Trolling for suggestions, 1982-style.

Darren Watts

Re: Trolling for suggestions, 1982-style.

There's a psychotic deformed mountain man living at Camp Crystal Lake in New Jersey (though Part 2 comes out in 1981 or so, it was set "5 years" after the first movie--which took place in 1979--so nobody would have heard about this guy yet).

Young David Kessler and his friend are attacked by a madman in Northern England. Kessler survives, only to apparently lose his sanity one month later while he was in London, recovering from his injuries. He is shot and killed by police, and reports of a large vicious dog circulate in the papers.

Anchorwoman Karen White meets with "Eddie", a serial killer who has murdered several people in the LA area. After recovering from his attack, she travels to a secluded getaway known as "the Colony". Weeks later, a fire destroys most of the Colony and kills many residents. Karen's final broadcast is cut off by an apparent hoax played by some of the television crew.

You know, considering that the psycho killer has been described as a 'modern werewolf' (5th Ed. GURPS HORROR), and with the Howling and AWIL, I do wonder -- what game reason would there be for werewolves to become so active in the 80's? Emerging latent mutation? Experimentation by the Evil Government or Corporate Lab du jour? Or was that 80's Doctor Moreau engaging in some work on the side?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know' date=' considering that the psycho killer has been described as a 'modern werewolf' (5th Ed. GURPS HORROR), and with the Howling and AWIL, I do wonder -- what game reason would there be for werewolves to become so active in the 80's? Emerging latent mutation? Experimentation by the Evil Government or Corporate Lab du jour? Or was that 80's Doctor Moreau engaging in some work on the side?[/quote']

Latent mutations starting to surface as a result of an ingredient in Coke and exposiure to radiation from video games. It's why, in the later part of the 1980's, they switched to "New Coke" to remove the mutatgen agent. After they isolated the agent, they removed it from Coke and brought back "Coke Classic".

Could be true, but it makes for one heck of a good "crack-pot theory". :)

Champsguy already mentioned it - John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) would make a perfect bad guy IMO. If we posit that after the events of the film, the life form reaches civilisation then our heroes will have their hands full. Might be too dark, though.

The Terminator (1984) would be a good bad guy. The Kurgan from Highlander (1986) might be a bit too late for the period. Jeff Goldblum turned into a fly-monster the same year.

What about the bad guys from the film Scanners (1983)?

If there's room, you could fit in a reference to the zombie-beseiged town from the Fog (1980).

Gads! :shock: Are you saying that Timothy Dalton was better liked than Rodger Moore?!?

My wife is a huge Bond fan and she has two boxed sets. I never really watched any Bond movies before I married here. I've seen 14 out of 20 now and I have to say that Timothy Dalton is pretty good and his two movies were both decent. Roger Moore was ok too, but his movies sucked. Guess I'm wierd.

Speaking of werewolves...

In 1982, Remus Lupin is fresh from the war against Voldemort. With two of his best friends dead and the third in prison for their murder, and harboring a secret that would make him an outcast in the Wizarding World, he has nothing better to do than work for a mysterious government agency as an expert on the occult. (Obviously, not a well-paying government agency, but any excuse to travel.)

Guest WhammeWhamme

Speaking of werewolves...

In 1982, Remus Lupin is fresh from the war against Voldemort. With two of his best friends dead and the third in prison for their murder, and harboring a secret that would make him an outcast in the Wizarding World, he has nothing better to do than work for a mysterious government agency as an expert on the occult. (Obviously, not a well-paying government agency, but any excuse to travel.)

Really?

As far as I can tell, assigning any dates to the whole thing is arbitrary.

(if you DO have a reason for a firm date, please... explicate)

OTOH, saying "this is how/when it was" is a nifty idea. 8)

Really?

As far as I can tell, assigning any dates to the whole thing is arbitrary.

(if you DO have a reason for a firm date, please... explicate)

OTOH, saying "this is how/when it was" is a nifty idea. 8)

http://www.urbangeek.net/timelines/potter1.html

Is where I got it from. Mind, there are a couple of contrary bits in the canon itself (Dudley somehow got a Playstation a year earlier than they were introduced in Britain) but it's close enough to work for this sort of crossover adventure.

At the risk of getting dangerously off-topic:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timeline.html

is the definitive place for HP timelimes. Praised and used by JKR herself, it is the result of incredibly smart and incisive people with buckets of free time on their hands.

Keith "in awe" Curtis

Okay, I've settled on the PCs: Buckaroo Banzai, Steve Austin, Mark "Man From Atlantis" Harris, Daniel "Invisible Man" Westin, Jonathan "Manimal" Chase, and Carrie White. I've also more or less got the plot figured- no further details in case future players might be lurking about. Thanks for all your help! dw

Misfits of science

Last starfighter

Iceman (the frozen neandertal)

One of the pilots brought back by the ETs Close Encounters

The old man who was waiting for the ship at the end of "The final Countdown"

The whole gang from Big Trouble in little China

The ninja from "Enter the Ninja"

Captain Nemo, (I forget the show where he was back, still alive, with a laser weapon on the Nautilus)

It was a little out of date, but the survivor from "Gorgoyles" bad movie I know, but...

Automan

Col. Matrix from Commando

Maria from "I love Maria" Hong kong action/cybernetics/cyberpunk Comedy...

ET

One of the family who had been trapped in the Bermuda Triangle in that low budget TV show...

Hey gang! It's about time for me to start writing the "Official Hero Con Adventure" for 2005, which I'll run probably half-a-dozen times over the course of the year at various shows and events. Last year's "Pulp All-Stars" was a pretty successful adventure, pitting Doc Savage, the Shadow, Tarzan, Mandrake, the Saint, Nancy Drew and occasionally Indiana Jones against the malevolent menace of the Volcano Master in 1936.

In that spirit, this year's event will be a similar collection of all-stars, except this time around the year is 1982, the Cold War is on, and the heroes will no doubt be heavy on bionics and talking cars. So I'm looking for suggestions of characters, shticks and events that absolutely need to be in the story. Keep in mind the following ground rules:

1) No comic-book superheroes. (There are occasionally gray areas on this, but no straightforward costumed heroes owned by Marvel or DC are allowed.) OTOH, frex, "Greatest American Hero" is in fact available. (So don't bother to mention him, 'cause he's already in the plot.)

2) No characters or events from settings impossible to reconcile with the "real world." So, no Star Wars characters, since it's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. OTOH, "Star Trek" might be a possible future, so connections to that timeline are allowed. (Gary Seven is an established character in our timeline.)

3) Crossovers and connections between characters, a la "Wold Newton" but without so much obsession over family relations, are not only allowed but actively encouraged. Continuing with our GAH example, Kelly Robinson and Bill Maxwell are clearly the same guy, with some sort of incident in between the shows that led to him changing his name. Likewise, John Drake is Number Six, and Jaime Sommers did in fact wind up in the Village. (If the preceding doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry about it.)

So let's hear some ideas! dw

The two main Characters from "Cat People" Miss Kinski could be looking for help or a cure... Mama Mia!!!

A pox upon you, 1985!

That's when Tim Curry played "Evil" in Legend. He'd have been a perfect bad guy. Maybe working for J.R. Ewing...

Oh well. Of course, if you stretch to 1983, there's the cat fight between Alexis and Krystle on Dynasty. Local color AND clothes with giant shoulderpads!