AVENGERS DISASSEMBLED opinions

Vigil

Hey All,

I was wondering what the general feelings were on the current Avengers Disassembled storyline. As a long time (30+ years) fan of The Avengers, I've just about seen it all but this tory seems to reek of Dark Age cynicism, self indulgence and contrivance (as you can probably tell I'm not a fan of the story). On the other hand it's some of the best Avengers art I've seen in a long while. So, let me know what you all think of it. Is it a good thing for the assemblers? Bad? Do you think the new line up looks good (and just who id the silver haired guy behind Wolverine...it looks like Cable but may be a muscley Quicksilver)? I'm curious as to people thoughts.

Vigil

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: AVENGERS DISASSEMBLED opinions

The silver-haired guy is Sentry. He's more powerful than the rest of that lineup combined. In fact, if you combine the powers of the rest of the upcoming Avengers lineup and multiply it by a factor of a few dozen, he's *still* out of their class.

So far I'm not fond of this book. I generally like Bendis' stuff - particularly on ALIAS and DAREDEVIL - so I was willing to give him benefit of doubt, but so far this one is mega-sucking. He's picking all the wrong notes on Hank Pym, he's having the Avengers act like petulent whiners and I really don't like the general concept. I'm sticking with it to see what happens, but I'm not getting good vibes.

Re: Already posted this in the NGD, but what the heck...

I think this fan has managed, through clever use of toys, to capture the very spirit of it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~fanboyprime/avengers/

I am at work and my coworkers thought that was pretty fun too. I do not read the Avengers anymore. Stopped quite some time ago but seeing as everyone is bitching about this story I might just pick it up.

My favorite arc of Avengers was when Spider-Man was invited to join and he accepted. It only lasted for six issues or so, but it was cool. The unwritten rule of no Spidey in Avengers needed to be broken. He's great by himself, but he's great on a team too. Why can't we have both? Does anyone know the lineup of the New Avengers? Isn't Sentry a mass murderer on the side as the Void? And how did he remember again?

My favorite arc of Avengers was when Spider-Man was invited to join and he accepted. It only lasted for six issues or so' date=' but it was cool. The unwritten rule of no Spidey in Avengers needed to be broken. He's great by himself, but he's great on a team too. Why can't we have both? Does anyone know the lineup of the New Avengers? Isn't Sentry a mass murderer on the side as the Void? And how did he remember again?[/quote']

The new line up, IIRC is going to be

Captain America (Can't picture the team without him myself)

Iron Man (I've heard some say it may not be Stark, but I believe it's going to be)

Spider-Man (Like you, I don't mind this one. I think it's a new direction for Peter to grow in)

Spider-Woman, the original, Jessica Drew (One of the reasons I am actually tempted to pick up this book. I used to read her comics way back when)

Sentry (Who I didn't know about until others were kind enough to fill me in)

Luke Cage (I have a hard time visualizing him without Iron Fist, but hey)

Wolverine (The one problem I really have. Not what I'd call Avengers material, and already in what, 3 X teams? Where will he find the time)

I pretty much spewed all my venom in the NGD forum about this topic. But I won't let that stop me from recapping!...

I think that it's a meaningless chain of over the top events thrown together to simulate a huge calamity. In short, it's lazy writing. Rather than come up with a real means to restructure the Avengers, they're going to take random potshots using the biggest means possible to destroy characters that, frankly, don't need to be destroyed.

No one out there would be disappointed if they simply had favored characters walk away! Just take the time and write up a good reason. Maybe have ONE death that meant something to everyone and have the team crumble. There is no need to crush and demoralize them with eighteen individual events, each of which is worse than any event that has happened to the Avengers in the past. It cheapens them and it cheapens each previous event.

It's bombast over substance. I had the latest issue in my hand, willing to hang on until the final issue, but after I perused it I put it back on the shelf. I decided if I buy it in an attempt to see things through to the end then I'm only encouraging them to write CRAP.

Isn't Sentry the guy from the mini-series (that I never read, lol)? As for the line up, from what I can tell, as of Isuue #1 of The New Avengers (wasn't that a BBC series? and what the hell is it with all of these relaunches anyway? I thought they'd outgrown that crap. ), the roster is: Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider Man, Spider Woman (Jessica Drew), Luke Cage and Sentry. But it seems that that line up lasts for one issue since it looks like there's a new member who looks like Bug from The Micronauts in high tech armor as of isuue 2. I agree with the tone of the postings here...I think the story is gratuitous and cynical and compleltey a writers vanity. It's so Brian Michael Bendis can say, "Yeah, well I killed The Avengers. How cool is that?". Right from Powers on I knew this guy was a hack. Unfortuantely, now he's a dangerous hack. And I can see no good coming from it. As for The Captain Britain storyline, I never eally liked it and she really didn't seem to fit (since when are novice heroes, right out of the box, invited into The Earth's Mightiest Heroes?, kinda makes a joke of The Avengers elite status). Given that she's nowhere in sight on the next couple of covers, I assume she's killed in the next issue. So much for that idea.

Vigil

Re: Already posted this in the NGD, but what the heck...

I think this fan has managed, through clever use of toys, to capture the very spirit of it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~fanboyprime/avengers/

Okay, that was much more entertaining - and made much more sense - than has been the case with AVENGERS DISSEMBLED to this point... and the dialogue was at least as in-character for the Avengers, if not more so.

My favorite arc of Avengers was when Spider-Man was invited to join and he accepted. It only lasted for six issues or so' date=' but it was cool. The unwritten rule of no Spidey in Avengers needed to be broken. He's great by himself, but he's great on a team too. Why can't we have both? Does anyone know the lineup of the New Avengers? Isn't Sentry a mass murderer on the side as the Void? And how did he remember again?[/quote']

As for Sentry, no but his ultimate foe was his own shadow or something. If he remembered more about himself this shadow thing would show up and make his life and everyone else's life hell. So he deleted his memories & the worlds memories of him with Mr. Fantastic's help. No problem. He must have remembered a bit more again.

I just checked the link. It was great. way better than the actual Disassembled storyline and way better written.

Wasn't the Sentry mini written by Grant Morrision or some similar overhyped hack? I remember reading the first couple of pages and hating it.

In other news, what happened to Thor. Of all the Disassembled storie it was the only interesting and readable one with really good art...and now he's being cancelled. I guess the quality was just too good for the editors to allow it to continue. Go figure.

Anyone know who the green bug guy in battle armor on the cover of issue 2 is?

Vigil

I just checked the link. It was great. way better than the actual Disassembled storyline and way better written.

Wasn't the Sentry mini written by Grant Morrision or some similar overhyped hack? I remember reading the first couple of pages and hating it.

In other news, what happened to Thor. Of all the Disassembled storie it was the only interesting and readable one with really good art...and now he's being cancelled. I guess the quality was just too good for the editors to allow it to continue. Go figure.

Anyone know who the green bug guy in battle armor on the cover of issue 2 is?

Vigil

Paul Jenkins wrote the SENTRY mini. Jae Lee pencilled it. Good book, really, but questionable as an Avengers.

Thor was selling like horribly. Marvel could have made a Justin Timberlake comic and sold more copies than they were selling of THOR.

I haven't seen the buy guy.

Yup, money over artistry. Thor would have only made a proper resurgence with a big "Thor" name at the helm. Someone like Simonson, where people would get all nostalgic. Is Walt Simonson still around? Haven't seen anything from him in a long time. I got nostalgic for him yesterday when I was rereading a Sin City TPB and in the back was a picture he'd done for the gallery of some of the Sin City characters; His and Mignola's were so distinctive you didn't need the artist's name on them to know who did them.

Excellent! I saw it on the shelf but didn't even pick it up. I'd burned out on Elric years ago when one of my players kept making different versions of him for every game I ran ;)

Give it a shot. The art is simply beautiful.

For the record, Simonson has been asked - several times - to do another run on THOR, but has refused, saying he really didn't have any more stories to tell with the character.

He later did an excellent run on an Orion/New Gods book which, unfortunately, was bought by only about eleven people. Best version of those characters anyone other than Jack Kirby has ever done.

The dissasembled storyline is somewhat annoying, as others mentioned - needless violence for an "Ending" of the Avengers. However, that does seem to happen to the avengers on a regular basis (about every 100 issues or so). Heroes Reborn/Return. The MoE invading the mansion. Each cataclysmic event leads to a new team. So it may be much "moreso" than previous iterations, but it is not completely out of the blue.

As for the new line up, yeah.. wolverine could be annoying, but I see a lot of great interpersonal dialoge and development possibilities, so I hope for the best.