolute pinnacle of human perfection now.

You are correct. In *CHAMPIONS*, the superheroic genre book, human max is now 30, but pretty much only heroes and villians ever go above 20.

In other words, in the official Champions U a Dex of 28 can just be attributed to fanatical training, but a Dex of 32 implies superhuman powers.

Of course, that only applies to Champions. Wuxia, Anime, Dune Hero and such may have other limits.

Makes superhuman dex and spd something of a rarity.

I go with 20 max but characters like bats can exceed, it is a supers game after all.

I let all my players have bricks with dex 30 spd 7, after all its not "super" and they do have enhanced physiques. Funnily enoughtno one plays MAs or speesters anymore

I always consider 20 the limit for humans with 21-30 saved for people on the peek of ability. Captain America, Batman, Doc Savage ... all these people exist in this range. People like Robin, Bucky and even Crimebuster don't get beyond 20 in my eyes ... at least not yet ;)

Guest WhammeWhamme

I always consider 20 the limit for humans with 21-30 saved for people on the peek of ability. Captain America' date=' Batman, Doc Savage ... all these people exist in this range. People like Robin, Bucky and even Crimebuster don't get beyond 20 in my eyes ... at least not yet ;)[/quote']

Hrm. Robin should probably be up there in DEX, at least in TTT, because he's quicker/more agile than BB, who should be able to break 20 with his power.

Plus it's his one area of utmost expertise.

20 is still the point where you start paying double for the stats when you take NCM, so 20 isn't a true 'max' :)

About Beast Boy.

Shouldn't he have shapeshift outside of the VPP?

I was working on an idea for Beast Boy the other day, without useing a VPP..using a Multipower with M instead of U slots. The idea was he could combine the various powers in the MP to get the 'stats' of the animal (had things like Growth, Shrinking, HA, HKA, flight, etc). And I wondered if I even needed to take Shapeshift..if I defined the MP 'special effects' as changing his shape..(ie. to Grow with all 60pts in the MP, he had to change into a T-Rex or something). That idea probably isn't right tho :(

Would beast boy get a limitation for his shapeshifting since he remains green at all times? He can change into any animal (and bugs..he's turned into a fly before and an ameoba), but he's always green.

Also, I think his shapeshifting is a 0-phase action...He jumps and in mid-flight changes shape. He gets a rock thrown at him and he changes into a snake to wrap around the rock instantly. I really dont' see that takinging a 1/2 phase.

Anyway, very good thread..I actually read threw both pages (I often lose intrest in a thread by mid-way thru the 1st page!)