13 PD 7
10 ED 6
5 SPD 10
10 REC 0
50 END 7
40 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM06" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 168

Cost Power END
87 Unbridled Joy of Flight: Flight 30", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (87 Active Points) 3
28 Space Traveler rom a Distant Sun: Faster-Than-Light Travel (1 Light Years/day) 0
15 Righteous Fury: +15 STR 1
15 Alien Toughness: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED/10 Flash Def.) 0
18 Life Support (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) 0
60 Star Bolts: Multipower, 60-point reserve
6u 1) Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points) 6
6u 2) Sight Group Flash 12d6 (60 Active Points) 6
6u 3) Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points) 6
Powers Cost: 241

Cost Skill
3 Language: English (fluent conversation; literate)
0 Language: Tamaranian (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
3 Acrobatics 15-
5 Accurate Sprayfire
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Combat Flying 15-
5 Cramming
3 High Society (Tamaranian) 13-
3 Teamwork 15-
Skills Cost: 28

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 449

Val Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Features: Orange Skin (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Enraged: When friends injured (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-
25 Hunted: Slade 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Blackfire 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20 Physical Limitation: Has great Difficulty Understanding Earth Culture (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)
20 Psychological Limitation: In love with Robin (Very Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Determined to Belong (Very Common, Strong)
25 Social Limitation: Duty to Teen Titans (Very Frequently, Severe)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 99

Total Experience Available: 99

Experience Unspent: 0

Some notes: Star is a bit expensive for a beginning superhero. The "unfamilakirt with Earth culture" limitation relfects her general naivete and the difficulty she has dealing with human foibles -- thus it's probably even more limtiing than the points say it shoudl be. Although it usually played for laughs (mustard as a beverage, accientally eating a ball of cotton) it can cause serious problems, especially in her dealing with the other Titans.

Tamaranian is her native language and culture -- that's why she gets tamaranian for no points.

There are some things about Star that I couldn't quite write up in the rules -- like how she could go without air in space but not underwater. I suppose it was useful for dramatic purpoises that Star can't breathe underwater in an episode that put Beast Boy in the spotlight.

Star has not admitted to being in love with Robin, but there are too anay indications to list -- most notable her flustered (when Blackifre flirts with Robin) and violent (when Kitten forces Robin to date her) jealousy over him. In many respects this version of Starfire has as much in common with Lum, the heroine of Urusei Yatsura, as with her comic book inspiration.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: TV Teen Titans Writeups

Nice write up! I am curious about why the 30 dex for Starfire? Robin I could understand with with a very high base dex. TV Starfire I could put a little lower and give her CSLs with her Starbolts. She's hasn't struck me as being that naturally agile outside of combat (or even really that accurate though that could be the law of cartoon violence coming into the play). The point total came out high, but Starfire is easily one of the more powerful members of the TV Teen Titans. I expect Raven will be somewhat costly as well. Overall, I really like it and can't wait to see more.

Nice write up! I am curious about why the 30 dex for Starfire? Robin I could understand with with a very high base dex. TV Starfire I could put a little lower and give her CSLs with her Starbolts. She's hasn't struck me as being that naturally agile outside of combat (or even really that accurate though that could be the law of cartoon violence coming into the play). The point total came out high' date=' but Starfire is easily one of the more powerful members of the TV Teen Titans. I expect Raven will be somewhat costly as well. Overall, I really like it and can't wait to see more.[/quote']

Robin's base DEX will probably be even higher. Star got such a high Dex mainly so that she can be very hard to hit. She's been able to avoid virtual barrages from Blackfire.

If anything, Star may be too cheap. I should have added another shot to her Starbolts for an Autofire attack.

One character I have not figured out how to write up is Beast Boy. Usually Multiform requires a set of forms you can shift into. the set for beast boy is "Any animal who has ever lived anywhere". He could probably shift into an alien animal if he knew what it looked like and how it fucntioned.

VPP just for Multiforms?

Shapeshift with a VPP for Growth, shrinking and other "animal powers" based on form?

Edit:Personal opinion only, I would have put Starfire in the 15-18 Dex range (more leaning toward 18) and used her as the baseline to comparing everyone else. She'd have some csls with her starbolt multi and some flight levels, The television Teen Titans seem to be the poster boys for the 350-400 point range characters.

One character I have not figured out how to write up is Beast Boy. Usually Multiform requires a set of forms you can shift into. the set for beast boy is "Any animal who has ever lived anywhere". He could probably shift into an alien animal if he knew what it looked like and how it fucntioned.

In a recent episode the Titans go to Tamaran and he encounters a giant bulldog lizard looking thing. Later in the episode he becomes that animal to scare off some guards. When asked by Raven, "How'd you know you could do that?" His reply, "I didn't." Looks like Beast Boy can become any animal he has seen/interacted with. He is definitely my fave character on that show.

A player of mine (Whitewings on the board) brought up an interesting point. Starfire on the TV show has been been shown to required to breathe. At least underwater and seem to be subject to tempature extremes. Teen Titans is a very "cartoony" show and as such is a bit less consistent than even its comic book source material, a possible explaination (also Whitewing's idea) is that Tamaranian's draw on Solar and stellar radiation when in space for life support something which Starfire would have limited acess too underwater.

Any animal, even bacteria as it turns out.

I figured that the reason the TV Titans weren't statted was because it's virtually impossible ... since Titans is a comedy series rather than an adventure series (like JL/JLU). It doesn't try to be logical, consistent, or rational ... and while most shows, comics, or cartoons have some problems with that, Titans is more like strapping a cape on Bugs Bunny than converting comics characters to animation, or some of the really old goofball superhero cartoons that Hanna-Barbera put out in the 60s and 70s like The Impossibles, Super Globetrotters or Hong Kong Phooey.

I mean, we'd need to give a couple of them '+30 Presence, linked to Growth: Only affects the head and voice'. Accursed anime.

• 3 weeks later...

Beastboy

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
15 DEX 15
16 CON 12
10 BODY 0
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
12 PRE 2
12 COM 1
10 PD 8
8 ED 5
4 SPD 15
5 REC 0
32 END 0
30 STUN 7
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 65

Cost Power END
147 Changeling Powers: Variable Power Pool, 80 base + 67 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (180 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available:Multiforms into various animals Limited (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 147

Cost Skill
3 Persuasion 11-
1 Mechanics 8-
3 Computer Programming 11-
4 KS: Animals 13-
4 +2 with any Strike
3 Combat Piloting (The T Jet) 12-
2 Navigation (Marine) 11-
Skills Cost: 20

Total Character Cost: 232

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: In any form he is bright green (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Slade 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Mental Powers (Common)
5 Unluck: 1d6
15 Psychological Limitation: Loves Animals and is protective of them (Common; Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Prankster (Common; Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Notes: This is just a preliminary write up for Beastboy as seen in the Teen Titans Cartoon series. As the designated “comedy†relief for the team he hasn’t demonstrated allot of ability or skill compared to the rest of the Titans. Also I am fairly low power GM so I erred on the side of caution when stating him out. Basically Beastboy can assume ANY animal form, even extinct or alien animals (he has to know about them) and seems to get all their ability with few of their weaknesses. He has, for example, assumed marine forms on land without suffering for it. His disads are little scant as well, but actually come out so he had more points than I spent in this write up. Comments welcome.

Raven

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
18 DEX 24
17 CON 14
10 BODY 0
15 INT 5
23 EGO 26
20 PRE 10
18 COM 4
8/18 PD 6
8/18 ED 5
4 SPD 12
5 REC 0
40 END 3
35 STUN 11
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 120

Cost Power END
7 Hard to Scare: +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Defensive only Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)
56 Soul Self: Telekinesis (40 STR), Fine Manipulation (70 Active Points); Cannot Directly affect living things Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4) 7
40 Soul Merge: Telepathy 8d6 4
14 Raven Avatar: Mind Scan 8d6 (40 Active Points); Extra Time 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Concentration 1/2 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (-1/2) 4
50 Soul Sheild: Force Wall (10 PD/10 ED) 5
25 Soul Sheild 2: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (25 Active Points) 1
36 Raven Avatar: Flight 18" 4
81 Soul Form: Teleportation 20", Position Shift, x4 Increased Mass, x8 Noncombat, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (81 Active Points) 8
30 Soul Form 2: Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (30 Active Points) 3
Powers Cost: 339

Cost Skill
3 Combat Piloting (The T Jet) 13-
5 Interrogation 14-
4 KS: The Magical World 13-
3 Power (EGO-based) 14-
3 PS: Meditation (EGO-based) 14-
4 SS: Occultism (INT-based) 13-
9 +3 with Soul Powers
Skills Cost: 31

Total Character Cost: 490

Val Disadvantages
10 Physical Limitation: Need focusing techniques when she uses her full powers (Gestures or incantations) (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)
10 Physical Limitation: Must meditate daily to keep her powers under control (Infrequently; Greatly Impairing)
10 Physical Limitation: Powers tend to misfire when she feels strong emotion (Infrequently; Greatly Impairing)
20 Psychological Limitation: Cold and aloof by nessecity (Very Common; Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: "Goth" (Uncommon; Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Embarrased by her own emotions (Common; Strong)
15 Hunted: Slade 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Her Father 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
10 Distinctive Features: Beautiful young Goth girl (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 115

Experience Required: 175

Total Experience Available: 175

Notes: I am not happy with this conversion of Raven. She’s a problematic character as her powers seem to change most during the course of the show. The biggest example would be her need to incant or gesture when she uses her powers. It seems to be related to the amount of power/control she wishes to exert. I decided to make it a physical limitation on her abilities for now until I can find a more elegant solution. Comments welcome.

Notes: This is just a preliminary write up for Beastboy as seen in the Teen Titans Cartoon series. As the designated “comedy†relief for the team he hasn’t demonstrated allot of ability or skill compared to the rest of the Titans. Also I am fairly low power GM so I erred on the side of caution when stating him out. Basically Beastboy can assume ANY animal form, even extinct or alien animals (he has to know about them) and seems to get all their ability with few of their weaknesses. He has, for example, assumed marine forms on land without suffering for it. His disads are little scant as well, but actually come out so he had more points than I spent in this write up. Comments welcome.

I think Biast Boy is a lot more powerful than you seem to believe it is. His sheer versatility is unmatched -- with his ability to assume any animal form he can think of he becomes a fighter who you never know what wilkl do next -- and he uses his unpreduicatbility to great effect, incluidng his "team clown" act. Even if it is bright green, nothing is more intimidating than having a T-Rex look you suqare in the eye.

His "protective of Anilals" disad doesn;t provide as much conflict as his rather agressive vegetariansim. He has been known to cook breakfast for the entire tem and not tell them what is in their food. He loves tofu and will turn it into anything.

edven i his human form, beast Boy is extremely distinctive with his green skin and obvious fangs. He is also concieted beyond belief, believing himself to be incredibly humouru\ous, charming and attractive while most people view him as simply odd. His constant joking conceals the disatance he feels from people -- and the one person outside the original Titans he did try to get close to ended up betraying the entire team.

There is evidence that he is storngly attracted to Raven, and he certaionly constantly tries to balance her dour mood with his own light spirits. But they have in common that they both have secrets (BB's has not been rveealed yet) that cause them inner pain. Can you say "overcomepnsation? I knew you could.

I think Biast Boy is a lot more powerful than you seem to believe it is. His sheer versatility is unmatched -- with his ability to assume any animal form he can think of he becomes a fighter who you never know what wilkl do next -- and he uses his unpreduicatbility to great effect, incluidng his "team clown" act. Even if it is bright green, nothing is more intimidating than having a T-Rex look you suqare in the eye.

The Multiform pool allows him allot of flexibility in his forms. Beastboy does tend to be one of the first taken out/least effective in the team battles. He tends to assume about the same forms (T-rex, wolf, gorilla) but his power when he get creative is useful. When he gets mad and starts taking things seriously, his effectiveness increases but I felt that was more a role playing matter.

His "protective of Anilals" disad doesn;t provide as much conflict as his rather agressive vegetariansim. He has been known to cook breakfast for the entire tem and not tell them what is in their food. He loves tofu and will turn it into anything.

I rolled his vegetarianism into his Protective of animals as one stems from the other.

edven i his human form, beast Boy is extremely distinctive with his green skin and obvious fangs. He is also concieted beyond belief, believing himself to be incredibly humouru\ous, charming and attractive while most people view him as simply odd. His constant joking conceals the disatance he feels from people -- and the one person outside the original Titans he did try to get close to ended up betraying the entire team.

I agree. His DF is for every form.

There is evidence that he is storngly attracted to Raven, and he certaionly constantly tries to balance her dour mood with his own light spirits. But they have in common that they both have secrets (BB's has not been rveealed yet) that cause them inner pain. Can you say "overcomepnsation? I knew you could.

I haven't picked up an attracted to Raven vibe from Beastboy. He seems like he wants to cheer her up and doesn't under her dour attitude at all and generally wants people to like him.

Raven

Notes: I am not happy with this conversion of Raven. She’s a problematic character as her powers seem to change most during the course of the show. The biggest example would be her need to incant or gesture when she uses her powers. It seems to be related to the amount of power/control she wishes to exert. I decided to make it a physical limitation on her abilities for now until I can find a more elegant solution. Comments welcome.

My immediate reactions:

- There must be a way to roll all those "problems with emotions" limits together a little more cleanly. As it is she is getting 4 limits for the same problem.

How about "Accidental Change: under extreme duress or failure to meditate" and combine it with "Psych Lim: Afraid of strong emotions". This also has the advantage of reflecting the nastiness that crops up if she does lose it.

Cold and alof probably qualifies all by itself.

- Add her gestures and incantations to her Soul Power skill levels and drop the Phys Lim. She can pull the powers out anytime she needs, but concen/gestures when she needs to be precise.

- Ranen's powers fit the classic requirements for an Elemental Control. They all cost End, and all can be negated at once if her magical abilites are attacked.

I would improve her blind teleport, roll her force fields together, then put everything into a 20 point EC

- She can, and does, use her Dark soul powers to make PRE attacks. She usually doesn't, but it comes up often enough that I would drop the defensive PRE and just up her base to 30 or so.

- Raven consistantly uses her Dark powers to block enemies in hand to hand. She calls up small swaths of darkness that a skilled fighter can get past. I would give her +3 with block and call it "darkness block"

Funny, but I can't remember an example of TV Raven teleporting... :fear: help me out? And I could swear that she entangles (or grabs) Slade's feet directly with her power in the final battle of "Apprentice, pt 2". Though I suppose I could've missed something in all the action.

Raven powers that seem to be missing,

desolidification she often passes through walls and floors maybe ditch the teleport and have flight and desolid usable by other instead.

She also has darkness and possibly clairsentience but that might just be her lurking in the wall using her desolid to peer out.

Funny' date=' but I can't remember an example of TV Raven teleporting... :fear: help me out? And I could swear that she entangles (or grabs) Slade's feet directly with her power in the final battle of "Apprentice, pt 2". Though I suppose I could've missed something in all the action.[/quote']

She seems to occasionally sinks into one shadow, only to reappear instantly out of another shadow. There are subtle hints that it might be teleport and she doesn't seem to be on the other side of the wall on the rare times that the immediately blast through the wall. In any case, it seems to be short-distance effect.

I figured that the reason the TV Titans weren't statted was because it's virtually impossible ... since Titans is a comedy series rather than an adventure series (like JL/JLU). It doesn't try to be logical, consistent, or rational ... and while most shows, comics, or cartoons have some problems with that, Titans is more like strapping a cape on Bugs Bunny than converting comics characters to animation, or some of the really old goofball superhero cartoons that Hanna-Barbera put out in the 60s and 70s like The Impossibles, Super Globetrotters or Hong Kong Phooey.

I mean, we'd need to give a couple of them '+30 Presence, linked to Growth: Only affects the head and voice'. Accursed anime.

That's my opinion. You don't use HERO to convert that show.

You use TOON. :D

JG

Granted, its the 'future' but in the episode that Starfire gets flung into the future, when Raven rejoins the team you see the black telekinesis and then a raven shadow hugs the floor and she rises from that shadow. I don't remember the episode, but one of the current season she teleports the entire cast into their target (it might have been Red-X) and she has teleported several other times. The teleport always has the shadow of a raven and she seems to step out of it.

I think Raven is my favorite member of the team in the TV Show.

Raven absolutely teleports, they just don't make a big deal about it.

If you watch closely, she is often seen rising out of a shadow to enter a scene. I would agree that it is very short range, and probably takes extra time as well, which is why she doesn't use it in combat.

My immediate reactions:

- There must be a way to roll all those "problems with emotions" limits together a little more cleanly. As it is she is getting 4 limits for the same problem.

How about "Accidental Change: under extreme duress or failure to meditate" and combine it with "Psych Lim: Afraid of strong emotions". This also has the advantage of reflecting the nastiness that crops up if she does lose it.

Cold and alof probably qualifies all by itself.

- Add her gestures and incantations to her Soul Power skill levels and drop the Phys Lim. She can pull the powers out anytime she needs, but concen/gestures when she needs to be precise.

- Ranen's powers fit the classic requirements for an Elemental Control. They all cost End, and all can be negated at once if her magical abilites are attacked.

I would improve her blind teleport, roll her force fields together, then put everything into a 20 point EC

- She can, and does, use her Dark soul powers to make PRE attacks. She usually doesn't, but it comes up often enough that I would drop the defensive PRE and just up her base to 30 or so.

- Raven consistantly uses her Dark powers to block enemies in hand to hand. She calls up small swaths of darkness that a skilled fighter can get past. I would give her +3 with block and call it "darkness block"

Good suggestions, I'll incorporate some of them into the revised write up.