Millenium City

keithcurtis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Nato

Woot! I got my copy in the mail today today. I've been reading the playtest copy for a while and it's been a fun read. Good work Darren. Lot's of great work by my fellow artists too. I think a lot of folks will enjoy this book.

Hey Keith, I dug your pic in the beginning of the book with the guy panning for gold. Nice job.

Thanks! I have to admit, everytime I open up a comp copy of a new book, my joy at seeing my stuff in print is always tempered by awe and envy of everybody else in the book.

Keith "Why could't I have done that?" Curtis

Send youre checks to me! I'm hoarding copies to drive the price up.

Actually reading a copy right now...no wait, I'm typing now... but a second after I say that again I will actually be reading it. Here goes.

I'm reading a copy right now...

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Thanks! I have to admit, everytime I open up a comp copy of a new book, my joy at seeing my stuff in print is always tempered by awe and envy of everybody else in the book.

Keith "Why could't I have done that?" Curtis

Dude, I feel the same way. Glad I ain't the only one. :) I console myself in the fact that I can use that as motivation to get better and improve my own artwork.

Minor Review

First, let me both say Thanks for the great book and apologize for the fact that I'm not using it as a whole. I've put a lot of time into my own city and will continue to use it. Having said that, there's lots of goodness here for someone looking to disassemble and transplant.

Turns out I can use all of the locations, many of the NPCs, the villains, the Police Department, some of the mafia. The districts are analogous to ones I have in my city, so there are things there I can use. The only thing that gets left behind with this approach is some of the rich history, which is well written but inappropriate to my very youthful city without such a storied past.

Great book. I'm trying to think of things it could have used... and off the top of my head, I can't think of anything.

Nice job :D Very useful.

Looking forward to the UNTIL DB too. Then maybe I can get my lazy heroes in gear.

Am I the only one to have noticed the highly ironic last line of page 2, under "A word or two of appreciation"? It says, quote,

"We'd like to thank the Digital Hero playtesters and testreaders who reviewed the Millenium City manuscript. Their help spotting typos,"

.... Yep, that's where it ends! Guess the last line or 2 was accidently cut off. Or maybe it was an intentional joke? Either way, I laughed when I saw it!

Yes, I thought that was funny myself.

Hey, check out the street names on the city map. There's some cool street names.I particulary like the road that the college is on, Barnes Blvd.

Oh, that reminds me. Am I going crazy or is the key missing some location numbers on it?

Yes, I thought that was funny myself.

Hey, check out the street names on the city map. There's some cool street names.I particulary like the road that the college is on, Barnes Blvd.

I wonder where Barnes came from? The main developer of Heromaker was Steve Barnes.

Lay off Seeker!

Originally posted by keithcurtis

No time to say much now, but suffice to say that page 52 will generate more board traffic than any other page in a DoJ product. And whose hands are those committing the heinous act? My guess: Steve Long's. :)

Keith "Mr. Cryptic" Curtis

:( I couldn't believe it when I saw that. Like a lot of people, I thought Seeker was a somewhat goofy take on a martial artist. But he grew on me when I read Watchers of the Dragon. Seeker turned out to be a pretty thoughtful person who carried on the tradition of laughing at danger to avoid being overwhelmed by the seriousness of a situation. Seeker in WotD is a testament to how The Ultimate Martial Artist can be used to flesh out and expand an otherwise bland set of powers and skills.

I don't mean to jump on a soapbox, but seeing the expression on Seeker's face reminded me of Warren Ellis' trashing of The Avengers in The Authority. Come on. If you write for a genre you hate and plan on slamming it, at least do it with some class! But I digress...

Seeker should either be written out of the official Champions Universe and never be mentioned again or allowed to die with dignity.

Seeker is not actually a part of the Champions Universe this time around as I'm sure you are aware. He is now only mentioned as a ficticous character in a Champions comic book, which is mainly an inside joke for longtime Hero fans. I wouldn't take it as a jab at Seeker, or take it too seriously for that matter.

:)

Two words: Seeker Lives!

OK, he's been 'reduced' to an inside joke. But I have WotD, and while I haven't looked closely, I'll bet that minimal changes would be necessary to upgrade him to 5th. (Adding some Combat Luck is the first thing that comes to mind.) So, in my campaign, Seeker continues his quest for the Truth.

Heh, how do we even KNOW that the man being strangled is Seeker? We just assume. Maybe those hands belong to SEEKER!?! Maybe he is fated to become a ruthless strangler!

:) Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed the numerous Seeker parodies posted on the boards over the years. It's just that I don't associate a character like him with the gritty(often an excuse for mindless sadism), modern graphic novel. My first thought on seeing that fake cover was that Seeker was getting the Authority treatment. I'm glad that's not the case.

BTW, I thought the panoramic artwork in The Authority was wonderful and I enjoyed the Transmetropolitan and Planetary collections I've read so I'm not just bashing Warren Ellis!:D